What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

I hold out hope that the importance of this game will bring focus to the team. It seems like our biggest problem has been a lack of focus. Sometimes the pure adrenaline that a game of this magnitude brings can elevate a team's performance.

Ranking of opponents by Sagarin

UW average - 128

• Rutgers - 106
  • Montana - 149
  • Fresno State - 129
Average score: 47 to 12.3

CU average - 138
  • CSU - 64
  • Texas State - 172
  • Northern Colorado - 178
Average score: 31.7 to 9

How much do we really know about UW up to this point? They have played a charmin soft schedule up to this point, too. They also will be on the road in what should be a packed/close to packed Folsom Field for their first real test.

Maybe I am just trying to convince myself of something here, but this might be more evenly matched than my knee jerk reaction.

UW average - 128

• Rutgers - 106
  • Montana - 149
  • Fresno State - 129

CU average - 138
  • CSU - 64
  • Texas State - 172

How much do we really know about UW up to this point? They have played a charmin soft schedule up to this point, too. They also will be on the road in what should be a packed/close to packed Folsom Field for their first real test.

Maybe I am just trying to convince myself of something here, but this might be more evenly matched than my knee jerk reaction.
At least for me, it's the comparative offensive output that's concerning. Difficulty in the schedule is roughly the same, but they produce 15 more points per game. Buffs should've produced more, but they didn't. They also should've given up more, but they didn't. That's why there's all the hand wringing on AB. I'm hoping it's just that the Buffs have played to the level of their opponent and we'll see something different on Saturday. I'm fearful that what we have seen is what we've got.

Washington had a clunker against Rutgers, but they had the other two cupcake games wrapped up by halftime.
We, on the other hand, were only up by 2 TDs going into the half vs TSU. We were also only up by 10 points going into the fourth vs UNC.
Ask yourself, if you saw this from some random P5 team, would you be afraid of them? I wouldn't. I'd be wishing they were on our schedule.

Last edited:
It doesn't help that the early forecast is for a high of 60, PM t-storms, and an 80% chance of precipitation. I don't think I own a silver jacket.

Best outcome is for the storm to slow down - this is the front end of it, I believe.

The high Saturday is supposed to be mid 50's to 60. Ugh. I hate cold. Also, today, the forecast calls for 80% chance of rain in the evening.

Last edited:

UW average - 128

• Rutgers - 106
  • Montana - 149
  • Fresno State - 129

CU average - 138
  • CSU - 64
  • Texas State - 172

UW did have to travel 3000 miles to open their season on the road - Rutgers is no power, but that's not an easy start to a season.

UW did have to travel 3000 miles to open their season on the road - Rutgers is no power, but that's not an easy start to a season.
Meh. In the middle of the season that sort of travel would suck. For the first game, they probably went a day or two early. Had school ever started yet?

I don't want to discount this, because it is a real road game. Did you know they were down 7-3 in the 2nd quarter and their lead at halftime was 10-7 on a Punt Return for a TD in the second quarter? Against the 106th ranked team in the country.

My statement here does not mean I am predicting a victory. I do believe it is fair to say we don't know how UW will respond on a big time stage at night in a road opener to Pac 12 play. We don't know if the Buffs can hang athletically, either. But it's something!

This is a barometer game in my opinion. Where is this program?

It's year 5 for MM. This is his team, his staff, his recruit, his facilities. TV. Night game. Ranked opponent with quality P5/P12/national talent. Got run last time they played. Time to step up.

Was last year an anomaly of is this program built for lasting success?

We will know much more about MM and this program late Saturday night.

It's year 5 for MM. This is his team, his staff, his recruit, his facilities. TV. Night game. Ranked opponent with quality P5/P12/national talent. Got run last time they played. Time to step up.

Should tell us a lot about Lindgren as well. He needs to light a fire under the offense's ass and come out with some passion up front. He is really smart and needs to stop overthinking the playcalling.

worrisome

5. Coverage teams haven't been tested ... yet.
That's something that will almost certainly change this week. So far, CU's Davis Price has kicked off 20 times for the Buffs, and only three have been returned, for a total of 43 yards. Kinney, meanwhile, has seen just two of his punts returned, for a total of 9 yards. But waiting on the other end of Kinney's punts this week will be Washington standout Dante Pettis, who has returned a punt for a score in three straight games this year (and an NCAA record-tying eight times in his career). The Huskies will no doubt test the Buffs in this area.

worrisome

5. Coverage teams haven't been tested ... yet.
That's something that will almost certainly change this week. So far, CU's Davis Price has kicked off 20 times for the Buffs, and only three have been returned, for a total of 43 yards. Kinney, meanwhile, has seen just two of his punts returned, for a total of 9 yards. But waiting on the other end of Kinney's punts this week will be Washington standout Dante Pettis, who has returned a punt for a score in three straight games this year (and an NCAA record-tying eight times in his career). The Huskies will no doubt test the Buffs in this area.
I wouldn't worry about kickoffs, the game is in Boulder so those won't be able to be returned. Kinney has been money though and if he keeps it up he will be pretty highly regarded going into his senior year.

We desperately need another RB to step up. Lindsay was winded this past weekend and asked to come out. Insert Adkins to fumble the ball. Lindsay is going to need breathers as the season goes along. Someone is going to have to come in without a huge dropoff from production.

Should tell us a lot about Lindgren as well. He needs to light a fire under the offense's ass and come out with some passion up front. He is really smart and needs to stop overthinking the playcalling.
And I'm not necessarily talking about a win.

But is CU in the game in the middle of 4Q via playing inspired, well coached football with crispness and execution in all three phases of game?

We desperately need another RB to step up. Lindsay was winded this past weekend and asked to come out. Insert Adkins to fumble the ball. Lindsay is going to need breathers as the season goes along. Someone is going to have to come in without a huge dropoff from production.
Evans is still getting into game shape. Have to hope he is closer to 100% this week. Lindsay was going really hard against UNC. Couldn't let his little brother win.

And I'm not necessarily talking about a win.

But is CU in the game in the middle of 4Q via playing inspired, well coached football with crispness and execution in all three phases of game?
Yup, even last year I don't think we played a game where all 3 phases performed their best at the same time. I actually don't think we have seen a game like that in the Mac era. That would be a great sign and confirmation on the hires he made this offseason and last. Els seems to be doing really well with the special teams units as of right now.

Lindgren needs to be spending a lot of time in the film room this week. This offense has the ability to be very explosive, but playing the Dan Reeves offense won't get it done.

We were a top 10 team, with 10 wins last season. We are currently 3-0 (first time since 2008) and there are fans acting likes it is 2012 again.
There remain questions about this program, namely was last year an anomaly and is this year's team good.

Saturday night is a key piece of information.

True - we'll know more about where this program is after Saturday, but let's not forget MAC1 took a step back in year 5 as well. It's likely MAC2 will as well but that doesn't mean the future isn't bright.

There remain questions about this program, namely was last year an anomaly and is this year's team good.

I understand their are questions about who this team is this season, a win or a loss against UW won't fully answer that anyway. Still, the talk about "moral" victories is stupid.

Last year might be an anomaly but let's not act like Mac was a complete failure in years 2 & 3, he took those less talented teams way above where they should have been, just couldn't close the deal in close games. Even if the Buffs only win 7 games this year I think it is pretty clear he knows his **** as a head coach.

I'm getting very annoyed at the number of Buffs fans acting like we're 30 point underdogs and talking about what would constitute a moral victory on Saturday. WTF?
agreed. I don't expect a win, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk **** and hope for the best. Neither team has played anyone yet this year, and UW hasn't really been in a dog fight at all. The silver lining from playing these three body bag games closer than they should is that our starting lineup has faced more controversy/pressure situations so far, so you can expect us to counter punch.

I'm also hoping to see a healthy OL, properly motivated, be a full go against UW. That changes everything.

I think we got em. They will come in overcocky to a loud and intimidating stadium. The Buffs get a jump on them by a crazy play and we hold that momentum. The huskies are about to get a dose of reality.

Back