What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

University of New Mexico cutting sports

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
We've seen this at CU in the past and it sucks.

What I'm wondering, in consideration of how little money the MWC brings in and the Title IX pressures football puts on an AD... might UNM with its elite basketball support and facilities be better off dropping football or at least dropping down to FCS level?

Been monitoring this on the MWCBoard...it seems like UNM's skiing program could be a casualty as well.

Men's soccer is not sponsored by the MWC and an easy cut but I hope that doesn't happen. I also wonder how much longer Bob Davie will coach at UNM as well. His former OC is now the OC at Georgia Southern whose fanbase is crazier about the option than those Cornheads if I'm not mistaken.

UNM has the highest number of sports offered in the MWC...something has got to give.

If UNM was to do the unthinkable and cut football, it's no guarantee that the MWC will give the Lobos the boot and NMSU or BYU could step in to replace the Lobos. The MWC's pursuit of Gonzaga is a telling sign that the MWC is focusing more on the hardwood than the football field. This could be good for the Pac-12.

The cuts in the athletic department has been approved. Now the AD has between now to July 1st to decide which sports get axed.

Skiing is done. They'd tried to cut it before and some people stepped up to save it. But it wasn't endowed, just given enough to last another year iirc.

Also, there will come a point where Skiing will only be a club sport at CU. It's going to die at the collegiate level. Too expensive.

I have never been able to figure out why UNM can't get their act together in football. They have a big enough population base there with little to no competition for sports dollars that a quality team should be able to produce turnout and revenues. HS football draws well down there so it isn't an anti-football sentiment, they just haven't captured the imagination of the fans and held it. In the years when they have won attendance goes up notably but they are never able to hold on to it.

Trying to be a big-time football program in the MWC is a losing proposition because the league media money is simply not enough to make it work. What they have though is the potential because of their location and lack of competition to be a target for expansion into a P5 conference but they have to earn it by filling the stadium and being a winner.

I have never been able to figure out why UNM can't get their act together in football. They have a big enough population base there with little to no competition for sports dollars that a quality team should be able to produce turnout and revenues. HS football draws well down there so it isn't an anti-football sentiment, they just haven't captured the imagination of the fans and held it. In the years when they have won attendance goes up notably but they are never able to hold on to it.

Trying to be a big-time football program in the MWC is a losing proposition because the league media money is simply not enough to make it work. What they have though is the potential because of their location and lack of competition to be a target for expansion into a P5 conference but they have to earn it by filling the stadium and being a winner.
Because ABQ is a crime riddled/ corrupt city. Everyone I grew up with down there has left, or is actively trying to. As a kid, it’s almost third world in how you have to watch out for yourself. New Mexico has so much culture and beauty, but the crime is just insane and the lack of attention from a corrupt establishment is so frustrating!

Just spent a little bit of time in Albuquerque. After hearing what a dump it was I ended up being pleasantly surprised by it. It's got a decent, vibrant downtown, killer food, nice size(not too big or too small). Reminded me a lot to Tucson. Both places that are a heck of a lot nicer than that sh**hole Phoenix. Thought that it would make a fun and easy road trip if they ever got there act together in football and the Pac came calling. Cutting sports to get the AD on the right finical track so they can build up their AD is the right thing to do for the long term. If they could get their football program rolling they could be the Boise of the southwest. Sandwiched between TX and AZ, not far from Southern Cal, seems like it wouldn't be the hardest job in the world with the right coach. Wishing them the best.

Because ABQ is a crime riddled/ corrupt city. Everyone I grew up with down there has left, or is actively trying to. As a kid, it’s almost third world in how you have to watch out for yourself. New Mexico has so much culture and beauty, but the crime is just insane and the lack of attention from a corrupt establishment is so frustrating!
That sucks to hear. Enjoyed my brief time there, hope they get their act together and it changes for the better.

ABQ has some significant problems as you list. It also has some very strong positives.

The problems it has are not unique to it and there are other successful college cities that have similar problems.

What I have seen over the years is an administration that has never truly supported or maintained support for football. They never maintain the momentum they generate when they have success.

Agree that UNM could be a future PAC member but they got to get their house in order. They were mentioned as possible members of a Big 14 before it became the Big 12. I’m intrigued by playing UNM more often and would love to play them in football.

My father was working with people in ABQ and staying at a hotel near the airport. I recall people saying to be careful in that part of town.

I had someone try to carjack me in a Burger King drive through in ABQ. True story.
When some friends and I went down to ABQ for CU’s tourney run years ago, we were outside a bar when a taxi came screeching to a halt. Three younger guys came pouring out screaming that the cab driver had locked the doors and wouldn’t stop or respond to their requests to let them out. Apparently, one of the kids started hitting him and another tried putting him in a headlock from the back seat, and that’s when he finally pulled over and let them out.

It's actually super easy to understand why New Mexico is not good at football.

Defends on what your definition of good is......Can they be a program that contends for bowl bids yearly? Sure. Do they have a shot to win the auto bid to the NY6 for the Group of 5? Ummmmm........No idea.

Last edited:
Defends on what your definition of good is......Can they be a program that contends for bowl bids yearly? Sure. Do they have a shot to make the playoff? Ummmmm........No idea.
You have no idea if New Mexico has a shot to make the playoff? Dude, Utah is a far superior program in every way, shape or form, and they've never even won the Pac 12 South since joining the P5.

Back