What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA @ CU Official Game thread?

Hey Tad..how many P12 schools are soliciting your services now? These players have gotten worse...horrid perimeter D and disfunctional offense....Krystowiak can coach circles around Boyle.

Boy the best part of this game is definitely the Opdivo drug commercials, because the Buffs seem to be suffering from all the side effects mentioned in the ad, namely: shortness of breath, chest pain, diarrhea, stomach pain, severe nausea, vomiting, fatigue, constipation, excessive thirst or urine, swollen ankles, loss of appetite, rash, itching, headache, confusion, hallucinations, muscle or joint pain, flushing, fever or weakness. But you can "live longer" if you take it.
Lethargy... you forgot lethargy.

When was the last time an opponent put up over 100 at the keg?

Alford just rained threes. Damn.

The posts in this thread are really stupid. UCLA is absolutely terrific. Lonzo Ball is a ****ing stud, he dominated that game without scoring. Alford was freaking scorching hot. Definitely the most talented offensive team that I've seen in Boulder since Tad has been here. They don't play much defense though, so I can't say they're better than some other great teams that have rolled into town.

Buffs played fine. Not great. But fine. Fortune riding the pine for most of the game was a positive. Play the freshmen. Buffs play like that against Arizona st, they win. Probably win playing like that against Utah too. Definitely beat the sheep playing at that level.

The posts in this thread are really stupid. UCLA is absolutely terrific. Lonzo Ball is a ****ing stud, he dominated that game without scoring. Alford was freaking scorching hot. Definitely the most talented offensive team that I've seen in Boulder since Tad has been here. They don't play much defense though, so I can't say they're better than some other great teams that have rolled into town.

Buffs played fine. Not great. But fine. Fortune riding the pine for most of the game was a positive. Play the freshmen. Buffs play like that against Arizona st, they win. Probably win playing like that against Utah too. Definitely beat the sheep playing at that level.

Definitely agree here with all of that. Fortune is a nice senior to have play 10 minutes or more if there is foul trouble, but I think we're better off seeing more of Brown and Peters; for this season and the future.

If Alford misses 3 of his contested, extremely deep, or off-balance 3's that he was draining at the start of the second half the game isn't double digits and there's a fight down to the end. I still think UCLA wins by 8-12 if Alford is not going off, but it would have looked and felt a lot different if there was a chance in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I do feel that the team gets really down when they miss shots and the other team is hitting their's. The game really got out of hand when the Buffs gave up a couple of easier buckets after Alford hit a really deep shot and one that was off balance and contested. It's hard to not be discouraged by that, but I feel like they don't always trust the process and get deflated and stop playing solid D and smart offense when the shots aren't going their way.

I also concur with this. Let's hope Boyle doesn't revert to playing Fortune again. I like the kid, of course, but it's better for the team to have Brown & Peters taking those minutes. Would like to see them get Akyazili's minutes as well. And see Peters start one.

UCLA is plain good. That's a legit top 5 hoops team. And we lost to them by just one more point than we lost to CSU (back when Fortune was getting 25mins a game). Go figure.

I didn't go back and read all the posts from last night, but I think I got a feel for the tone. Except for 3 point defense, which has been a concern in all but year one under Tad, I thought that last nights game was the best game this Buffs team has played all season...even better than the performance they had against Xavier. I think this speaks both for how they played last night and how poorly they've played in other games. If CU had played like this against BYU, Notre Dame, ASU or Utah they would have won all of those games. So good effort by the guys last night, but not nearly enough to beat a legit team.

They won't. They play to the level of their competition. I think that's obvious by now.

Probably the best 40min that this team has played all season. They looked a lot like how I expected them to look. They put up 89 pts (46.6%) on the #4 team in the nation. They were +6 on the boards and kept TO's to 11. Any other night against any other team and that is a dominant performance. Not much the buffs could do about UCLA hitting 19/31 from 3. Most of those were very contested too.

It's apparent we are lacking leadership from the players. JScott was a leader when he was here but no one seems to be a leader for this team now

Interesting that there was not one complaint on this game thread about fouls- maybe a first? I looked at a UCLA thread and complaints about fouls were a major theme. Since I didn't see the game (listened by radio) I can't comment on ref performance, but certainly getting 38 free throws (made 27) was a significant factor in keeping things closer. UCLA had 16 FT, made 15.

Re. complaints about Tad's game coaching - it's tough to coach a good game when you're up against a superb offensive team whose shots are falling like crazy. Keeping within 15 points was a pretty good performance under the circumstances. (19/31 from 3-pt???whattheheck?)

CU was out-talented for the first time this season. UCLA is an unbelievable offensive team- although I suspect they'll be out of the tournament before the sweet 16 or elite 8, since they don't play defense. A physical team that throws their weight around and gets UCLA off balance will have a good chance of a tourney upset.

As for the fouls, it was a direct result of UCLA playing (and obviously succeeding) at a perimeter-oriented style. Many possessions, UCLA never brought the ball inside the 3-point line. CU made an effort to get to the hole more than I've seen them do all season. Hence, lots of fouls on UCLA's interior bigs, who all looked stiff on the defensive end. Unfortunately, I think a lot of CU's success last night (pretty good shooting, limited turnovers, getting to the line) had to do with playing a sub-par defensive team who didn't really need to expend energy on that side of the court when they could score at will on the other end.

UCLA has a ton of talent and they were unconscious shooting last night. Our Defense, while it broke down at times, was not bad. Alford was just deadly and the team overall hit 15 3 pt shots.

A big concern is still our inability to score at the rim. We must have missed a dozen shots within 3 ft. We outrebounded the Bruins by 6 I believe.

I was encouraged by the play of Brown, Peters and Dom. Along with White, they were some of the more active and aggressive players on the court. White and Dom started to drive aggressively to the hoop and were fairly successful.

Overall, we got beat by a better team with more athletes and better players.

UCLA has a ton of talent and they were unconscious shooting last night. Our Defense, while it broke down at times, was not bad. Alford was just deadly and the team overall hit 15 3 pt shots.

A big concern is still our inability to score at the rim. We must have missed a dozen shots within 3 ft. We outrebounded the Bruins by 6 I believe.

I was encouraged by the play of Brown, Peters and Dom. Along with White, they were some of the more active and aggressive players on the court. White and Dom started to drive aggressively to the hoop and were fairly successful.

Overall, we got beat by a better team with more athletes and better players.
Only thing that I would argue is Dom. He has never really impressed me. Just looking at UCLA, our entire team looked soft to me. I honestly think we need a better strength trainer for MBB.

CU was out-talented for the first time this season. UCLA is an unbelievable offensive team- although I suspect they'll be out of the tournament before the sweet 16 or elite 8, since they don't play defense. A physical team that throws their weight around and gets UCLA off balance will have a good chance of a tourney upset.

As for the fouls, it was a direct result of UCLA playing (and obviously succeeding) at a perimeter-oriented style. Many possessions, UCLA never brought the ball inside the 3-point line. CU made an effort to get to the hole more than I've seen them do all season. Hence, lots of fouls on UCLA's interior bigs, who all looked stiff on the defensive end. Unfortunately, I think a lot of CU's success last night (pretty good shooting, limited turnovers, getting to the line) had to do with playing a sub-par defensive team who didn't really need to expend energy on that side of the court when they could score at will on the other end.
So it sounds like drawing UCLA fouls was an effective strategy. Presumably Tad's initiative, suggesting some good game time coaching. Fans always complain when their team gets lots of fouls, even if legitimate.

Completely agree about UCLA in the tournament. Their offensive exhibition last night was probably the best of the year, and off-nights happen. Combined with no defense an early exit is possible. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Holy **** is UCLA good this year. Very few teams that can beat them unless they're having an outlier night with being sloppy and shooting cold. But even when that happens they have so much talent & depth with their bigs along with guards that can beat you off the bounce so they can adjust to those problems by attacking the rim if necessary.

So impressed with that roster.

they were really on it last night. Glad I got to see them play. Liked what I saw from our team. But when the other team shoots nearly 70% from 3 despite decent D... can't be that mad if your team doesn't stay hot enough from 3 to keep up. Especially with the way the refs were not controlling the game. I was heated about them not getting a call against the white breakaway when they obviously contacted him and sent him flying... especially after a really soft couple of fouls on 3 pointers.

UCLA knows who they are. They play their core 6 all the time. The other 2 bigs fill in if foul trouble.
With TV timeouts there is no need to go any deeper.
No lulls on the offensive end as someone will be on to knock down open shots.
Their offense spreads defense out and allows penetration for layups or kick out 3s.
They screen well because the goal is to get teammate open.

Can someone tell me when the last time CU lost a game and scored 89 points...or let's say over 85 points? Have they ever scored over 85 points and lost by double digits? The Buffs played well. UCLA was just a better team. If UCLA stays healthy, they really could be a final four team.

Just watched the replay. UCLA might win it all. They good and that might be an understatement.

They won't. They play to the level of their competition. I think that's obvious by now.

Yeah, but hopefully playing up to a UCLA helps them realize what they have to do. They have the ability to play well.

I didn't watch the game bc stupid East Coast time and work, but from reading these posts, I'm actually encouraged. I was actually a lil pessimistic going into the season, while a lot of the board was very optimistic. Now, I understand everyone's pessimism, but I'm starting to get optimistic. Hopefully I can attend some games when I get back into town. This team has the damn talent...and it sounds/reads like it's slowly starting to come together in pieces. LET'S GO BUFFS!

Yeah, but hopefully playing up to a UCLA helps them realize what they have to do. They have the ability to play well.

I didn't watch the game bc stupid East Coast time and work, but from reading these posts, I'm actually encouraged. I was actually a lil pessimistic going into the season, while a lot of the board was very optimistic. Now, I understand everyone's pessimism, but I'm starting to get optimistic. Hopefully I can attend some games when I get back into town. This team has the damn talent...and it sounds/reads like it's slowly starting to come together in pieces. LET'S GO BUFFS!

I'll be very happy to say I was wrong if they turn it around, and it is the middle of January so still some time. From the coaches on down it just doesn't seem like this group is on the same page. It is still my opinion they have the talent to play with just about anyone in the nation, and make a run in the Dance. Its hard to watch them miss open shot after open shot, and just seemingly give up on defense as much as they have this season. They are better than this, I hope they eventually realize that.

I'll be very happy to say I was wrong if they turn it around, and it is the middle of January so still some time. From the coaches on down it just doesn't seem like this group is on the same page. It is still my opinion they have the talent to play with just about anyone in the nation, and make a run in the Dance. Its hard to watch them miss open shot after open shot, and just seemingly give up on defense as much as they have this season. They are better than this, I hope they eventually realize that.
This is just too much deja vu from 2014. Josh Scott, XJ, Booker - all projected as potential NBA material - looked like a special season was in order. Even Tad wasn't able to hide his excitement. The team never synched, but all season we kept hoping they'd finally get it together and play like we knew they could based on talent - first the conference, then the P12 tourney, finally the CBI. It never happened, understanding injuries etc were involved.

Not saying this is a duplicate, seems things may be coming together and some Ws once we face some lower-tier teams, but I'm being pretty cautious about raising my expectations. Will be watching for improvement that translates into wins before renewing excitement.

Back