What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Way early Pac-12 prediction (CBSsports)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Meh, I would have picked CU at 8th....so this isn't that far off...
Course I was the guy that thought the Buffs would be freaking amazing before the start of last season, so what the hell do I know?

Last edited:
Think the Buffs will be the biggest surprise of the Pac this year. With the change in the roster, everyone thinks it is rebuilding and it is to an extent but I think they could well surprise many.

The ASU, WSU and OSU picks are so so overinflated it's not even funny. And Stanford at 4? Are you kidding me?

Also remember it's the annual over-inflation of Stanford as the "even though picking them to do well has blown up in my face every year, I'm convinced that this is the year" pick.

Colorado's Tad Boyle is a perennial choice for "one of the nation's most underrated coaches," but without Derrick White and four more departed seniors, it could be a trying season for Boyle.

I'm very optimistic about this season and the players and Boyle. It was a "trying (last) season" even with White and the four seniors.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...riers-return-gives-arizona-a-final-four-shot/

Buffaloes
Colorado's Tad Boyle is a perennial choice for "one of the nation's most underrated coaches," but without Derrick White and four more departed seniors, it could be a trying season for Boyle.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
11. Washington
12. Cal

Revising history as at this time last year no one foresaw the Derrick White story. Which leads me to believe that some unnamed Buff will step up and have a season. Prognosticators all pick something rarely does it come to pass, injuries and chemistry.

Looking forward to see how it shakes out

I'm very optimistic about this season and the players and Boyle. It was a "trying (last) season" even with White and the four seniors.
It took me until this post (and RiverBuff quoting the context of the rational and the Tad Boyle reference) for me to realize this was about BBall. #itisntnovemberyet :LOL:

Actually, let them believe the Buffs will be that low. I suspect that isn't going to be the case unless Tad is just desperately trying to pump up his new joiners confidence for the season - he seems legitimately excited.

Without reading the link, I think the order is fair. Sure, you can nitpick at certain slots, but CU in the bottom third is completely fair. I am excited for the team though, and hope for NIT. I think bubble is our ceiling, and would love it of course if we crash the dance...but I think NIT is a good season for this year's squad.

I think that when you are counting on incoming Freshman to provide a substantial portion of your production it is harder to predict outcomes. This class has been hyped but we just don't know how they will respond when the lights turn on. Even with that uncertainty I think a 10th place finish is a worst-case scenario, but I wear gold-and-black tinted glasses when it comes to CU basketball.

I think that when you are counting on incoming Freshman to provide a substantial portion of your production it is harder to predict outcomes. This class has been hyped but we just don't know how they will respond when the lights turn on. Even with that uncertainty I think a 10th place finish is a worst-case scenario, but I wear gold-and-black tinted glasses when it comes to CU basketball.
I was just going to say pretty much this. The incoming Freshmen have a chance to put CU in the top 3-4 of the conference, or they could turn out to be entirely average and end up 10th. I think 10th is very much a worst case scenario.

Career 0.500 coach in league play, with zero top 4 finishes. One NCAA Tourney win in 7 years. Year 8, predicted to be 10th in the conference. Unwillingness to make assistant coaching changes to improve recruiting to the level needed to be a consistently top flight program in the PAC 12. Complete unwillingness to embrace social media.

Is this really the best you can hope for as a men's CU basketball fan??

Career 0.500 coach in league play, with zero top 4 finishes. One NCAA Tourney win in 7 years. Year 8, predicted to be 10th in the conference. Unwillingness to make assistant coaching changes to improve recruiting to the level needed to be a consistently top flight program in the PAC 12. Complete unwillingness to embrace social media.

Yes. Tad has done a fantastic job and the program is the healthiest it has ever been.

He also just had the highest rated class ever recruited to CU and has put this program in the discussion for an NCAA tourney bid every year. It has become the expectation generally amongst most fans. Would we like the program to take the next step, absolutely. I would like to see what your expectations are for a program that really never delivered even a sliver of hope going all the way back to when I was a freshman in 1985. A couple of years with Chauncey did not propel the program to the next level but Tad has moved it further than any other coach could. Pretty damn happy with where we are and very excited to see what we have with this incoming class.

That sounds like a super fair assessment. Better to have meager expectations with super young talent than expecting domination with them.

As annoying as Buffs233 is though, he has a point with his statistics and many of his gripes. Just as he is blind to the good, many others are blind to the negative and any level of criticism for our recent failings.

At the end of the day I just wish we could get one ultra talented blue chip guy and see how that turns out for Boyle.

Last edited:

Are you serious?

Has anyone heard anything about Grier? He seems to be killing it on the trail since joining a year ago. Imagine what Tad could do if he made another move like that on the staff.

Obviously buffs233 hasn't noticed that CU has its highest rated class this year, as of last year a new assistant coach, and a brand new social media adviser.

Weird.

Obviously buffs233 hasn't noticed that CU has its highest rated class this year, as of last year a new assistant coach, and a brand new social media adviser.

Weird.
don't introduce facts in the middle of a rant.
strides have been made: new asst coach, old asst coach reviving DU, the addition of White (NBA draft pick), and a top rated recruiting class. New sound system hopefully draws crowd to Coors as well as the talent on the floor. The altititude and packed/loud gym make for a homecourt advantage.

Personally, I'm thinking we're going to be roughly the same record-wise as last year's team but a lot more fun and rewarding for fans. There's going to be some serious growing pains. We're young, and we're not "one and done" young. Running a frosh PG - even one as good as Wright - is going to lead to some ugly nights - especially on the road. What's King going to do when he's the focus of a defense? Can he provide 15 a game in an efficient manner? Who's going to be our lockdown defenders? Bey has the talent. What about the Wright's? Schwartz has the most tools, but can he put it together this year? Huge jump from Colorado HS ball to the P12.

If we're a stock, I'm buying tons right now. But NIT is probably in the cards this year. Unlike last year though, there's going to be a lot of happiness on this board (well, maybe not this board...) about where we're going.

Don't disagree with your criticism of Tad. Given CU's history before Tad, I believe many CU fans are not ready to make a coaching change at this point.

I'll go on record: I'm not ready to make a coaching change EVER

General hyperbole or are you serious?

To me, Tad has won five years of mediocrity (defined here as NIT when we should make NCAA and nothing when NIT, so for this year, we don't even make NIT) and general disappointment. If that somehow happens, the seat justifiably should be hot. I don't think it will happen, and I'm not calling for his job until this happens for 5 consecutive years. I can understand 3 years, the seat getting warm and people being uneasy. I think he's earned 5 though.

General hyperbole or are you serious?

To me, Tad has won five years of mediocrity (defined here as NIT when we should make NCAA and nothing when NIT, so for this year, we don't even make NIT) and general disappointment. If that somehow happens, the seat justifiably should be hot. I don't think it will happen, and I'm not calling for his job until this happens for 5 consecutive years. I can understand 3 years, the seat getting warm and people being uneasy. I think he's earned 5 though.
100% serious. Tad is the right coach for the CU program.

100% serious. Tad is the right coach for the CU program.
Not sure Tad is quite at the coach for life level, after all two of the last three seasons have been disappointments. However, if it wasn't for Tad, they never would have been disappointments. What that means to me is that he has earned considerably more time before anyone should start thinking about replacing him.

Back