What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Todd Saliman is Sole Finalist for CU President

Feels like a “don’t rock the boat” kind of hire. I suppose that’s ok. Long term, I think the university really needs somebody who can help steer the ship a little better than it has been for the last several years. I think the best we can hope for here is that he pays more attention to the Boulder campus than his predecessors.

Good financial background, which will be critical, and has great connections to the legislature.

Want to hear his vision before I make a full judgement, but not as splashy as I expected

Welcome to Todd!

I am an academic at heart, so not to the moon on the hire. I’m will to let this play out, I don’t think it’s a bad fit at all, just misses a few areas important to me. CU is such a large organization that probably from the business side of the university he will excel but it doesn’t spark academic or educational excitement. I do believe he is passionate about education and student success (unlike Kennedy) but I definitely want to see the roadmap for making CU enrollees better thinkers and stronger students.

I hope he can find a good complement of academic vigor to fill the Chancellor position. Ideally a powerful voice for the campus community; motivating culture, research and academics.

Just wondering what the University President candidate pool looks like, because as alumni/public we never get much insight to the hiring process. Are there really any strong PhDs chasing these positions anymore, or has the corporate university model taken over? Is the CU Regent structure too much of a bureaucratic web that candidates are overlooked or never apply?

I look at my two Universities, CU and Memphis, both have hired new presidents and after learning about both I can’t lie that i am a bit envious of Memphis’s hire (Dr. Bill Hardgrave).

Last edited:
I will also add that Todd is not a political hire. He doesn't have that type of baggage like Kennedy and even Benson. That should help a lot with building consensus, which is critical at CU
It will be interesting to see what direction he leads once he has established his power base and personal authority. Not someone who comes in with gravitas or a mandate, so I'd expect more subtle moves for a while. I think the choice for Chancellor will be telling.

We are all acting like he will be making a move to hire a Boulder Chancellor and Phil hasn’t indicated he’s going anywhere.

Welcome to Tom!

I am an academic at heart, so not to the moon on the hire. I’m will to let this play out, I don’t think it’s a bad fit at all, just misses a few areas important to me. CU is such a large organization that probably from the business side of the university he will excel but it doesn’t spark academic or educational excitement. I do believe he is passionate about education and student success (unlike Kennedy) but I definitely want to see the roadmap for making CU enrollees better thinkers and stronger students.

I hope he can find a good complement of academic vigor to fill the Chancellor position. Ideally a powerful voice for the campus community; motivating culture, research and academics.

Just wondering what the University President candidate pool looks like, because as alumni/public we never get much insight to the hiring process. Are there really any strong PhDs chasing these positions anymore, or has the corporate university model taken over? Is the CU Regent structure too much of a bureaucratic web that candidates are overlooked or never apply?

I look at my two Universities, CU and Memphis, both have hired new presidents and after learning about both I can’t lie that i am a bit envious of Memphis’s hire (Dr. Bill Hardgrave).
Not sure if your misspelling of his first name is intentional or not. His name is Todd. But maybe you knew that?

One thing that will be very telling for me is if he moves the office of the President back to Boulder. Hank Brown moved it to Denver and it’s been there ever since. The idea was to be closer to the legislature. I don’t think that’s as important as it was 20 years ago. I’d prefer to have the office of the President located at the flagship campus.

Welcome to Tom!

I got emails from the Board of Regents discussing the process. I wish I saved them and would copy and paste, but on the surface the stated process sounded fine. From memory, it was as follows:

1. They assembled an advisory panel from stakeholders (students, alumni, faculty, admin, BoR, donors, locals, state govt, etc.)
2. They hired a nationally recognized search firm
3. They had lots of interest, whittled to 50 on first run. Of that group, there were more women than men, and I think 15 were people of color etc.
4. Whittled down to five for rigorous interviewing by regents

I guess of that five, Saliman was the choice. I’m sort of surprised it was so quick because the last email I received was fairly recent, certainly within a week.

Process seemed ok, though.

Saliman isn’t a disastrous choice, unlike the last guy.

Salimann is a safe non controversial choice. Unlikely to push major change, but we’ll see.

Last edited:
Just got a new email today with this:

The inclusive search process for CU’s next president launched in September, when the board began holding listening sessions with more than 40 stakeholder groups and soliciting written comments.

The next step was building a search committee that represents the diversity of the university and the state. The board requested that CU community members nominate their peers to serve on the search committee. Many of the members selected came from this group. Every university stakeholder group had a seat or seats on the committee, including students, faculty, staff, deans, alumni and donors, and community groups, and the committee represented Colorado’s diversity.

The board insisted on having a highly qualified and diverse candidate pool. To achieve that, the board hired Storbeck Search, a national recruiting firm with a reputation for building diverse search pools. Hundreds of people expressed interest in the job, and Storbeck presented the search committee with a highly qualified and diverse pool of 39 candidates: 13 women and 26 men – 13 candidates from Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) groups – from 20 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and international candidates.

Others report he downs a shot of Buffalo Trace with Rick before football games

Rick is safe could be one interpretation.
The fact he supports football is a plus. RG is here through the end of his contract unless they have to terminate for cause. I see this as a positive. PD is the one that needs a pink slip immediately

I got emails from the Board of Regents discussing the process. I wish I saved them and would copy and paste, but on the surface the stated process sounded fine. From memory, it was as follows:

1. They assembled an advisory panel from stakeholders (students, alumni, faculty, admin, BoR, donors, locals, state govt, etc.)
2. They hired a nationally recognized search firm
3. They had lots of interest, whittled to 50 on first run. Of that group, there were more women than men, and I think 15 were people of color etc.
4. Whittled down to five for rigorous interviewing by regents

I guess of that five, Saliman was the choice. I’m sort of surprised it was so quick because the last email I received was fairly recent, certainly within a week.

Process seemed ok, though.

Saliman isn’t a disastrous choice, unlike the last guy.
Thanks!

Back