What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top remaining targets?

OkieBuffster

I’m sure we’ll see some new names pop up, but there are still obvious holes to fill and these seem to be the too remaining targets left from the early signing period. Seems like CU stands a good chance of getting a handful of these guys:

Cormani McClain, CB - What a tandem this would be.

Omarion Miller, WR - Adds to an already ridiculous WR room.

Seydou Treore, TE - Day 1 starter.

Kole Taylor, TE - Great fallback and would see lots of time.

Trey Sanders, RB - If not him then who? We need a RB or two desperately.

Kevin Corman Jr., WR - Would be an instant security blanket for our new QB.

Shilo Sanders, S - Would likely start.

Chimdy Onoh, OT - We really need a great high school OT to develop.

Willis Patrick, OL - Likely Day 1 starter.

Kasen Weisman, QB - Need another QB.

Smoke Bouie, CB - If they can’t land Cormani he would be a great backup plan and might also be a Day 1 starter.

Jimmy Horn Jr., WR - Seem to be the favorite here.

K’Vion Thunderbird, OLB - Another quick LB to develop.

DeeJay Holmes, DE - A high schooler to develop.

Kyran Bourda, DT - We desperately need DT’s.

Missing names

Arik Gilbert TE, freak talent, we need need a TE1 and TE2, Gilbert is an all around TE, Treore is an elite college pass catching one.

Massive need - A couple DTs, one being a NT

John Higgins S, very good college safety, can start day 1.

Herman Smith DB, versatile chess piece, you can play all over the secondary

Nyles Gaddy EDGE, all around EDGE, NFL potential

PJ Williams OL, versatility is key as well as talented.

I’m sure we’ll see some new names pop up, but there are still obvious holes to fill and these seem to be the too remaining targets left from the early signing period. Seems like CU stands a good chance of getting a handful of these guys:

Cormani McClain, CB - What a tandem this would be.

Omarion Miller, WR - Adds to an already ridiculous WR room.

Seydou Treore, TE - Day 1 starter.

Kole Taylor, TE - Great fallback and would see lots of time.

Trey Sanders, RB - If not him then who? We need a RB or two desperately.

Kevin Corman Jr., WR - Would be an instant security blanket for our new QB.

Shilo Sanders, S - Would likely start.

Chimdy Onoh, OT - We really need a great high school OT to develop.

Willis Patrick, OL - Likely Day 1 starter.

Kasen Weisman, QB - Need another QB.

Smoke Bouie, CB - If they can’t land Cormani he would be a great backup plan and might also be a Day 1 starter.

Jimmy Horn Jr., WR - Seem to be the favorite here.

K’Vion Thunderbird, OLB - Another quick LB to develop.

DeeJay Holmes, DE - A high schooler to develop.

Kyran Bourda, DT - We desperately need DT’s.i
It’s been asked before, but how many WRs can we practically take before we impact both that position group and other needs? Seems we are packed to the gills with increda-talent in that room. It’s an embarrassment of riches, of course.

It’s been asked before, but how many WRs can we practically take before we impact both that position group and other needs? Seems we are packed to the gills with increda-talent in that room. It’s an embarrassment of riches, of course.
Prime had 10 full scholarship WRs on a 63 man roster last year. It wouldn't shock me if they had 14 WRs with full scholarships. Last year, going into the spring, he had 13 WRs on full scholarship, cut 5 of them during the spring and added a couple for the summer. WR depth is massive to Prime. I heard last year, CU only had 6 WR on full scholarship, that's insane. I can see Prime cutting that TE scholarships room by half. WRs are the most hit or miss so you take a lot of swings if you are smart.

We currently sit at 13 with Horn and Coleman likely. Maybe the other JSU guy as well, so a possible 16 WRs before likely attrition after Spring.

They’ll be down to 12-13 I would think which is perfect for this offense

Prime had 10 full scholarship WRs on a 63 man roster last year. It wouldn't shock me if they had 14 WRs with full scholarships. Last year, going into the spring, he had 13 WRs on full scholarship, cut 5 of them during the spring and added a couple for the summer. WR depth is massive to Prime. I heard last year, CU only had 6 WR on full scholarship, that's insane. I can see Prime cutting that TE scholarships room by half. WRs are the most hit or miss so you take a lot of swings if you are smart.
Yeah, that wasn't accurate on CU's WR numbers. Possible that we were down to only 6 available due to injuries at some point last season. But it was 10 scholarship WRs with 4 walk ons.

Apparently, TEs are pretty hit and miss, too, as we seem to miss with all our scholarship TEs. (But that’s the old realm….)

Thanks for both assessments.

Last edited:
Missing names

Arik Gilbert TE, freak talent, we need need a TE1 and TE2, Gilbert is an all around TE, Treore is an elite college pass catching one.
Open recruitment. Maybe a Spring commit, idk.

Massive need - A couple DTs, one being a NT, looking for some Spring commits

John Higgins S, very good college safety, can start day 1.

Not coming to Colorado

Herman Smith DB, versatile chess piece, you can play all over the secondary.
No open spots at Colorado at DB means he night be staying at JSU.

Nyles Gaddy EDGE, all around EDGE, NFL potential - Stayed but was wanted badly by Colorado
PJ Williams OL, versatility is key as well as talented. - No info at this time

Cormani McClain, CB - What a tandem this would be. - Summer

Omarion Miller, WR - Adds to an already ridiculous WR room. - Signed

Seydou Treore, TE - Day 1 starter. - Signed

Kole Taylor, TE - Great fallback and would see lots of time. - No open spit, signed with West Virginia

Trey Sanders, RB - If not him then who? We need a RB or two desperately. - Colorado stopped recruiting RB for this class. No spot

Kevin Coleman Jr., WR - Would be an instant security blanket for our new QB. - Open spot, Colorado lean

Shilo Sanders, S - Would likely start. - Summer

Chimdy Onoh, OT - We really need a great high school OT to develop. - Summer

Willis Patrick, OL - Likely Day 1 starter. - No spot due to scheme. Will sign elsewhere or return back to JSU.

Kasen Weisman, QB - Need another QB. - Signed

Smoke Bouie, CB - If they can’t land Cormani he would be a great backup plan and might also be a Day 1 starter. Seems like a Summer signing but is a UGA lean.

Jimmy Horn Jr., WR - Seem to be the favorite here. - Signed

K’Vion Thunderbird, OLB - Another quick LB to develop. - Summer

DeeJay Holmes, DE - A high schooler to develop. -IDK

Kyran Bourda, DT - We desperately need DT’s. - IDK
Up to date 12/26/22

Right now, 86 kids are on full scholarships. P.J. Williams, Kevin Coleman Jr., and probably two DTs who I don't know right now will likely be offered going into the Spring.

Williams is a strong SMU lean.
Coleman Jr is a Colorado lean.
The Two DTs, I don't know yet.

It's likely two to three guys get their scholarship cut and have to enter the portal before Jan 1st.

As of right now
15 players signed
10 players entered the portal

No HS player at this point will count as an EE so anyone we sign that will count for Spring 2023 will be a transfer.

As of right now, Prime has one cut he has to make. If he signs more, he has to make more cuts

I am expecting 3 more signings (Coleman and two DLs). If he can land a really good 3rd DL or Arik Gilbert, I think he would be willing to sign him as he can just cut one of the TEs. If I had to bet, TE will be where 86 to 85 comes from. It's a bad room and there are too many scholarships players in it.

As of right now
15 players signed
10 players entered the portal

No HS player at this point will count as an EE so anyone we sign that will count for Spring 2023 will be a transfer.

As of right now, Prime has one cut he has to make. If he signs more, he has to make more cuts

I am expecting 3 more signings (Coleman and two DLs). If he can land a really good 3rd DL or Arik Gilbert, I think he would be willing to sign him as he can just cut one of the TEs. If I had to bet, TE will be where 86 to 85 comes from. It's a bad room and there are too many scholarships players in it.
Just a quick correction on the HS & JC recruits who sign in Feb or as late qualifiers in the summer and join for fall camp: they'll be booked as recruits rather than transfers. Semantics, but it matters if anyone is looking at our class ranks on 247.

The weird thing this year is we don't have the initial counter limits, so we can bring in as many new guys as we want within the overall limit of 85.

We're at 86, as you said, but that's actually kind of low. Normal to lose 5+ guys between now and fall camp. With the coaching change and open transfer exception this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see another 15ish lost to attrition. More than that is on the table. To start, I think we'll sign the full 25 recruits. Then maybe 5 more transfers.

hmm I feel like another RB seems super necessary, but I guess if we roll with Edwards, Venn, Smith, and Hankerson it's decentish if not tiny. I guess Stacks for big back, Stacks seems so recruitoverable
I'm not feeling like it's a desperate thing either, but I do feel it's a position which can be upgraded without too much difficulty. A vet who we'd trust to get tough yards, carry the load and be reliable in blitz pickup would make us better. And if the underclassmen took more snaps as the season progressed, that would be a good thing.

We currently sit at 13 with Horn and Coleman likely. Maybe the other JSU guy as well, so a possible 16 WRs before likely attrition after Spring.

They’ll be down to 12-13 I would think which is perfect for this offense
Everyone keeps taking about Coleman. Unless I’m mistaken, he hasn’t signed with CU.

Another TE. A decent RB. Always more OL. That's what the offensive focus should be. But none of those are must haves. On defense... More of everything. I'm seeing must haves at every position except possibly CB. Yea we return both DTs but ya gotta expect at least one will transfer.

My portal wishlist, in no particular order:

- DT or 2
- LB or 2
- OL
- TE
- RB

I'd love to see grad transfers so we'll have those scholarships open for the '24 class.

I'm cool with the rest being preps with maybe some JCs mixed in wheee we could benefit from backfilling some class balance.

On that note, there may also be position groups (WR comes to mind) where we may be under the desired number and class balance makes a JC or transfer the smarter play.

My portal wishlist, in no particular order:

- DT or 2
- LB or 2
- OL
- TE
- RB

I'd love to see grad transfers so we'll have those scholarships open for the '24 class.

I'm cool with the rest being preps with maybe some JCs mixed in wheee we could benefit from backfilling some class balance.

On that note, there may also be position groups (WR comes to mind) where we may be under the desired number and class balance makes a JC or transfer the smarter play.
... Does class balance matter anymore?

... Does class balance matter anymore?
I think so. I'm looking at it like MLB and free agency. Even though the Yankees and Dodgers can dominate free agency, it only seems like they're great when what's driving their roster is homegrown talent. I think we want to be like the current elites who have some priority transfer targets each year but mostly build their rosters through recruiting.

I think so. I'm looking it like MLB and free agency. Even though the Yankees and Dodgers can dominate free agency, it only seems like they're great when what's driving their roster is homegrown talent. I think we want to be like the current elites who have some priority transfer targets each year but mostly build their rosters through recruiting.
I think I agree. It's obviously not as important as it was before the portal, but still makes your life a lot easier if you recruit preps well. Hell, Georgia didn't even sign a prep QB because Kirby's planning to get his starter through the transfer portal every year. Can't do that every where every year though.

Also, it's probably cheaper than high value transfers. Or at least, will be soon.

Back