What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Volleyball- 2018/19 off-season news & awards (Black & Gold scrimmage, Sat. 8/24, 3:00)

Looks like the final pieces of Buff volleyball's non-conference schedule may now be known, as the Univ. of Maryland- Baltimore County (UMBC) has released its schedule (https://www.umbcretrievers.com/sports/wvball/2019-20/schedule), and it has them coming to Boulder to play the Buffs, Oakland Univ. (looks to be in Rochester, MI) and Campbell (Buies Creek, NC) 9/20-21. (Thanks to the link in post #27 for pointing me to the UMBC's schedule.)

Going into Pac 12 play the next week, assume this is a chance for the Buffs to stay at home, give their depth players (many of whom will be YOUNG this season) some playing time, and hopefully collect 3 W's, while for the other teams it looks like, among other things, 2 of them have players from Colorado. (Looking at RPI/ Massey, these 3 teams were 286/276 (UMBC), 217/200 (Oakland) and 241/263 (Campbell) last season.)

Last edited:
What an awesome opportunity for the team, and great that the newbies (at least some of whom will need to play a big role this season) will be there to start integrating with the rest of the team on and off the court!!!

"
By: Shaun Wicen, Assistant SID

BOULDER – The University of Colorado volleyball team will be traveling to Beijing, China, from June 11-20 in conjunction with Pac-12 Global, the conference's international platform, and the Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC).

"This will be a great experience for our team, and not just from a volleyball perspective," said head coach Jesse Mahoney. "The opportunity to learn and experience another culture, to interact with other student-athletes half a world away and share the love of our sport, and to have the extra time to bond with all of our new players will all have a huge positive impact on our program. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity."

The team will take all 19 student-athletes in the program, including nine new to the program this year. The team will have three training sessions and compete in three matches against different universities. In addition, the team will visit several different universities and participate in workshops with the Chinese collegiate athletes and coaches.

CU will also get the opportunity to see the Great Wall of China, Silk Market and Forbidden City in their travels. The team will also hold a youth volleyball clinic.

The team will reconvene in Boulder on June 4 and have six days of practice as well as participate in group research assignments in preparation for their overseas travel.

About Pac-12 Global
Pac-12 Global is an unprecedented effort to promote goodwill and showcase the Pac-12 and its member institutions around the world through student-athlete exchanges and sport. The initiative uses the shared passion of athletics to support the ambitious international strategies that many of our universities have embarked on to extend their reach into China and beyond.
"

(And, Coach Mahoney already working on his Chinese-

)

While they will only play 3 matches, this hopefully will help the players get to know each other and give the new players a heads up on Jesse's style of play and coaching, all while having some fun.

Congrats to Alexa Smith on receiving her 1st pro contract!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/6/4/volleyball-alexa-smith-signs-contract-with-beziers-angels.aspx

"
June 04, 2019

BOULDER – Colorado volleyball alum Alexa Smith has signed her first professional volleyball contract with the Beziers Angels in Bezier, France, Smith announced Monday.

The Angels are the defending French Champions in the Ligue A Feminine Volley, taking the title in a five-set win in 2018. Former Buff Nicole Edelman was a part of the championship squad and plays for the team this season as well. The team also won a title in the Nationale 1B in the inaugural season of 1997 and took the Nationale 1 title in 2010.

Smith, an AVCA All-American, finished her career this season with top-10 marks in school history in kills and attacks and is top-30 in school history in digs and aces. She is also the second Colorado-native and 16th player in school history to hit 1,000 career kills, doing so in just three seasons with Colorado. Smith is listed as a receiver and attacker and will likely be a six-rotation outside for the Angels.
"

Congrats to the MANY track and field student-athletes for earning Pac 12 All-Academic honors.

"
SAN FRANCISCO –
Colorado earned four spots on the 2019 Pac-12 All-Academic First Team, the conference announced Tuesday, along with 20 total student-athletes honored.

The CU women took up three spots in the 21-person first team with Kaitlyn Benner, Valerie Welch and Michaela Wenning all honored. Caleb Penner was the male representative for the Buffs on the firs team alongside Joe Klecker and Paxton Smith being named to the Pac-12 All-Academic Second Team.

Colorado also had 14 individuals on the honorable mention list; Ethan Gonzales, Kendal Smith, Cheyenne Cheshier, Elisa Grandemange, Eriana Henderson, Baylee Jones, Dani Jones, Lindsey Koch, Karina Mann, Makena Morley, Drianna Mustin, Tabor Scholl, Gabby Scott and Maja Wichhart-Donzo.
"

Cool- looks like this evening's match (or tomorrow morning for the team in China) may have a video stream available. ( Although, the link in the tweet is erroring out for me right now; hopefully it will work by match time. Edit - never mind. )

Last edited:
Looks like the match is just about to start.

(Note - if it's the other team on the court right now (some folks are giving pre-game talks, so the match hasn't actually started yet), they look very short.)

I take back that the match is about to start. (Looks like it's going to be a full international relations kind of day, and they're going to be watching a dance (at minimum) 1st.)

Now it looks like the match may be starting soon. (Edit- or maybe not, but at least they've started warming up.)

Coach Mahoney has generally preferred 6 rotation outside hitters, and it looks like it will come in handy today, as they are playing using international rules, which allows much less substituting than NCAA rules do.

(Note - I don't believe the 3 sets part of today's rules are part of the international rules, but assume it's just part of the agreement set up for this particular "friendly" match.)

Now the match has started.

As expected, looks like the veterans (including incoming transfer Leah Clayton) are the starters-

OH - Spann, Clayton (the later will need to sit out this coming season)
MB - Price, Klemmer
Opp - Demure
S - Ewert (After missing playing in any of the spring training period matches, great to see that Brynna Deluzio is in uniform and was participating in pre-match warm'ups.)
L's - Whipple, Neverdowski

Buffs won the 1st set 25-17.

They kept largely the same team in for the whole set, EXCEPT around when they hit 16, Deluzio came in for Ewert as the setter and frosh Alcantara came in for Demure as the opposite, and that lineup finished up the set.

Buffs went younger in set 2, and lost 22-25.

I believe the lineup was roughly -
OH - SCHNEGGENBURGER, Levaggi (???)
MB - Hart, Kuehl (and maybe sometimes Parker?)
RS - Alcantara, (Double sub - Demure)
S - Deluzio (Double sub - Ewert)
L's - DeProsse, Lougeay

Last edited:
Buffs went with a blended more experienced/ a few newer player lineup in set 3, and I believe won something like 25-18.

Line-up was something like -
OH - Spann, Clayton
MB - Price, Hart
Opp - Alcantara (Once or twice SCHNEGGENBURGER on a double sub)
S - Deluzio (Once or twice Ewert on a double sub.)
L's - I didn't catch who they were.

Note- I was watching the NBA Championship game at the same time, so I do NOT vouch for the accuracy of much of what I wrote about this match.

Looks like the team is enjoying their time in China.

Many of the freshmen are tall. I hope they are also excellent volleyball players.

For any night owls out there.

(Don't know if there will be any live video or not. When I clicked on the link provided for the 1st/ last match (http://tv.jsports.cn/live.php?id=20222), there is something there saying "Live broadcast notice" with today's match time listed, but have no idea what that is or how it might work. Hopefully there will be a tweet on the team's twitter account if there is going to be any live video of the match.)

Last edited:
Back