What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC is hiring Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma as its new HC

anywhere decent to live to USC will take 60-90 min depending on accidents
Palos Verdes is an hour drive without accidents

San Marino is 30 minutes from USC. Manhattan Beach 30 minutes. Commute time is a myth for a coach that has to be at the facility all of the time anyway. Maybe his assistants will need to be a bit further out, but they will get great money too and will be able to find a decent place.

Out of curiosity, why do you think this?
Football-wise, the quality of O-linemen and especially D-Linemen in the SEC will usually be better than the guys that Riley will be able to get. Also, Saban and Kirby aren't going away, at least real soon. Culture-wise, it's still the Pac 12 and it's still California. Things just aren't taken as seriously week to week out there as they are in the south and to some extent in the Great Lakes. Not saying that USC won't get into the 4-team playoff at some point, but USC won't be an annual threat to do so and they'll lose when they do. JMHO, again based on Oregon's recent history.

He also thought that all buffers massively overrate the USC job, its attractiveness, and their ability to make a splash hire as recent as a week ago.

I think the answer to you question is probably that he doesn't like SC or is an SEC homer, or something similar.
Yup. I'm still Shocked that they were able to hire Riley. Seriously. But Riley will be able to get home a few hours earlier every night and live a less stressed existence
In L.A. than he did in Norman. The expectations from the high $$ boosters will be there, but not from the "fan base" in general. They are front runners and will just
quit going to games if they don't like the product. Trying to revive USC is not unlike trying to revive Texas, and you can see how hard that is.

And to anyone who might say "Why don't you expect USC to become better than the best Oregon teams?", I'd say "Why would you expect USC to become better than the best recent Oklahoma teams?"

Trying to revive USC is not unlike trying to revive Texas, and you can see how hard that is.

While there are certainly some similarities between the two and advantages/disadvantages to both - the USC alumni group and its admin are more homogeneous, more on the same page, and don't have to deal with the dumb everyday fan because they are less engaged (you wont have "yellow rose of texas" type issues).

Also taking Riley from OU is a little more of a big boy move than hiring:
- Strong
- Herman
- Sark

It is almost as if Texas is suffering from not taking big enough shots to pacify all corners of the alumni base.

And to anyone who might say "Why don't you expect USC to become better than the best Oregon teams?", I'd say "Why would you expect USC to become better than the best recent Oklahoma teams?"

Multiple conference championships and Heisman winners? What's wrong with that? When USC has a competent coach, they're a powerhouse. It's not going to take them long to be back on the national stage now that they have an outstanding coach.

1.) I think getting to OU levels of consistently good probably buys Riley 6 years in LA

2.) Recuriting to USC will be easier and is in a more fertile grounds with less competition than he had at OU

3.) USC is a bigger brand than OU and is more connected in places that recruits care about than OU was

4.) NIL

At the end of the day, he's the same coach/game planner but the peripheral advantages will help him.

If money is the same, it's easy for some of us. My daughter lives in midtown LA and commutes 4 miles to work every day. Time? 35-45 minutes each way. I did my sentence out there and left as soon as I could.

I could run that far in that amount of time.

Yup. I'm still Shocked that they were able to hire Riley. Seriously. But Riley will be able to get home a few hours earlier every night and live a less stressed existence
In L.A. than he did in Norman. The expectations from the high $$ boosters will be there, but not from the "fan base" in general. They are front runners and will just
quit going to games if they don't like the product. Trying to revive USC is not unlike trying to revive Texas, and you can see how hard that is.
He and his wife (and kids when they want to bring them) will be able to go to nice restaurant and just be another customer. To do that now, they'd have to go to Dallas, and there's still a good chance they get "recognized."

Football-wise, the quality of O-linemen and especially D-Linemen in the SEC will usually be better than the guys that Riley will be able to get. Also, Saban and Kirby aren't going away, at least real soon. Culture-wise, it's still the Pac 12 and it's still California. Things just aren't taken as seriously week to week out there as they are in the south and to some extent in the Great Lakes. Not saying that USC won't get into the 4-team playoff at some point, but USC won't be an annual threat to do so and they'll lose when they do. JMHO, again based on Oregon's recent history.

The DL recruiting is true. I said it earlier that I think Riley will need to steal some SEC country DL to get them to the next level.

However, based on everything else you posted, I don’t think you truly understand what USC is and can/will be. They have every bit of potential to be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and/or Georgia. Riley will have them vying for #1 recruiting classes every year and he’s an excellent coach.

To me oklahoma is a team that always chokes the big one. That was the main reason Stoops left, trend continued with Riley, just sayn.

If money is the same, it's easy for some of us. My daughter lives in midtown LA and commutes 4 miles to work every day. Time? 35-45 minutes each way. I did my sentence out there and left as soon as I could.
I still regret leaving LA 15 years later. Biggest mistake of my life was leaving LA.

Back