What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

TN VOLS fans coming to UCLA/Colorado game

https://www.colorado.edu/pts/sites/default/files/attached-files/2018_cu_football_parking_map_0.pdf

RV parking 414 and 470 - I usually see one r two parked in 470. Really do not think CU is a BIG RV tailgater

need to focus on improving the sound system. Focus on what's needed 1st then smaller less important projects.

This isn't something that will get in the way of other priorities.

This isn't talking about trying to go full SEC and make space for a thousand RVs, it is a relatively small number and as mentioned earlier is not a large amount of money with a fast payback.

Sound system, stadium restrooms, concession areas, Balch, etc. would not be impacted in any way by this other than the AD making some extra money.

Does anyone take advantage of the on campus RV option now?

Some of the rigs around Farrand Field and Sackygate look big enough to sleep in. I’m specifically referencing the Buffulance and a sports mobile van with the horns on the roof rack.

When overnight parking is prohibited, “taking advantage” is probably is the wrong word choice when referring to RV parking in lot 470. These days I’m mostly aware of RVs in hotel parking lots.

Like 4Dem mentioned (or whomever that pilot is that moved from the Carolinas to Longmont:ROFLMAO:) the Gold Lot and the lot down by Boulder Creek prior to the IPF construction was more RV friendly. The Gold Lot was a lot of fun when people could park on it.

I don’t doubt that If there were overnight accommodations and more spaces for trucks pulling smoker trailers, there would be fans and parents visiting their kiddos who would be willing to take advantage of that opportunity.

I find it fascinating that with Wyoming having a successful model for an RV tailgate lot and with how large our state is with so many people that enjoy taking their RVs and campers to national & state parks, that the negativity toward this is so high. It's bizarre to me.

There's a weird contingent among CU fans that hates change and is deeply skeptical about anything other than having a program where 40k people from the metro show up for the games, enter the stadium at the end of the 1st quarter, and leave before the final whistle. It's as if people like their nice little bubble and can't break out of that to be like other, more successful, programs. Uncomfortable with sidewalk fans, too, because these CU fans wore it as a badge of honor defense mechanism for years against the other Big 8/12 schools to tell them that most of their fans didn't even go to their school -- as if that's a bad thing. Is CU the flagship school for this state that represents Colorado? Or is it a cliquey quasi private school that wants to stay within a little bubble that looks down on most people in the state as unwelcome?
The poll isn’t active yet, Nik

First off, I'd like to thank @UTVols for the recap. It's nice to hear about game day atmosphere here from a fan from a historically good program/fanbase.

Now that we've turned this into a thread about RV tailgating and I've read every post, I'm trying to understand why so many are vehemently against it. I feel like it fits in with this strange phenomenon recently where if there is something that you wouldn't do or don't like, although it doesn't affect you negatively at all, or at least very minimally, people think it's ok to aggressively oppose it. From what I've gathered on here, there are three main reasons for opposition...

1.) The thought that it would be an eyesore for Boulder.
As stated before, it's in a parking lot that already would have vehicles. It's 6 to 7 weekends a year. It isn't a homeless tent city with people taking dumps in the open. This seems like Boulder pretension. It has at the most a minimal impact on anyone on campus or in the community. Give me a break.

2.) Nobody would use the spots/participate.
Based on what? There have been a few, just on this thread, that said they would use it. I currently don't own a camper, but have been debating purchasing one. If this was available it would put me over the edge and I'd buy one and utilize this at least once a season. I'm just under an hour drive east, but I would go up and stay. The pain in the ass of dealing with traffic on HWY 36, dealing with the mess that is getting on and off campus on game day, and not having to worry about getting there and back while drinking make it beyond worth it. I have a lot of friends who live in eastern Colorado who would do it. I feel like it has potential, especially once people saw how fun the atmosphere was, and as more fun and wild setups continued to show up. A good atmosphere doesn't spontaneously manifest out of thin air. It has to start and build when people see it's a lot of fun and worthwhile. TBH, I think the general inconvenience of getting into Boulder, finding a place to stay, and trying to park on game day actually makes this more likely to be successful than people think.

3.) Bad use of money.
This take is the one that I understand the most. I understand we have other places we could use the money (i.e the third world piss troughs and 1980s sound system). My issue with that is, this isn't going to cost a ton of money to do. You can start on an existing lot, add electric hookups, just repaint lines and make entrance/exit more RV friendly. You don't need sewer and water, I think just electric hookups would suffice. T-ing off an existent line nearby, running line underground, and building plug in hook ups for each spot wouldn't be difficult or very expensive. I've read like $100 a hook up for parts (and probably less than that in bulk). So $10,000 for 100 spots. Maybe $20-30k for dirt work and pavement in the lot. Maybe another $10k for running the lines and repainting. So $50k total. Say you want to try and recoup your investment in a year. 6 games, 100 spots, so 600 billable spots a year (just for football). $50,000/600= $83.33 per spot per game. Yeah you won't sell them out, at least not every game. Charge $150-200+ minimum a game. I would pay that, still less than a hotel/parking/uber/etc with the benefit of being able to have a sweet tailgating setup, your own place to sleep, and a place to drop a deuce while tailgating on a seat that 200 drunk people haven't pissed on.

If the University set it up where you couldn't arrive before say 5-6 pm on Friday, and had to be out by like 11 am on Sunday, it wouldn't interfere with many school functions. Hell, I'd even invite all you dickheads to my RV tailgate and I don't even know any of you (except @Burrito Palazzo, he's not invited until we get a Colfax Culinary tour update).

Last edited:
@Big Iron Buff
Solid post.

A couple things worth considering.

One is that they wouldn't even have to repaint a parking lot. Pick a different color for the lines and put down the lines over top of the existing lines.

For the electrical hook-ups they also could install a few permanent hubs and run temporary movable hook-ups off those hubs. In the off-season these units are stored saving them from damage and wear.

Back