What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Game Week -- Official Thread (8:30 on ESPN2)

Right, so why the **** can't MM just say that maybe he won't make that same call again next time? I don't think it harms his reputation to admit that in a small, measured way. But doing like he did, it makes him look worse. I still like MM, but don't understand his logic in those media situations.
Why announce to opponents that they won't have to worry about you ever running a trick play on special teams?

Honestly, the fake fg is probably the most frustrated I've been with MM and a decision he has directly made in game. As I look back, he actually does a pretty good job with in game decisions, IMO.
One thing about the call is that he did it against UCLA, not Washington. It makes much more sense to try that against one of the most undisciplined teams in the Pac-12. Their guy made a hell of a play and showed crazy athleticism to get out there to defend it.

Anyway, the game was lost because drives weren't finished. Pretty much every time you end a drive with a FG, all it means is that you got a little bit closer to losing the game.

One thing about the call is that he did it against UCLA, not Washington. It makes much more sense to try that against one of the most undisciplined teams in the Pac-12. Their guy made a hell of a play and showed crazy athleticism to get out there to defend it.

Anyway, the game was lost because drives weren't finished. Pretty much every time you end a drive with a FG, all it means is that you got a little bit closer to losing the game.
Yup, no problem with him being aggressive, mostly pissed off our fake field goal idea was to get the ball to the player the entire defense is looking at. You have a QB as the holder throw it to one of the wings/tight ends that slip out past the defense.

I personally didn't like the field goal call at all but that was far from what lost us the game. My reaction to his conviction with the call was that they saw something in film because it seemed they were planning on using that specific play in that game.

Honestly, the fake fg is probably the most frustrated I've been with MM and a decision he has directly made in game. As I look back, he actually does a pretty good job with in game decisions, IMO.
I think he's pretty average in those situations. There have been a couple head-scratchers over the years.

I personally didn't like the field goal call at all but that was far from what lost us the game. My reaction to his conviction with the call was that they saw something in film because it seemed they were planning on using that specific play in that game.
Yeah and the execution was terrible too. The kicker immediately ran to his left when the ball was snapped, I would be willing to guess he was supposed to wait a little to get the defender to shoot for the block and then bail out at the last second with an open field in front of him. If you are rushing off the edge and the kicker bails before you even cross the line of scrimmage you are obviously going to stop.

I think he's pretty average in those situations. There have been a couple head-scratchers over the years.
Over the years, MM has been very textbook like how the good NFL coaches do it when they're overmatched. Just keep extending the game and staying within distance where a momentum play could allow you to steal one. Reminded me of a college basketball coach with an inferior team playing a style that puts game scores in the 50s and gives a chance in the final 4 minutes. The window for a victory is very small, but at least a window exists. I'm hopeful that the program is growing beyond that.

The worst is when he gets the offense to hurry up to the line on 4th and short so the defense can't sub and then he ends up calling a timeout right before the play if ran.

If it was executed better and had given CU the lead, everybody would be praising the call. But, that's the way it goes with all trickeration plays.

Why announce to opponents that they won't have to worry about you ever running a trick play on special teams?
Maybe that type of announcement would better hide the fact that we actually would do it again 100 times in the same scenario.

Honest question about video above: why did Brian Howell push MM to question himself on whether he would pull that fake FG again in the same scenario?
Just seems like Brian is starting to become one of MM's least faves. I was surprised no one asked Brian that question during weekly chat on buff zone.

On a quick fashion detour, MM really needs a Sports Coat Consultant.

Disagree with that statement, it is alway better to get a TD but getting points of any kind is important. Getting into the redzone 5 times and come away with 9 points is what loses a game - come away with even 15 and you win the game. Driving the field and letting the other team feel they stopped you can shift momentum.

Disagree with that statement, it is alway better to get a TD but getting points of any kind is important. Getting into the redzone 5 times and come away with 9 points is what loses a game - come away with even 15 and you win the game. Driving the field and letting the other team feel they stopped you can shift momentum.
It take 3 FG drives to beat 1 TD drive. You only get so many opportunities in a game. When you don't finish drives, you got closer to losing. Except for those rare cases like the end of a half when finishing the drive means getting 3 points out of it, a FG is a missed opportunity and how games are lost.

Maybe that type of announcement would better hide the fact that we actually would do it again 100 times in the same scenario.
I think MM should announce every other day that he will, then wont, then will, then won’t...or he could just do it, or not, depending on whether he thinks it fits the immediate need.

Back