What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Volleyball- 2018/19 off-season news & awards (Black & Gold scrimmage, Sat. 8/24, 3:00)

Re Ms. Deluzio, I'm pretty sure she will be a redshirt junior next season, and I'd guess it was just a misunderstanding between coach and reporter that had the article saying she will be a redshirt sophomore next season (Although it would be great if I'm wrong).

At least from what I can find, the "medical hardship" rules only potentially allow an extra year to be petitioned for if, among other things, the student-athlete played in only 30% "of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.", and they didn't play in the 2nd half of their team's schedule. (I though I'd remembered the 30% part from prior instances it was considered, and found info which seemed to confirm it in page #88 of this year's NCAA D1 manual (https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008).) Unless I'm reading that manual wrong (which is ALWAYS possible when it comes to me and convoluted rule books), I don't think Ms. Deluzio would qualify. The stats for last season (https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/12/12//2018CUOverallStats.pdf?id=12181) show she played in way over half (83 out of 125) of the sets the Buffs played, and Pac 12 stats for the Buffs (https://stats.pac-12.com/sports/wvb...rado?tmpl=teaminfo-network-monospace-template) have her playing in 22 of 32 Buff matches.
And, regarding not playing in the 2nd half of the season, it looks like her last match played (that I could find by scanning individual match stats) was in Boulder against Washington on October 28th, so after the half way point of the season. (The 1st match the Buffs played was on August 24th, and the National Championship (which seems to be defined as the end of the season, even for teams that don't play in it) was December 15th).

In any case, just want to wish her the best in having a full and speedy recovery, and one that doesn't involve unnecessary pain or inconvenience.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, cubuffs.com released its article after today's 1st practice (see below for link). The one notable previously unknown personnel-related item (at least for me) is that it sounds like they've already decided to redshirt one of their four top 100 ranked (by Prepvolleyball) 2019 class freshmen, 6'6" middle blocker Alexia Kuehl.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/8/10/volleyball-buffaloes-open-season-with-first-practice.aspx

Short video containing a brief summary from Coach Mahoney and some action shots from the 1st practice-

Best wishes to the team in improving and staying healthy leading up to the start of the season late this month!

Right but don't you have to wait until you have used up all 5 of your normal years to petition for that sixth year? Or have they changed the rules so she could have already petitioned for the sixth year?
do not know. They have changed so many transfer rules and such it could have been changed

When I saw in the Camera article that De Luzio has 3 years left, it doesn't make sense unless she decides to petition for another year. It's too soon for her to do that.

I don't know the ins and outs of the NCAA rules, but doesn't losing this season, qualify her to do that if that is what she decides later on?

Here's my understanding of how this works (unless NCAA has changed rules in the last year or two): Normally you have 5 years to play 4. With Brynna redshirting this season and having played all of her freshman year and part of her sophomore year she will have played for 2 years and used up 3 of the 5 years going in to the start of next season. That leaves her with 2 more years to play. The only way she could get a sixth year is if she loses 2 seasons to injury. Then she could petition for a sixth season of eligibility. But I'm pretty sure she played too much last year for it to qualify as a season lost to injury.

With half the roster being new (transfer and freshmen) and last seasons top players having graduated, I don't see how anyone could have voted the Buffs any higher. Hopefully the team is up to the challenge and the newcomers get up to speed quickly. We shall get a good idea of where they are at in the first 2 weeks of the season.

Wanted to point any interested fans who want to get a preview of the Pac 12 volleyball season and teams can go to the 1st couple posts of the Volleytalk thread - http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/77948/pac-12-2019-thread . (Based on prior years, I'd assume it will probably the best Pac vball preview that will be available anywhere.)

Post one starts with the poster Candlelight (a very knowledgeable overall volleyball person, even if he/ she is a Duck fan) re-posting the pre-season poll already shown in post 95 above, as well as the coaches' pre-season all-conference team (no Buffs listed). Then, Candlelight lists his/ her Pac 12 "tier" of teams. Then, post #2 gives pretty detailed summaries of all 12 teams. (Being a very non-expert fan, I did not know (assuming Candlelight is accurate) that the Buffs have a "high-risk blocking scheme ".?.)

Buffs receiving votes in the top 25 poll. Don't know how. I think the buffs are going to struggle this year and next year will be better.

Most of the Pac-12 is above us. Jesse's teams seem to keep improving as the season goes along. Hope that is true this year.

The article on cubuffs.com says that the B1G/Pac-12 Challenge is being held in Ames, Iowa. It's being held in Iowa City, Iowa.

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team will take to the court for the first time this season for the annual Black and Gold intra-squad scrimmage this Saturday at 3 p.m.

The Buffaloes will play four sets against one another, mixing up lineups throughout the competition in preparation for the season opener against Wyoming.

The event is free to the public and doors will open at 2:30 p.m. After the scrimmage there will be a quick meet and greet with the team on the court, open to the public.
"

Back