What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wal-Mart fan ratio

I think a big factor is proximity to pro sports. If you look at the first list, only Northwestern competes directly and lies in the same market as pro football teams. I know a bunch of CU fans who also are big Bronco fans, but I know a ton of Bronco fans who couldn't name a single player or coach on the Buffs. I remember when Spencer Dinwiddie first played the Nuggets in Denver, about 50 people cheered like crazy when he came into the game, and the other 17,000 had no idea who he was.

When you're the only game in town, you tend to get all the attention.

Hokie, I'm pretty stunned by VT because the Walmart VT fan is all around since Vick. A fairly common breed in Virginia that's VT football in the fall and UNC basketball in March.

And I'll also add it's not a bad thing (except the UNC part). Non alum fans are crucial.

No, Wal-Mart fans aren't bad, but in most cases, these are the fair-weather fans. there are exceptions like sacky's dad and 6236, but these fans usually don't have anything more vested in the school's success than a t-shirt and a single game ticket.

I was a little suprised by VT, but the truth is that UVA gets almost all of the Commonwealth's non-college-grad fans from Roanoke eastward, and west of Pulaski they're mostly Tennessee fans. It's going to get worse for VT when ODU moves up to FBS. The attendance bump we got from the MV I era has long passed and Lane Stadium no longer can be counted on to sell-out.

and screw those "VT for football, UNC for hoops" fans. they make me sick. I don't remember which, but VT had a football player a few years ago tweet that he was rooting for the Tarheels during a UNC @ VT hoops game -- I thought Beamer should've pulled his scholarship for that.

My Dad falls into that category. He moved here in 1969 with no connection at all to the school. He soon bought season tickets because he enjoyed college football. He's now owned season tickets for 40+ years and he never went to school here.

I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of people who move to Boulder these days. Back then, they were IBM types from the East Coast who might have had a connection to college football. They were more likely to adopt CU as their new team, and raise their kids as CU fans.

Now, people move here from California and think college football is a violent game that needs to be banned. Times have changed.
Like the bear?

No, Wal-Mart fans aren't bad, but in most cases, these are the fair-weather fans. there are exceptions like sacky's dad and 6236, but these fans usually don't have anything more vested in the school's success than a t-shirt and a single game ticket.

I was a little suprised by VT, but the truth is that UVA gets almost all of the Commonwealth's non-college-grad fans from Roanoke eastward, and west of Pulaski they're mostly Tennessee fans. It's going to get worse for VT when ODU moves up to FBS. The attendance bump we got from the MV I era has long passed and Lane Stadium no longer can be counted on to sell-out.

and screw those "VT for football, UNC for hoops" fans. they make me sick. I don't remember which, but VT had a football player a few years ago tweet that he was rooting for the Tarheels during a UNC @ VT hoops game -- I thought Beamer should've pulled his scholarship for that.

Been a while since you've lived in VA? UVA has their support in Roanoke, but it's now a Hokie city. It's changed from the 80s and 90s. Richmond may still lean a little more Hoo, but it's very close to 50/50 in my eyes. UNC tends to mix in with UVA and VT in the Tidewater. And NOVA is just transplants from anywhere and everywhere. Even here in the Charlottesville area, you now see VT gear constantly. Never used to be like this. I do agree ODU's move will be interesting. Ballsy of VT to be paying ODU a road visit (although it's obvious why considering the recruiting grounds).

Last edited:
The times have changed. Back in the 60s and 70s people that moved to Colorado adopted CU as their first or second football team. There was a lot of local pride around CU athletics. There are about 100 reasons that has changed over the decades but I don't see CU as part of the "Civic Pride" dynamic anymore. Ultimately this hurts the support base.

I've never met a Northwestern fan besides the one guy I know who went there. That seems like a strange school to be on the t-shirt fan list.

Agreed. I married an alum, and even she isn't a fan.

Typed with thumbs.

You could say I married an alum too, except I married her THEN convinced her to go to CU (Denver, as she went at night after work). No way I wanted to help her get a degree from anywhere else. Plus her Dad (also a long time fan/season ticket holder) had had tickets since '67. And while I had went the military route, my HS QB had played for CU and following his playing days helped me build a bond with CU.

So I am not a CU alum, but I am as rabid of a CU fan as anyone I know.

I've never met a Northwestern fan besides the one guy I know who went there. That seems like a strange school to be on the t-shirt fan list.
They play big time college football in a city of 10 million people. Their campus is nice, the stadium is decent, tailgating is pretty good, and ever since Barnett was there, they haven't completely sucked.

I had season tickets when I lived in Chicago for exactly those reasons, and so do a whole lot of other people. Very few of them are serious northwestern fans, but a lot of them are serious college football fans who've adopted northwestern as their "second" (or third) team for as long as they live in the windy city.

One could say I am a walmart fan. Never actually attended CU (out of state tuition is a bitch), but I started going to boulder for games when I was 5. Dad, aunt, uncle, cousins, All alums. If I had to do it again, I would've taken the loans out to do it. But everyone who knows me thinks buffs right away because 1. I'm in Kansas, how many could there be/why would it be based on success and 2. I have been religious about CU football for so long its just accepted.

I think there are a lot of fans like me who grew up around/grew up watching these teams and for some reason or another never got to go. With teams outside of the perennial national spotlight, I think it's common. I've met so many KU/KSU fans here that haven't even been to lawrence/manhattan while living in kansas their whole lives. Different strokes for different strokes I suppose.

We need more of them. Boulder has a bad reputation throughout the state, some unjustified and some definitely. That extends to CU, unfortunately.

They play big time college football in a city of 10 million people. Their campus is nice, the stadium is decent, tailgating is pretty good, and ever since Barnett was there, they haven't completely sucked.

I had season tickets when I lived in Chicago for exactly those reasons, and so do a whole lot of other people. Very few of them are serious northwestern fans, but a lot of them are serious college football fans who've adopted northwestern as their "second" (or third) team for as long as they live in the windy city.

I just always pictured those people as Notre Dame fans. Northwestern just seems like such a niche school - private, great academics, and generally not great at sports which makes it hard to root for unless you had some sort of direct connection.
And as I write this, one of my best friends grew up in Chicago and adopted NW as his "team", although he is now a full-bred CU fan...due to his rule of three:
- Went to Creighton, so he hates NEB.
- met me so he he began to Cher for CU
- Chris Brown transferred from NW and almost single-handedly destroyed NEB.
Now he wants his kids to go to CU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Dad falls into that category. He moved here in 1969 with no connection at all to the school. He soon bought season tickets because he enjoyed college football. He's now owned season tickets for 40+ years and he never went to school here.

I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of people who move to Boulder these days. Back then, they were IBM types from the East Coast who might have had a connection to college football. They were more likely to adopt CU as their new team, and raise their kids as CU fans.

Now, people move here from California and think college football is a violent game that needs to be banned. Times have changed.

Strange dichotomy in that CA is one of the most fertile breeding grounds for high school recruits, CU demanded to play in CA every year for exposure in football, every team in CA is better than CU right now - yet Californians think football should be banned.

Strange dichotomy in that CA is one of the most fertile breeding grounds for high school recruits, CU demanded to play in CA every year for exposure in football, every team in CA is better than CU right now - yet Californians think football should be banned.

What are you talking about? Football is a huge part of the youth sports culture here in California. Who are these Californians that want football banned? Is this just more of the mindless California stereotyping that doesn't have any basis? As someone who was born and raised in CA, went to CU and is now back here, I can assure you I've never heard anyone seriously talk about banning football. In fact, we're doing a damn good job of supporting the CU program since the move: http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...lorado-athletics-fundraising-soars-west-coast

What are you talking about? Football is a huge part of the youth sports culture here in California. Who are these Californians that want football banned? Is this just more of the mindless California stereotyping that doesn't have any basis? As someone who was born and raised in CA, went to CU and is now back here, I can assure you I've never heard anyone seriously talk about banning football. In fact, we're doing a damn good job of supporting the CU program since the move: http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...lorado-athletics-fundraising-soars-west-coast

Easy turbo. Read the post I quoted. Then reevaluate the sarcasm.

The times have changed. Back in the 60s and 70s people that moved to Colorado adopted CU as their first or second football team. There was a lot of local pride around CU athletics. There are about 100 reasons that has changed over the decades but I don't see CU as part of the "Civic Pride" dynamic anymore. Ultimately this hurts the support base.

B&G, to your point about civic pride, one used to be able to see CU flags proudly displayed throughout front range neighborhoods, Buff & Native bumper stickers on cars, businesses posting signs saying "proud supporter/sponsor of CU" and when Denver was a two newspaper town, CU would often be featured on the front page of both sports sections, and always seeing people wearing CU gear.

I believe that since so many people have moved here from other parts of the country, it has saturated the CU civic pride you & I remember.

Native stickers are stupid.

a_bumper_sticker_for_non_native_invasive_species-r9f1303742f7249e7b3ddc7f3bbbbd75d_v9wht_8byvr_324.jpg
or
nebraska_native_colorado_mountains_sticker_bumper_sticker-r86bc9a1a52044a199346358705d83c10_v9wht_8byvr_324.jpg

Which is it Burrito?

Back