What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time To Panic ? PAC 12 Quickly Falling Behind Rivals

How much would signing a Direct TV contract bring to the table?
Will the AT & T - Time Warner deal have any effect in getting a contract done with Direct TV.

Will the AT & T - Time Warner deal have any effect in getting a contract done with Direct TV.
My understanding of it is the DTV will not pay the rate that all the other carriers have agreed to pay the Pac-12. All, or at least many, of those other contracts are structured so that their deal changes to the "best world" deal the Pac-12 signs on rates. So, a DTV deal actually costs the P12 a ton of money if it agrees to the rate DTV wants to pay due to that deal lowering the rate everyone else is paying. Some distribution is gained, but it hurts the bottom line in the process.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Larry Scott does not work for the AD's of the Pac12. He works for the presidents.

Key to understanding P12N and to answering all varieties of the question ‘Why P12N’ is that P12N work for the Universities and not just Athletics

It might be a short term gain. In the long run its a loser.

There's been a drastic change among legacy media company executives the last two years. Their CEOs won't say it publicly, but they're saying it privately: The pay-TV bundle, the lifeblood of the U.S. media ecosystem for decades, is dying.

There's a lot of places to blame. Competition on mobile devices. Video games. Even the internet in general. But executives at most traditional media companies agree that Netflix, if not directly responsible, is at least holding the murder weapon.

Netflix gained 92 million customers in the last five years while the number of people who pay for cable declines year after year.

Chasing scale isn't the answer for every media company, according to Netflix CFO David Wells.

"Not everybody's going to get big," Wells said in an interview. "The strategic question is, 'what type of business do I want to be in the next five or 10 years?'"

Legacy giants are now beginning to contemplate how to beat Netflix at its own game. Comcast, which owns CNBC parent NBCUniversal, has had preliminary talks with AT&T to start an over-the-top digital streaming service with NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. content, according to people familiar with the matter. Discovery is also pondering its own OTT service, potentially with a global technology company, said other sources. Disney is debuting its streaming service next year.

Wells is skeptical about this approach. "The consumer doesn't want 100 direct-to-consumer services," he said. "The consumer wants great breadth and amazing personalization so they can find something in 30 seconds instead of five minutes."

I agree with Wells that consumers will still want some neat little package to tie it all up in. As an Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/SlingTV/Over the Air household it is a little confusing to find what I want to watch across 4 platforms.

The problem for the Pac12 and the Pac12 Network is what is that landscape future going to look like and how will they fit into it. So far the Amazons and Netflix types have not bought into live sports content preferring something that appeals to a broader audience. So were stuck with Fox/FS1, ABC/ESPN, CBS to buy our content. We have to keep in mind that live sports content is "stale" just a minute after its happened live and has little to no value on rebroadcast. While a season of Orange is the New Black or Walking Dead can be shown over and over.

As to the original point, if DTV signed the P12N, would I go back? I was paying $135 a month for an $84.99 monthly package, a lot of haggling, and DVRs that would break every 6 months. So Probably not.

Higher education in Asia is taking off and will probably take the prestigious spots from US institutions in the next two decades. That causes panic at Stanford and Cal and....

Necessarily, PAC12 schools are coming to see themselves as part of a Pacific region for higher education. That is with whom they are competing/collaborating.

http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20180615131241142
https://www.forbes.com/sites/inside...should-choose-a-college-in-asia/#499f2f384ead

This is what the PAC12 admins who run the PAC12N are concerned with. The PAC12N is just one of many marketing tools for them...they could give a **** about the revenue gap between other conferences, or football...a sport that might not even exist in 20 years.

Last edited:
Here's a breakdown of how the 5 conferences stack up with comps.
Over the next 6 years, BIG schools will get $105m/per school more than Pac 12 ($17.5m/school/year)
Hint: Every other P5 conference is also getting more money and ACC is about to separate even further once their network is launched.

Here's a breakdown of how the 5 conferences stack up with comps.
Over the next 6 years, BIG schools will get $105m/per school more than Pac 12 ($17.5m/school/year)
Hint: Every other P5 conference is also getting more money and ACC is about to separate even further once their network is launched.

These numbers aren't nearly as bad as they seem because they don't take into account the mass revenue that will be coming in from the China distribution and all the Olympic sports.

So I got an email from 247 this morning regarding this exact scenario. I don’t know if the breakdowns were initially in this thread per school. Something that stands out is Oregon ( **** YOU!!!!!) Our students shell out 1.6 million a year and the school pays out 10.9 million for a total revenue of 94 million vs 90 spent. Oregon shells out 271K and the students pay not a dime. Yet their revenue is 145 million vs an expense of 114. Their contributions and brand are worth 110 million. We have 40 million less in contributions and 16 million less in our brand. That’s an insane gap and the school is paying for the difference, no wonder the students are complaining all the time.

So I got an email from 247 this morning regarding this exact scenario. I don’t know if the breakdowns were initially in this thread per school. Something that stands out is Oregon ( **** YOU!!!!!) Our students shell out 1.6 million a year and the school pays out 10.9 million for a total revenue of 94 million vs 90 spent. Oregon shells out 271K and the students pay not a dime. Yet their revenue is 145 million vs an expense of 114. Their contributions and brand are worth 110 million. We have 40 million less in contributions and 16 million less in our brand. That’s an insane gap and the school is paying for the difference, no wonder the students are complaining all the time.
Phil. Knight.

Phil. Knight.
Yep. Lots of money in shoes. Hell, CU doesn't get the practice facility built for BB & VB without shoe money leading. And that's frickin Crocs money I'm talking about. Oregon's got Nike money backing them.

Unreal...the Pac's problems summed up nicely in this article. This is hilarious because it's crossed all of our mind's to do it.
upload_2018-7-3_13-55-30.png
The finance manager of an Illinois car dealership has been accused of pretending to be a Lake Delton restaurant employee in phone calls with a cable company.
His aim, police say, was to change the restaurant’s cable package so he could watch a basketball game when he visited the area for the weekend.
http://www.kvoa.com/story/38539786/...age-to-watch-arizona-wildcats-basketball-game

Back