What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB off season news

Last season, the original plan was for CU to play Wisconsin in Madison. I was hoping this year, that would happen. Now Wisconsin is coming to Boulder so I don't think I will get to see a game in person.

Buffs Set Non-Conference Slate​

BOULDER – Head coach JR Payne and the Colorado women's basketball team announced an 11-game non-conference schedule, that includes the return of the team's Rocky Mountain Hoops Classic on Monday.

Colorado will host eight home contests at the CU Events Center before jumping into Pac-12 play. Teams from the Big Ten, Big West, Big East and the American Athletic Conference highlight some of the home dates.

"I believe this year's schedule will provide our team the mental and physical challenges that it will take to truly prepare us for the rigors of playing in the Pac-12 Conference," Payne explained.

CU will host Colorado School of Mines in an exhibition leading up to the season on Nov. 1.

The Buffs' official start to the 2021-22 season starts with two road matchups. This season marks the first time CU will start away from Boulder since the 2017-18 season. The Buffs will open the season visiting old Big 12 rival Oklahoma State on Nov. 10. It will be the first meeting between the two schools since CU departed for the Pac-12. Colorado will return to the Centennial State for game No. 2, driving down to Air Force on Nov. 14.

"We are extremely excited about our preseason schedule this year," Payne commented. "Opening at Oklahoma State and Air Force will be a challenging way to start the season, but we are ready for that challenge."

CU's first home game of the season will be on Nov. 19 against Marquette. Colorado is 1-1 all-time against the Golden Eagles. It will be MU's third trip to Boulder, previously making the trip for the 1994 NCAA Tournament (CU, 77-74) and the 2008 WNIT (MU, 86-72).

Colorado will play two more home games against Samford (Nov. 22) and Texas Southern (Nov. 23), leading up to Thanksgiving.

The Rocky Mountain Hoops Classic returns for the first time since 2017. The Buffs will play host to Boise State, Louisiana Tech and Wisconsin. Each team will play two pre-determined games, with Colorado's opponents being Louisiana Tech (Nov. 27) and Wisconsin (Nov. 28).

"We are thrilled that we could bring our Thanksgiving tournament back to Boulder," Payne added. "It's great to be able to include teams from different parts of the country in Boise State, LA Tech and Wisconsin."

Colorado's remaining home games come against Dixie State (Dec. 3), Southern Methodist (Dec. 17) and San Francisco (Dec. 20).

Coach Payne will return to Southern Utah when the Buffs visit Cedar City on Dec. 8.

The Pac-12 previously released its weekly pairings with CU opening conference play on the road at Oregon and Oregon State the weekend of Dec. 31-Jan. 2. Specific times and dates will be announced at a later date.

The Buffaloes will hold their first official practice of the season on Sept. 30.

Date Opponent Location Time (MT)
Nov. 1 Colorado Mines (Exh.)CU Events Center 7 p.m.
Nov. 10 Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. 7:30 p.m.
Nov. 14 Air Force USAFA, Colo. 2 p.m.
Nov. 19 Marquette CU Events Center 7 p.m.
Nov. 22 Samford CU Events Center 6 p.m.
Nov. 23 Texas Southern CU Events Center 6 p.m.
Nov. 26 Boise State vs LA Tech CU Events Center 2 p.m.
Nov. 27 LA Tech CU Events Center 1 p.m.
Nov. 27 Wisconsin vs Boise State CU Events Center 3:30 p.m.
Nov. 28 Wisconsin CU Events Center TBD
Dec. 3 Dixie State CU Events Center 7 p.m.
Dec. 8 Southern Utah Cedar City, Utah 6:30 p.m.
Dec. 17 SMU CU Events Center 6 p.m.
Dec. 20 San Francisco CU Events Center 1 p.m.

It sure seems like it took longer than normal to formalize the non-conference schedule.

If CU is gonna make a run at the NCAA tourney, this season will be the one. Hollingshed returning combined with the Washington transfers (Sadler and Miller) and a solid group of seniors might give them a shot.

Still not recruiting at a high level in general.

I know La Tech is not the La Tech of old, but I'm happy to see a team like that on the schedule.

Okie State looks like a good road trip as they went to the NCAA tourney last season. They lost to Stanford in the 2nd round.

I know both JR and Tad say they have problems getting home/away schedules set up.

I’m not convinced that this schedule sets the Buffs up for success against the Pac-12 slate outside of maybe Oklahoma State. To me, that’s slightly disappointing for a team that I have expectations of earning a tourney bid—this OOC schedule doesn’t do them any favors.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a competitive non-conference schedule. I know there were none during the Lappe years and I'm thinking none during the McConnell years.

They have looked like practice to me also. So have the photos I've seen from other teams. I think those are pre-season "conditioning"

In case I forget later, wanted to mention I just noticed that this Tuesday (10/12) is Pac 12 Media Day for women's basketball. (Men's bball media day is scheduled for this Wednesday.):

From what I can see:
  • The Buffs are scheduled to be represented by Coach Payne, Mya Hollingshed and Jaylyn Sherrod.
  • The day begins with Commissioner Kliavkoff giving opening remarks and answering questions from 11:00-~11:30 AM MT.
  • After that, looks like the Buffs are the 1st team scheduled to be in front of the media for the press conference portion of the event, with their time slot being scheduled for 11:40 AM - noon MT. (Looks like these press conferences are available on the Pac 12 Now App, as well as, I'm GUESSING, the Pac 12 website. It's unclear to me, but they MAY (???) also be available on the Pac 12 Networks.
  • Then, it looks like the team also has a 15 minute (I assume interview) slot scheduled from 2:00-@2:15 PM MT on the Pac 12 Networks.
  • The Media Day homepage is https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/media-day-2021.

Last edited:
From a supporter of Coach Barry from the day she arrived on the CU campus until now: Congratulations!!!!!

It's impossible not to like JR. Hope for a great season.....
Yep. There's a case of wanting to be patient as long as possible because it would be so great if it worked with her. Going into last season I was about at the end of my rope, though. Saw some good signs that seemed to save her job. But she's got to get over the hump this season.

Preview out in front of tomorrow evening's season opening scrimmage against Mines. (Per the below, there is no video stream.) -

"
BOULDER— The Colorado women's basketball team will have its only exhibition of the season, hosting Colorado Mines on Monday (7 p.m. MT).

For many of the Buffaloes younger players, it will be the first time playing in front of an unrestricted crowd at the CU Events Center.

"I've never experienced fans," sophomore Frida Formann noted. "It's going to be bigger than what I experienced in Denmark. I'm just looking forward t having fans and feeling the buzz [from the crowd]. I think it's going to be great."

Monday will be the Buffs' first time on the court since closing the season in the quarterfinals of the WNIT. CU went 12-11 last season and 8-8 in conference play. It was the Buffs' first postseason trip since 2017 and head coach JR Payne expects the team's upward growth to continue this season.

"We have a lot of veterans and we have new players that are learning how to train, how to compete, how to make sure all of that becomes a daily habit," Payne commented. "We did have some big wins [last year]. I expect us to have more big wins this year and I know we're capable of that."

Monday's exhibition will not be streamed online.

The Buffs get the regular season rolling on Nov. 10 when they travel to Stillwater, Okla., to play their old Big 12 rival Oklahoma State.
"
________________________________________________________________________________

Live stats (If they even give them) - I don't see any link yet, but if it's like last season, https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary and/ or https://admin.cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary should work.

Jill said to someone on social media, there is no livestream but there will be live stats.

Back