What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 10 Coaches to Replace Hawk - Bleacher Report

He already turned it down once.. I'm not a huge fan of going back to Dick Tharp's idea.

Kubiak has also got a lot of support among ATM fans, seems. his favorite son status never seems to take a hit on Aggie boards. he could very well end up in College Station at some point. Kubiak and Mike Sherman could both be out of a job at about the same time. though, i think Patterson takes that job.

I will take guys who love the university and have a passion for recruiting over some list of guys just waiting for a better job.

probably already been mentioned but i don't think any of those 10 are remote possibilities to actually be hired.

(Yawn)....

Let me know when a list comes out that doesn't include Mike Price.

When the predecessor Dennis Erickson sux you know you in trouble....

Top of my list would be Mark Richt. He's apparently worn out his welcome in Athens, and the guy knows college football. He can recruit and he's not intimidated by competition. Second on the list is Les Miles. Fron what I can gather, the folks in Louisiana are flat out nuts, and whatever success they have isn't good enough. I think one or both of these coaches will be available at the end of the year.

MR teams=soft
LM teams=undisciplined

MR teams=soft
LM teams=undisciplined

Richt has won a lot of games though on the road. He's hit a rough patch but I still think he's a good coach.

Les Miles is just complete chaos. I love the guy and his passion but his teams end up in the wildest games I have ever seen. Les's coaching sure would bring some interesting debate among the water cooler crowd if he came here.

Still those two are complete longshots at best. Both are making over 3 million.

This program needs a big-time recruiter, period. The diamond-in-the-ruff approach didn't work and it isn't going to work, especially in a state like Colorado where the local talent is limited and most or all of the D1-caliber players stand out and get noticed. There just aren't a whole lot of CO players slipping through the cracks, IMO.

CU lacks talent, straight up... not a slight to the current players, but we were getting run off the field by Toledo. Their team speed made ours look pathetic. That is unacceptable. We have some good individual players, but as a whole, we aren't up to par and I don't think we are very close to even being a middle-of-the-road team in either the p10 or the b12.

The hot commodity from a small school didn't work with Hawkins. We need a coordinator from a big football school with a track record who is enthusiastic and will put this program on the map. I don't care if he isn't some kind of spread wizard or offensive guru (aka what Dan Hawkins was supposed to be)... cfb is about talent and we don't have a whole lot of it. Scheme is important but the teams that win conferences and the teams that win championships and BCS bowl games are the teams that are the most talented. CU is going to win football games and be competitive by recruiting, not by some gimmick system... there are a handful of teams in the entire nation that win without great talent (TT under Leach - which is debatable because that system attracted WR's and QB's - and Boise State). We can't expect to do that here.

Last edited:
Why does the state prohibit multi year deals with coaching assistants? I've heard its part of TABOR but I guess I'm not sure of the rationale behind it. All the state schools are hurt by this not just CU. Does anybody here know why Colorado has this restriction? And has there been any serious talk of making any changes to TABOR? Thanks

Here is what I would like to see...

A coordinator level coach at a successful BCS program. One that has worked under one of the top coaches in the country. And has a reputation as a top recruiter. That is a formula that worked in the past.

That is what we need! Also after seeing all those coaches coach their alma maters, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to hire CU alums to be the HC of the Buffs.

GOOD LORD PLEASE DO NOT LET Dick Rod come to CU... He is burying scUM....

I would love to see Les Miles back at Colorado, he was my uncles O line coach when he played there.

Why does the state prohibit multi year deals with coaching assistants? I've heard its part of TABOR but I guess I'm not sure of the rationale behind it. All the state schools are hurt by this not just CU. Does anybody here know why Colorado has this restriction? And has there been any serious talk of making any changes to TABOR? Thanks

Part of TABOR says that state employees cannot be given multi-year contracts, since the state budget is recalculated every year based on factors like population growth and inflation.

Originally this applied to ALL state employees, including the head football coach at CU. Several years after TABOR was enacted, the law was amended to allow institutions like CU a certain number of exemptions to this rule (I forget the exact number). CU used some of their exemptions for the head football and basketball coaches, but there simply weren't enough exemptions to include all of the assistant coaches.

Another potentially huge change on the horizon is the whispers of CU possibly going private. If that did happen, one of the benefits would be no longer being subjected to TABOR laws.

Part of TABOR says that state employees cannot be given multi-year contracts, since the state budget is recalculated every year based on factors like population growth and inflation.

Originally this applied to ALL state employees, including the head football coach at CU. Several years after TABOR was enacted, the law was amended to allow institutions like CU a certain number of exemptions to this rule (I forget the exact number). CU used some of their exemptions for the head football and basketball coaches, but there simply weren't enough exemptions to include all of the assistant coaches.

Another potentially huge change on the horizon is the whispers of CU possibly going private. If that did happen, one of the benefits would be no longer being subjected to TABOR laws.

Do you have a link to anything substantive on this? I do not see CU going private anytime soon - if ever.

Do you have a link to anything substantive on this? I do not see CU going private anytime soon - if ever.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_14482541http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news

Doesn't look like CU will ever be able to do in unless the voters in Colorado amend the constitution. That will never happen so I guess our school will continue to get screwed. My experience being a federal employee once your program gets cut you never get it more funding. I wonder how long until CU goes from 3.3% to 0% of its budget funded by the state.

Last edited:
We will get a good coach when the time comes. Being in the p12 means we will be looking for someone who knows the conf and who recruits well in socal. The timing will be good and we will get a nice recruiting pop from it.

We all just have to take a step back and realize this year will likely suck. Think of it as our last penance before we are redeemed.

No sense in bitchimg about hawk bc he Is here for now. The good news is that this staff has a looming expiration date and they will not dodge it again.

No sense in bitchimg about hawk bc he Is here for now. The good news is that this staff has a looming expiration date and they will not dodge it again.

We need to make sure they don't dodge it. That's my biggest concern. While I agree with you that there isn't much we can do, one thing we can do is continue to expect changes to be made. If we sit back and say nothing, it could send the message that we're fine with the status quo.

We need to make sure they don't dodge it. That's my biggest concern. While I agree with you that there isn't much we can do, one thing we can do is continue to expect changes to be made. If we sit back and say nothing, it could send the message that we're fine with the status quo.

I agree. The last thing we need is for them to think that this move to the 12 PAC fit into Hawks style of football better(although we cant figure out what that is) and try to give him another chance.

we need to keep on the Admins because while the Pac move is great for CU (i think)....it neither 1. is a big "start over" button that erases the on-field failures of the last 4 year and 2. is not a laurel resting place for the AD or DiStephano.

From Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410292-10-coaches-to-replace-dan-hawkins-at-colorado

Top 10 Coaches to Replace Hawk

10. Troy Calhoun (Air Force - Head Coach)
9. Mike Price (UTEP - Head Coach)
8. Todd Graham (Tulsa- Head Coach)
7. Brent Venables (Oklahoma - Defensive Coordinator)
6. Eric Kiesau (Colorado - Offensive Coordinator)
5. Rich Rodriguez (Michigan - Head Coach)
4. Dave Christensen (Wyoming - Head Coach)
3. Norm Chow (UCLA - Offensive Coordinator)
2. Guz Malzahn (Auburn - Offensive Coordinator)
1. Chris Petersen (Boise State - Head Coach)

Some pretty disturbing names on this list. Petersen may have been the brains, but I think I might puke if we hire another Boise guy.

off that list this is your guy. even if i was okay with another BSU guy there is small chance of Peterson leaving.

off that list this is your guy. even if i was okay with another BSU guy there is small chance of Peterson leaving.

He was the HS coach who got the OC job at Arkansas because of his HS player Mitch Mustain and several others who he steered to the razorbacks. Lot of unrest during his short tenure there. I would vet him thoroughly before deciding he was the guy.

If Price gets another BCS coaching gig it will be back at Wazzu. Two Rose Bowls for the Cougs in less than a decade's time, plus I believe he left the school on good terms. As Paul Wulff isn't working out there I see Price going back as the nostalgia hire, coaching through whatever contract they give him and retiring. Not a long-term investment in the program but I don't see them doing any better than that anytime soon.

As for CU, they better find someone who is a proven talent magnet at the BCS level or having Wazzu on the schedule will be the only given that they avoid going winless in a Pac-12 season.

T. We need a coordinator from a big football school with a track record who is enthusiastic and will put this program on the map.

and these guys grow on trees!! Coaches will be lining up for a chance to coach for a university that is notorious for its mediocre support of the athletic dept., can't pay a whole lot of money and resides in a recruiting dead zone.

and these guys grow on trees!! Coaches will be lining up for a chance to coach for a university that is notorious for its mediocre support of the athletic dept., can't pay a whole lot of money and resides in a recruiting dead zone.

this is b12-era thinking.

there is a hotbed of coaching talent in the p12 ranks. an up and comer WILL want the job. plus, we'll have more $$ from the new tv deal (down the road) and renewed support from the fans with the new conf. and new coach. and, the socal recruiting will be more open to us since we can promise guys they will play at home in conference road games.

don't be so negative. we ain't dead yet. we took a haymaker to the chin, but we've got a chance to get up.

What about Mark Mangino? Did he land anywhere after the KU outting?...If you can turn KU a huge basketball school into a good football program I can only imagine what he could do with CU in a town like Boulder.

What about Mark Mangino? Did he land anywhere after the KU outting?...If you can turn KU a huge basketball school into a good football program I can only imagine what he could do with CU in a town like Boulder.

Proved to be a great gameday coach and picked many diamonds in the rough on the recruiting trail. A disciple of Bill Snyder and Bob Stoops. His history of blowing his stack around players is probably a huge red flag and that plus a 50-48 overall record regardless of what school he was at will likely keep him out of the discussion when we look for our next HC. And he'd get really winded at this elevation.

I would pass Mangino and Leach - we don't need to give the Boulder Daily Camera or Denver Post any more ammo to write negative articles about the program than we have to. Even though CU has lost some of its appeal over the last 5-10 years as a destination, I still think we can still find a better fit than both of these guys.

Liver is right (I just thew up a little in my mouth for saying that). The move to the Pac should make this a far more attractive place for a potential head coach.

I'm very optimistic about the chances for us to attract a quality head football coach - and good assistants. Just a hunch, but I suspect that the admins are more committed to athletics than we give them credit for. If they truly didn't care, we wouldn't have made this move in the first place. We would have done what Jizla and so many of his ilk suggested, and downsized the department. The move to the Pac is going to enlarge the department.

The CU admin keeps a lot of stuff very close to the vest. I think we'll be very happy with how this turns out. Just a wild hunch.

Back