What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Utah vs. Colorado

How did those adjustments work out...a season in which we’re probably not even in the nit.

So when we have a mediocre season with an inexperienced team the youth is an excuse. But last years mediocre season with a veteran team is just brushed aside? That’s awfully convenient logic for Tad. You can’t have it both ways.

Regardless, whose fault is it last years team sucked? Whose the head of the program? Who put together the roster? Who hires the staff? Who recruits the players? Who runs practices and games? And this year whose responsible for previous recruiting misses leading to five freshman playing major minutes? Billups? The head coach is still the single most important person when it comes to recuiting and is obviously the one who hired Billups. It all leads back to Tad. He’s the ceo, the general manager, and the coach.

Even if the program does improve in the future, which i think is a big if, what does that look like? The norm even for Tad’s best seasons can be described as finishing in the middle of a weak conference, being a bubble team, and losing in the first round. I’ll get my popcorn ready! And again even that’s only if there’s improvement. In 2016 alone our laughing stock of a football program spent more weeks ranked then our basketball team has been ranked during the entire eight years under Boyle. Roll Tad!

oh good, you're back.

oh good, you're back.

Pay attention people the above post is an example of a top notch strategy...when you see something you don’t like but you lack the facts or logic to actually disprove it you can instead just deflect with a snarky response unrelated to the topic at hand and ultimately try and salvage a victory by targeting the source as opposed to the actual content.

Pay attention people the above post is an example of a top notch strategy...when you see something you don’t like but you lack the facts or logic to actually disprove it you can instead just deflect with a snarky response unrelated to the topic at hand and ultimately try and salvage a victory by targeting the source as opposed to the actual content.

You basically implied just making the NCAA tourney Boyle is unacceptable. That is bat**** crazy, by any reasonable measure.

Oh gosh, I was just observing that 'the source' only shows up at conveniently selected times to share his wisdom.

You basically implied just making the NCAA tourney Boyle is unacceptable. That is bat**** crazy, by any reasonable measure.

What’s really bat**** crazy is the endless stream of people who come on here and make ridiculous statements like...Tad Boyle can be the coach here for as long as he wants to be. People’s perception of him is completely disproportionate to the actual accomplishments. His tenure can basically be summed up as he took over a sucky program and has made it a mediocre program. In eight years we have one NCAA tournament win (six years ago), have never finished better then the middle of the standings of a weak conference, and we’re a .500 team in conference play. And during his tenure we’re #81 in the country in terms of most weeks being ranked. Just for perspective, including the big east, there are 75 power conference teams. Let that sink in Boyle lovers.

And I’m not trying to imply that making the tournament is unacceptable, I’d be thrilled if we were in the tournament this year. But the reality is we haven’t been in the tournament three of the past four seasons and even the seasons we have made it (the supposed “glory years”) really haven’t been that great. This is probably the point were someone explains to me that we’re not Duke or Kansas and I get that but still it’s hardly unrealistic to expect better than what we’ve gotten. You can cite the number of weeks ranked statistic from earlier as a prime example of that. At the very least I wish people would be more honest about Boyle’s tenure here and stop treating him like a Demi-God that we’re just lucky to have regardless of the results.

You seem to think CU being consistently mediocre in basketball (with some above average seasons) is somehow cringe-worthy. Not sure why, but you can probably explain it to me.

People give Boyle a pass because he has done a good job. Football still drives the bus.

You seem to think CU being consistently mediocre in basketball (with some above average seasons) is somehow cringe-worthy. Not sure why, but you can probably explain it to me.

You’re really not sure why? Why would any sports fan of any team be happy with mediocrity? At least you’re able to accurately characterize Boyle’s tenure. Most people on here are incapable of doing so.

You’re really not sure why? Why would any sports fan of any team be happy with mediocrity? At least you’re able to accurately characterize Boyle’s tenure. Most people on here are incapable of doing so.
I think last year was his first really disappointing year and he still finished 7th in what was an absolutely loaded conference in terms of talent. I think some people overrate his recent changes to the coaching staff though. Grier was an awesome hire and so was English but the English move was sort of forced on him because of a coach moving on so it's not like he really saw that a change was necessary. The simple fact is Colorado won't be able to compete with Arizona, UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal on the recruiting trail so how high of expectations can you really place on him? Even battling against Utah and ASU could be tough at certain points. So yes, people were excited that a team that started 4 freshman played fairly well this season especially when given the injures and NCAA decisions that hurt the team. If he doesn't make the tournament next year there will be plenty of blame to go around but I don't really see that being an issue since this team should be pretty damn good if nothing catastrophic happens.

I think it is fair to be frustrated with the mediocrity. I just don’t understand competing in something and saying you are satisfied with mediocre performance. I know we are not a basketball school, but I expect more. I don’t see why we can’t expect to be a tournament team in most years.

I look at it over the long term. Is Tad's overall program (measured in wins) better than our long and sub-marginal history? Yes. Is this the pinnacle? Goodness, I hope not. Did we have our best recruiting class ever this year? Probably so. Did the we do OK this year considering we consistently started 4 freshmen most of the year? Yup. Should the next couple of years be a step forward given the experience gained this year? Yup. And has this progress been achieved within the bounds of propriety and with character and accountability? Yup again. Am I dazzled? No. Am I pleased with the progress? You bet.

Last edited:

I understand your point in some of your critiques of Boyle, but I don't think you're looking at the complete picture. The dip in quality we've experience the last couple years is not directly his fault in every respect.

2013-2014 we had a great shot at being a Sweet-16 or Elite-8 team. As others have pointed out, CU isn't a basketball school and can't pull in (or pay, looking at you Arizona) elite prospects. We have to find and develop players.

That 2013-14 team should have had Roberson and Dinwiddie in the starting lineup. Have that and you'll make a deep tournament run which will directly improve recruiting.

Instead, we lost Roberson to the NBA and Dinwiddie to injury. A team with a delicate situation in depth was decimated. Hell, the next year we lost Josh Scott most of the year to injury.

I think because of those unforeseen issues that destroyed the momentum of our program, you need to give Boyle a break. The key going forward is to keep our young and talented freshmen we've brought in all here and playing together. I think if we can do that, you'll be pleased in two years when we win 28 games.

I understand your point in some of your critiques of Boyle, but I don't think you're looking at the complete picture. The dip in quality we've experience the last couple years is not directly his fault in every respect.

2013-2014 we had a great shot at being a Sweet-16 or Elite-8 team. As others have pointed out, CU isn't a basketball school and can't pull in (or pay, looking at you Arizona) elite prospects. We have to find and develop players.

That 2013-14 team should have had Roberson and Dinwiddie in the starting lineup. Have that and you'll make a deep tournament run which will directly improve recruiting.

Instead, we lost Roberson to the NBA and Dinwiddie to injury. A team with a delicate situation in depth was decimated. Hell, the next year we lost Josh Scott most of the year to injury.

I think because of those unforeseen issues that destroyed the momentum of our program, you need to give Boyle a break. The key going forward is to keep our young and talented freshmen we've brought in all here and playing together. I think if we can do that, you'll be pleased in two years when we win 28 games.
I’m a little skeptical that having an outstanding season would be pleasing to certain AB posters...

I know that a few more knowledgeable posters will say that it's expected after a class like this year's freshmen...but our current recruiting class for next year is garbage.

My major criticism of Tad is the reliance on under-recruited combo guards, of which make up 100% of this class. If Battey is healthy and we make up for it with a stellar class the next year, I'll feel a bit better.

You never know when it comes to recruiting.
3 years ago no one knew about Derrick White
last year was McKinley Wright.
Even before that George King.
All turned out pretty good, but once again no one trumpeted their arrival on campus

Lets let Kountz and Paquet get on campus and on the floor before burying them.
But it is true they need a PG because MW cant play 40 minutes a game.

To say you must have a history as a basketball school to succeed is fubar. There are plenty of schools that have zero to no basketball history today and have ascended to and hover at or near the top 25. I can list them if you desire. So saying that if you have no basketball history means you cannot compete and recruit with the top 30 teams is ludicrous. Three years ago Tad was a bit hot and his salary was in the top 4 or 5 in the conference. His salary today is now in the bottom 4 or 5 and my perspective has changed a bit as it relates to my criticisms. He has perhaps the best Frosh point guard in the country and a bevy of players coming back that can all contribute. Next year appears to be a year where he can realistically compete for a Pac 12 title. I think there is a reason why his extensions have not included raises of note as it appears as if RG realizes the program is not where he wants it and Boyle has not earned being paid in the upper half. I expect next years team to change that paradigm and he will be rewarded in his next extension with a raise.

He has perhaps the best Frosh point guard in the country and a bevy of players coming back that can all contribute. Next year appears to be a year where he can realistically compete for a Pac 12 title.

Agree we can compete next year for the Pac 12 title with all the players coming back. But... best FROSH point guard in the country? Trae Young and Collin Sexton

You never know when it comes to recruiting.
3 years ago no one knew about Derrick White
last year was McKinley Wright.
Even before that George King.
All turned out pretty good, but once again no one trumpeted their arrival on campus

Lets let Kountz and Paquet get on campus and on the floor before burying them.
But it is true they need a PG because MW cant play 40 minutes a game.
Roberson, Dinwiddie and Burks were all solid but unspectacular recruits too. We're running on a decade of really solid outcomes for middle of the pack recruits to Colorado, with some NBA credibility to back it up.

I'm in the Boyle is the best CU coach ever camp, but also not in the he should coach here for life if he wants.

The buck stops with him and the lack of value to CU hoops that Hopkins, Fletcher, and Thomas provided warrants criticism. The 2015 recruiting class (Akyazili and Guzonic) warrants criticism. The so-so at best results for the past 3 years warrant criticism.

That said, this year represents a step in the right direction, there are a cadre of valuable but inconsistent performers with potential to improve in Siewert, Walton, Nikolic, Schwartz, N. Wright and Brown. Bey and Wright both look to be very good.

I think that much the same could have been said about the young guys at the end of 2014 with Miller-Stewart and Collier coming in as the next recruiting class. King, Fletcher, Hopkins, Thomas and Gordon all showed promise playing as freshman and the sophmore class of XJ, Talton and Scott; with a little love for Stalzer as a potential solid handle at backup PG looked very promising too. Obviously that squad got more production from older players and less minutes from the young guys.

The next three seasons were underwhelming; 16-18 with a CBI trip, then 22-12 with a first round NCAA loss, then 19-15 with an NIT first round loss. There's reason to question the direction of the program based on the last 4 seasons of results.

This group of players needs to, at a minimum, be on the NCAA bubble next season or we should be thinking about a post-Tad program.

Anyone who thinks that recruiting hasn't been the biggest problem with the results over the past few years, just needs to look at that starters from the last two days. Everyone except King has been recruited over by the last class. We need to keep up this recruiting moment (and yes I am worried about the class from this year). I really hope we can find a SG grad transfer who can light it up from deep. I'm not sure that a starting five of Kin, Namon, Schwartz, Bey, and Walton is top four pac level.

Besides those who went to or live in Colorado, what is the allure of Colorado and makes players want to come here?

Facilities - there are better elsewhere
Conference - Pac-12 is a plus
Television - minus as not many have the Pac-12 Network and games are late on east coast
Local talent pool - not very good as compared to Washington, California, Texas, and District of Columbia
Fanbase/Attendance - not as rabid (fill in your particular reason here)
Coaching and staff - dont cut corners (Arizona)
Former players in NBA (recent) - Roberson, Dinwiddie, Burks, White
Conference Tournament in Las Vegas at T-Mobile Arena
Educational opportunities
Available Playing Time

Something has to attract the high profile talent, do the Buffs have enough positive boxes checked?

Besides those who went to or live in Colorado, what is the allure of Colorado and makes players want to come here?

Facilities - there are better elsewhere
Conference - Pac-12 is a plus
Television - minus as not many have the Pac-12 Network and games are late on east coast
Local talent pool - not very good as compared to Washington, California, Texas, and District of Columbia
Fanbase/Attendance - not as rabid (fill in your particular reason here)
Coaching and staff - dont cut corners (Arizona)
Former players in NBA (recent) - Roberson, Dinwiddie, Burks, White
Conference Tournament in Las Vegas at T-Mobile Arena
Educational opportunities
Available Playing Time

Something has to attract the high profile talent, do the Buffs have enough positive boxes checked?

Is the Pac-12 a plus? Seems like every few years, we're in a down cycle, with 1-3 teams getting into the dance. (Not that we pull many guys deciding between us and other power conferences.)

Without 3-4 years of sustained success (getting to the tourney and winning a game at least), we're not going to attract "high-profile" recruits. It's about finding talent that other coaches didn't identify, and coaching them up and putting them in a system to thrive. Steph Curry went to Davidson. Klay Thompson went to WSU. James Harden went to ASU when they sucked. Damien Lillard went to Weber State.

Back