What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB off season news

Appears CU is picking up two transfers from Washington

Definitely need the center what with Charlotte out next season due to her hip surgeries. Seems CU tried to get Quay out of high school. Didn't succeed then but did now. She is probably the highest rated (by ProspectsNation) as a hs senior that CU WBB has had in years.

Definitely need the center what with Charlotte out next season due to her hip surgeries. Seems CU tried to get Quay out of high school. Didn't succeed then but did now. She is probably the highest rated (by ProspectsNation) as a hs senior that CU WBB has had in years.

Found this from "Kent Reporter" from when Miller committed to the Huskies:

Miller, of Renton, is one of the top recruits in the country. She is ranked 41st overall by Prospects Nation for the 2019 class with a 4.5-star rating. She is considered the sixth best post in the nation and the top overall prospect in the state.

Agree with BeBe that with Charlotte out and Maura Singer having never played college basketball it was important that JR & Co. find a posts who can play immediately.

It turns out that Sadler was a top 100 recruit as well out of HS. My guess is that both Sadler and Miller will be startes for the Buffs next season. I'm predicting the starting lineup at the beginning of the season (baring major injury) will be:

1. Sherrod
2. Sadler
3. Formann
4. Hollingshed
5. Miller

Off the bench in most games:

Finau, Jones, Knight, Blacksten and perhaps Taylor or Wetta.

It turns out that Sadler was a top 100 recruit as well out of HS. My guess is that both Sadler and Miller will be startes for the Buffs next season. I'm predicting the starting lineup at the beginning of the season (baring major injury) will be:

1. Sherrod
2. Sadler
3. Formann
4. Hollingshed
5. Miller

Our expectations should be high for next season. This should be a tourney team.

1. Sherrod
2. Sadler
3. Formann
4. Hollingshed
5. Miller

Hollingshed coming back with the returning players and solid transfers definitely raises my expectations. Hopeful they come together as a team. I remember attending women's games in the Ceal Barry days that were packed. Would love to see that again Covid willing.

1. Sherrod
2. Sadler
3. Formann
4. Hollingshed
5. Miller

Major oversight on my part, Peanut Tuitlele will obviously be a key player for the Buffs next season. There are going to be a lot of battles for playing time.

I don't know how to link to Instagram, but Madison Buford is transferring to Hampton University. I have not been able to find a Twitter account for Hampton WBB and Buford's Twitter is private.

ETA:

Last edited:
Raoul's transfer list (https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-fall-2020-summer-2021/4/) now lists 2 additional Buffs, both sophomores this past season, Zuzanna Kulinska and Raanee Smith, as being in the transfer portal.

Per his (UNOFFICIAL) Colorado roster listing (https://wbbblog.com/colorado-womens-basketball-recruiting/), he believes both are on scholarship.

Whether they stay in Boulder or end up leaving, best wishes to them!

Best wishes to Ms. Kuninska at McNeese State.

Great news with the return of Mya H and the transfers from Washington. JR and her staff got some well deserved breaks there.

OK ladies ... here's your first challenge of the new season. ESPN posted their first early look at the NCAA tourney for the 2021-22 season and have the Buffs in the field as a 10 seed and in the "last four in" group of bubble dwellers. First challenge : make this true that you make the big dance. Second challenge : Get off the bubble.

in general Pac 12 news, USC has hired a prior Cal head coach (who most recently has been an assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers) to be their coach.

Wanted to mention I just noticed the team has now posted a roster for next season (https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2021-22). Nothing significant I can see not already known, but in summary:

• There are 4 new Buffs, 2 freshmen (Taylor and Wetta) and 2 incoming transfers, both from the U. of Washington (Sadler (listed as a sophomore) and Miller (listed as a junior)).
  • There are 4 departed Buffs, 1 through graduation (Jank) and 3 outgoing transfers (Buford, Kulinska and Smith).
  • There are 2 returning Buffs who aren't showing as advancing a class- Mya Hollingshed, who decided to take the special extra year granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic***, and Sophie Gerber, who is listed as a redshirt freshman for next season after not playing at all this past season.
***If I understand things correctly (ALWAYS questionable), I believe all student-athletes, not just seniors like Ms. Hollingshed, are allowed to count this past year as a "non-counting" season, so can extend their college careers if they wish (and the coaches agree). Be interesting to see if, over the next few years, any other Buffs (in any sports) decide to (and are allowed to by the coaches) play an extra season. (Note that is assuming the extra year declaration doesn't need to be made this year, which I haven't heard one way or the other. However, It doesn't sound right to me if the NCAA would make this a requirement.)

Last edited:
Wanted to mention I just noticed the team has now posted a roster for next season (https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2021-22). Nothing significant I can see not already known, but in summary:

• There are 4 new Buffs, 2 freshmen (Taylor and Wetta) and 2 incoming transfers, both from the U. of Washington (Sadler (listed as a sophomore) and Miller (listed as a junior)).
  • There are 4 departed Buffs, 1 through graduation (Jank) and 3 outgoing transfers (Buford, Kulinska and Smith).
  • There are 2 returning Buffs who aren't showing as advancing a class- Mya Hollingshed, who decided to take the special extra year granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic***, and Sophie Gerber, who is listed as a redshirt freshman for next season after not playing at all this past season.
***If I understand things correctly (ALWAYS questionable), I believe all student-athletes, not just seniors like Ms. Hollingshed, are allowed to count this past year as a "non-counting" season, so can extend their college careers if they wish (and the coaches agree). Be interesting to see if, over the next few years, any other Buffs (in any sports) decide to (and are allowed to by the coaches) play an extra season. (Note that is assuming the extra year declaration doesn't need to be made this year, which I haven't heard one way or the other. However, It doesn't sound right to me if the NCAA would make this a requirement.)
Interesting that, back in November, Kennedy Taylor was a 6'3" forward and now she is listed as a 5'9" guard. Did her dad star in "Honey I shrunk the kids"?? Wonder how long it will take them to get that corrected?

IMO, Raoul has the most up to date information on NCAA WBB, looking at the big picture.

Congrats to Coach Payne. Hope she gets every penny of the potential bonus money!

Direct link - https://www.buffzone.com/2021/06/17...for-jr-payne-approved-by-cu-board-of-regents/

"

The Board of Regents also approved a three-year contract extension and raise for CU women’s basketball coach JR Payne. Payne, who has been at CU for five seasons, has a new deal that will run through the 2025-26 season with an annual base/supplemental salary of roughly $417,500. Her previous contract was set to expire after the 2022-23 season at about $354,200 in base and supplemental salary.

For Payne, CU added incentives for reaching 19 regular season wins ($30,000) and 21 regular season wins ($30,000) to her deal. Incentives for winning a Pac-12 regular season or tournament title are still included, but the values have been increased. The incentive for being named Pac-12 coach of the year has also increased for Payne, to $25,000. Incentives for reaching each round of the NCAA Tournament remain, as well.
"

2 seasons was all she was there. Jenny is definitely used to coaching better athletes than she did at UNC. So back to the Pac for her.

endowment is a good thing. I would like to see it around 2 million so they can take care of all the coaches and not be at the bottom of the league all the time. I really hope people jump on this

Interesting that we haven't heard anything yet about he schedule and there haven't been any verbal commitments for the from the HS class of '22.

I am guessing they need to finalize one or so non-conference dates and the Pac 12 is still finishing the 18 game conference schedule.

Recruiting wise, I wonder if bringing in the two transfers from Washington (Tameiya Sadler and Quay Miller) ahve changed the equation for both the coaches potential recruits?

Back