What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Todd Saliman is Sole Finalist for CU President

My bold prediction is that nothing changes. This is the safe hire, like hiring Phil to be the Chancellor was 20 some years ago.

Athletics won't get more support.

Academics won't change much.

The school will continue its slow descent and malaise.

But the budget might be balanced, so yay that.

Also: the point about Phil not going anywhere is spot on. There is absolutely nothing that indicates he wants to or will retire anytime soon. Absent a bold leader pushing him out to create change and/or bring their own person in, he isn't going anywhere.

My bold prediction is that nothing changes. This is the safe hire, like hiring Phil to be the Chancellor was 20 some years ago.

Athletics won't get more support.

Academics won't change much.

The school will continue its slow descent and malaise.

But the budget might be balanced, so yay that.

Also: the point about Phil not going anywhere is spot on. There is absolutely nothing that indicates he wants to or will retire anytime soon. Absent a bold leader pushing him out to create change and/or bring their own person in, he isn't going anywhere.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I don't see Todd pushing anyone out. I worry that he will be pushed around by the campuses, which isn't what CU needs.

CU needs to centralize, reduce redundant services between campus, change the University structure to stop the campuses from competing with one another, and frankly create a cross- campus student experience that spans traditional 4-yr, hybrid and online models.

The campuses will never let their fiefdoms go that direction, and Todd won't force it. Michelle Marks will drive UCD over a cliff. DiStefano or an equivalent will stay and Boulder will stay stagnant. UCCS will continue to claw it out, and Anschutz will be fine.

That is why I want to hear his vision. Kennedy sucked, but was at least clear on 1) technology and 2) online education.

Leave it to CU to hire within the family. He's not going to rock the boat and I fear the status quo will remain. CU will continue to slip in academic rankings and athletics will continue its 20-year trajectory. The rot starts at the top on the CU Boulder campus, I hope he sees that at the very least.

Who the hell knows.

On paper, Betsy Hoffman looked well qualified and look what a total disaster she turned out to be. And it grates me that CU officially calls her "President Emerita." Whatever the hell that is supposed to mean--I thought that the title "emeritus" or "emerita" was supposed to recognize someone with a career of distinguished service, not a five-year president who resigned under multiple scandals.

Maybe Saliman will turn out to be the next Gordon Gee. I'd settle for half a Gee.

Who the hell knows.

On paper, Betsy Hoffman looked well qualified and look what a total disaster she turned out to be. And it grates me that CU officially calls her "President Emerita." Whatever the hell that is supposed to mean--I thought that the title "emeritus" or "emerita" was supposed to recognize someone with a career of distinguished service, not a five-year president who resigned under multiple scandals.

Maybe Saliman will turn out to be the next Gordon Gee. I'd settle for half a Gee.
Hell, I'd settle for Gor-Don

I know someone "in the know' who also knows him. They says he's a nice guy who will be in way over his head.
This is a concern of mine. That he allows the incompetent leaders who have allowed the Boulder campus to slide into abject mediocrity to continue their efforts. He won’t do it purposely, but out of convenience and a desire to avoid confrontation. He’s going to allow the inmates to run the asylum.
I guess we will see. Hard to be too judgmental at this stage.

My feeling is that Chancellor Phil will be gone by this fall semester, based on the "noise" and his lack of his recent interactions. Nothing I know for sure to defend that thought, but maybe 'hope' is the biggest thing.

I know someone "in the know' who also knows him. They says he's a nice guy who will be in way over his head.
Public funds, tenure systems, and ivory towers tend to foster such things

Since they opted for the under-qualified route, I’m honestly surprised that they didn’t at least try to check a box with a disadvantaged demographic

Last edited:
More of the same old stuff and it seems like that is something that has filtered down to the AD too.

I don’t feel this is a disaster. It’s not a bad hire, it just isn’t terribly inspired. It says a lot about what the focus and priorities of the BoR is, though. They value stability and fiscal accountability. If they get some other benefits, we’ll, that would be great.

Isn't there about to be a decent turnover on the BOR as well? We know Kroll, who is leading this search, isn't running again. How motivated are they to go through what I'm sure would be a much lengthier selection process than the guy who has been in this position for almost a year now? Maybe that's unfair of me to say.

I don’t feel this is a disaster. It’s not a bad hire, it just isn’t terribly inspired. It says a lot about what the focus and priorities of the BoR is, though. They value stability and fiscal accountability. If they get some other benefits, we’ll, that would be great.

You dont know that.

And the truth is that it is a bad hire (at face value) because CU has never needed a strong visionary leader more than the last few years.

You dont know that.

And the truth is that it is a bad hire (at face value) because CU has never needed a strong visionary leader more than the last few years.
We know it’s a safe hire and it’s not bad in the sense that we would be getting another Kennedy type. Any hire can become a bad hire, but we do know that it’s not bad. It’s just not great. It’s meh.

Here is Saliman's background, for anyone interested:

Back