What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Utah game thread. SNOW GAME!!

Now that we're at the end of the season there are several questions I wouldn't mind having answered. 1) Who's idea was it to red shirt Ento & Lee last year? 2) How involved is MM in the offensive game planning?
The red shirts made no sense when done and further evidenced by this season and if MM had little to nothing to do with the offense that would clarify which assistance(s) failed.

Another he gets a free pass because he's an alum post. Chev is the one calling plays. He can stay if he's willing to go back to coaching WRs.

I gave Chev a break for the most of this season chalking it up to first time play calling but the 2nd and 11 call to run Kyle Evans up the middle made it clear that Chev isn’t the guy. Good recruiter. Good rah rah guy but showed zero ability to adjust his game plans/ play calling when defenses figured it out.

I have no idea how Montez is as a motivator, but when the coaches aren't getting it done, it's nice to have players step up. I wonder how much closer things would have been against wsu and the utes, if we had the leadership (not play) of Sefo and Phillip.

I have no idea how Montez is as a motivator, but when the coaches aren't getting it done, it's nice to have players step up. I wonder how much closer things would have been against wsu and the utes, if we had the leadership (not play) of Sefo and Phillip.
Several times yesterday I saw Montez on the sideline trying to talk up the offense before going on to the field. I don't find any fault with him. It seemed as though he was the only one who still wanted to compete regardless of the score while the other 10 bar maybe McMillan were just going through the motions. On the field Montez didn't just turtle when there wasn't any pass protection he still tried to make something out of nothing. The one play where he escaped the entire ute line (and our O line standing around looking helpless) and still made some yards was nothing short of a miracle. I remember seeing Phil getting in the face of an O lineman who didn't get his block last year, now I only see O lineman picking SM up off the ground.

Several times yesterday I saw Montez on the sideline trying to talk up the offense before going on to the field. I don't find any fault with him. It seemed as though he was the only one who still wanted to compete regardless of the score while the other 10 bar maybe McMillan were just going through the motions. On the field Montez didn't just turtle when there wasn't any pass protection he still tried to make something out of nothing. The one play where he escaped the entire ute line (and our O line standing around looking helpless) and still made some yards was nothing short of a miracle. I remember seeing Phil getting in the face of an O lineman who didn't get his block last year, now I only see O lineman picking SM up off the ground.
It has been said before...the OL is a disaster. I think this is the worst D1 OL I have ever seen. Along with many others, I noted the reliance on projects to build an OL was a fool's errand. Aside from Lynott, and possibly Haigler (although he seems to regress a little each year), CU has not one upperclassman who would be in a two deep on any other P12 OL roster. There is your problem. MikMac kept Bernardi when it was clear he was not getting the job done. Simply promoting Adams probably made the issue worse.

I think Sherman and Filip will be pretty good, but they are thrown into the fire WAY too early by necessity. Moretti and Ray, if they get healthy, could be solid P12 players too. But you have to have depth. OL recruiting, and poor OL coaching are killing this team. They have enough skill players and enough D to do better than P12 whipping boy.

And Montez has plenty of heart. That guy has to know every pass play called he is going to get shellacked. You guys can knock him, but I think that is bull****. ANY QB getting the crap knocked out of them 10-15 times a game because they have no pass pro will regress. It is a minor miracle he hasn't missed a game yet.

To your last statement: I also wonder how getting a new QB coach who actually knows how to coach conflicts with what is being taught to the OL? ie..wsu linemen are taught to pass block first and run blocking is an after thought. Montez has shown some flaws at times sure, at the same time he's had to transition from one teaching to another and on top of that...he never knows one snap to the next whether or not he's going to get the blocking needed which has to play in to a QB's mindset at some point.

More disturbing was seeing Montez's reaction after a called play didn't yield enough yards for a 1st down, comes up a yard short and we punt, he knew it had little chance to succeed. How difficult has it been for him to line up get a play and know it's not going to work because of the line play...and still have to run it? Been a couple of times I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd called a TO or right before the snap shot the bird to the sideline...thanks this is going to hurt.

The original OL and DL recruiting was Mmac downfall. He kept Bernardi and Jeffcoat too long. The DL was saved by jucos the OL was exposed.
Adams did recruit better than Bernardi, but it was too late. And his player development was zero. I hated seeing the musical chairs OL. Figure out what’s you best line up and develop it.
Chev has to take responsibility for exposing the OL too. He called plays as if he had no idea our OL was an issue. He had to know our limitations (understatement) and yet I rarely saw him adjust the play calling. I rarely saw Slants, rollouts, rb screens, quick hitting passes. Other offenses have had success when their OL was being beat by the opponents DL by mixing up the calls to keep the D off balance. Maybe our OL was just too overwhelmed, that looked to be the case many times, but the play calling did nothing to help.

Good posts here RE: Montez. He's a class act with a good deal of upside. His decision, and its tough, will be to declare for the draft and be mid (4th round?) guy, or go the Senior Transfer route somewhere else. This latter choice exists only because the OL will be a mess again next year and not helpful to him in terms of production and/or health. It might actually be beneficial for him to go to a high level FCS team and showcase himself via big stats. Didn't hurt Joe Flacco. In any event best of luck to him. I'm a big Montez fan. He has never thrown this Train Wreck under the bus verbally, while the temptation must have been great at times.

if i never see another wideout screen on an sideline route at the LOS, it will still haunt me.

Just realized Carson Wells was the "fullback" on Travon's TD run. WTF? all those other RBs and BB ? we had to put a LB in to runblock???

Just realized Carson Wells was the "fullback" on Travon's TD run. WTF? all those other RBs and BB ? we had to put a LB in to runblock???
As much as we've struggled in short yardage, I liked seeing it.

Hell, I've been hoping to see Javier and/or Mustafa come in as a lead blocker. When ****'s not working, you've got to try that stuff.

You don't think that the absolute best TE we would have is a healthy Nate Landman. The backyard football/rugby games that family likely played would have been epic. Nate has had the ball in his hands his whole life playing Rugby, and unlike Gamboa or the other LB's, he never drops his Interceptions. We have seriously good top flight PAC12 Players in a few spots, it is too bad they cannot play in more spots?

You don't think that the absolute best TE we would have is a healthy Nate Landman. The backyard football/rugby games that family likely played would have been epic. Nate has had the ball in his hands his whole life playing Rugby, and unlike Gamboa or the other LB's, he never drops his Interceptions. We have seriously good top flight PAC12 Players in a few spots, it is too bad they cannot play in more spots?
Interesting, hadn't thought of that. Not a bad point. But then we'd be back down to zero defensive players who can tackle, I feel like we'll still want one.

Good posts here RE: Montez. He's a class act with a good deal of upside. His decision, and its tough, will be to declare for the draft and be mid (4th round?) guy, or go the Senior Transfer route somewhere else. This latter choice exists only because the OL will be a mess again next year and not helpful to him in terms of production and/or health. It might actually be beneficial for him to go to a high level FCS team and showcase himself via big stats. Didn't hurt Joe Flacco. In any event best of luck to him. I'm a big Montez fan. He has never thrown this Train Wreck under the bus verbally, while the temptation must have been great at times.

I don't know if I'd go as far as "class act" on Montez - he's matured since throwing frat signs and **** early in his CU career, but that still colors my opinion of him. We need a sober ice-in-the-veins mature QB with a good head and good arm like Manny at ASU or even dare I say Adrian Martinez.

Back