What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We are truly set up to shock people

8 wins minimum.

I am on board with DBT and the other kool-aid drinkers. I've read enough of their posts to think we are going to be pretty darn good. Can't wait for the season to start.

8 wins, for me, is the make or break line. Hawk has shat the bed too many times for me to be impressed with "improvement", I want to see something that leads me to believe Hawk can win A LOT in the near futur. He's had 4 years to show something, and aside from 2 games (OU and WVU) he has been everyone's favorite whipping boy.

If Hawk wins eight, I say he earns another year, but even then, another 3-9, 4-8 showing the year after earns him a ticket to potato land IMO.

I don't consider 7-5 a good season. I say 8 regular season wins and a good bowl showing. If they go 8-4 and win the bowl game, retain him. But if they get embarrassed in the bowl game, that makes it a tough decision. Wins and hardware.

I don't consider 7-5 a good season. I say 8 regular season wins and a good bowl showing. If they go 8-4 and win the bowl game, retain him. But if they get embarrassed in the bowl game, that makes it a tough decision. Wins and hardware.

This team could have a winning season at 7-5 in rather unimpressive fashion. Let's say they beat Hawaii, CSWho, ISU, KSU, Baylor, KU, and TT. Or take out TT or Baylor and throw in Cal or Mizzou if you want. See, it's not that difficult to come up with 7 wins with this schedule. Would that be a decent season? Sure, it would be decent, but that's it. And the thing is, people would be saying, "wow, look they had a 4-game improvement over last year, that's great!" But what most people would fail to realize is how poorly this team under-achieved last year by only winning 3 games. A mediocre season preceded by a terribly under-achieving one wouldn't make this season a great one by any means.

^^^This^^^

I think what happens with the 4 loses also needs to be a factor. 8 wins is nice, but if we lose by 30 in each of the loses I'm still not wanting Hawkins back. The Mizzou game last year sticks in my head.

It is one thing to lose a close game, it is another to get crushed because the team never got off the bus.

It's 8 regular season games for me - a bowl win would make nine wins (just to be clear). To reach that, you really need to beat the teams you should beat and have a quality win or two.

I am convinced we have the kids to win.

For Colorado to even win 8 games, some of them are going to HAVE TO BE quality wins.

Of the 12 games on the schedule - the only games where a victory isn't going to impress anyone are CSU, Hawaii, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, and ISU.

A victory in any of the following games is a VERY quality win, IMO:

Georgia
AT California*
AT Mizzou
Tech
AT Oklahoma*
AT Nebraska*

* = Big time respect for a victory

For Colorado to even win 8 games, some of them are going to HAVE TO BE quality wins.

Of the 12 games on the schedule - the only games where a victory isn't going to impress anyone are CSU, Hawaii, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, and ISU.

A victory in any of the following games is a VERY quality win, IMO:

Georgia
AT California*
AT Mizzou
Tech
AT Oklahoma*
AT Nebraska*

* = Big time respect for a victory

I agree. 8 wins means Hawkins would have to do something he's never shown he can do, which is beat the teams he should beat, and win a game (or two) that he shouldn't.

Looking at the schedule, there's 4 games that any decent coach should win - CSU, Hawaii, ISU, Baylor. Lose any one of those, and frankly, I don't give a sh*t about the rest of the season. No excuses for losing any of those games. Period. I don't give a rat's ass about injuries, weather, swine flu, Rosh Hashana, solar eclipses, lost unicorns, etc.

DBT really doesn't seem to get the bolded part. The best thing I hvae heard all summer was that this team was ready to win DESPITE the staff...

Oh bull ****. I understand. I also understand, for instance, that Kiesau was thrown into the OC position after spring training last year. We had a brand new OL coach in Johnson. This year we have a new receivers coach and a new backfield coach who both at least appear to be getting high reviews. I just saw a post the other day saying Riddle had a top 25 special teams at BSU. So to say this staff sucks is unfair, at this point.

Oh bull ****. I understand. I also understand, for instance, that Kiesau was thrown into the OC position after spring training last year. We had a brand new OL coach in Johnson. This year we have a new receivers coach and a new backfield coach who both at least appear to be getting high reviews. I just saw a post the other day saying Riddle had a top 25 special teams at BSU. So to say this staff sucks is unfair, at this point.
I dunno, maybe DJ and Prince get a pass, but everybody else has pretty much been here for the ubersuckitude festival that comprises the 16-33 benchmark Hawk has set. Bill Parcells is pretty good coach and I believe it was he who said: "You are what your win/loss record says you are".

I get the hope that the staff actually figures out how to field a competitive team. I hope they do too. I really do. I'd love to sit down to a big old plate of crow if the Buffs win 8 or more. It would make me happy. I just don't think I'm going to have to worry about that based on the last four years.

For one thing, geez, Id be happy with a damn road win no matter who it is. Id also like to stay within 50 points of Missouri and for the staff to see their d gameplan uhh doesnt work against the Tigers. For him to be here next year, id say a bowl game is an absolute must. Not only that, we have to get at least one big win. For instance, Nebraska, Georgia, Cal, Mizzou, OU etc. Getting blown the hell out in any games will not look good. Bottomline, it is about w's but I dont think getting embarrassed by anybody will bring Hawk good news.

The conference schedule does set up pretty nice for Hawkins this year.

Baylor, Tech, KSU, and ISU are all home games (i.e. should be wins) and KU has an entirely new coaching staff, making that a potentially winnable road game. Win those 5 games and Hawkins will actually get his first ever winning record in conference.

This year we have a new receivers coach and a new backfield coach who both at least appear to be getting high reviews. I just saw a post the other day saying Riddle had a top 25 special teams at BSU. So to say this staff sucks is unfair, at this point.

Who was our crappy receivers coach last year? We were a top 10 worst teams in all of college football with our special teams in 2009. 16-33. This coaching staff sucks until they prove otherwise.

Let me kind of rephrase. I think you can point to reasons why this years staff may be better than last years. New receivers coach. New DB coach. An OC with a season under his belt. OL coach with a year under his belt and an experienced, healthy and deep O-Line for the first time in, about, forever. And a team not made up of 95% freshmen and sophomores to coach. But, yeah, they have to prove it.

How many ****ing excuses does this ****ty staff get? In 2006 it was "it's our first year". In 2007 it was "we're young and inexperienced". In 2008 it was "we had a ****-ton of injuries". In 2009 it was "we're STILL young and inexperienced". When's it ****ing going to stop?

The Mizzou game will tell us a lot about whether this team has turned the corner.

The Mizzou game will tell us a lot about whether this team has turned the corner.

pretty important spot on the schedule, too, imo. after CSU and Cal, we've got 4 of 5 at home with MU being the roadie. the two subsequent games with BU and Tech are must wins. a lot of people seem to think "we have Tech's number"....but that's hooey. if we come back home after another half a hundred, gasher-filled asswhipping in Columbia feeling sorry for ourselves...at 2-3 (though 3-2 would be a big, big boost).....we'll have to take care of business the next two weeks with no slips to have a reasonable shot at a 6-7 win season and a bowl.

the embarrassing thing about the MU games under Hawk (minus 06) is not just that they light us up....but that we can't score. and everybody scores on MU.

Last edited:

lulz.

Hawk couldn't beat Mizzou on playstation.

Lemme guess, he's going to go after their QB with a 3-man rush, just to prove he's been right all along. :rofl:

Hawkins said prior to the camp that players would “have to earn the right” to have a Buff logo affixed to their helmets.

And Dan should have to earn the right to coach this once proud program in 2011. I say 9 wins, which includes a bowl win. He should have been fired after last year's performances.

Who was our crappy receivers coach last year? We were a top 10 worst teams in all of college football with our special teams in 2009. 16-33. This coaching staff sucks until they prove otherwise.

Yeah, last season's receivers' coach really sucked... Should have fired him. :smile2:

How many ****ing excuses does this ****ty staff get? In 2006 it was "it's our first year". In 2007 it was "we're young and inexperienced". In 2008 it was "we had a ****-ton of injuries". In 2009 it was "we're STILL young and inexperienced". When's it ****ing going to stop?
Well, I'd say it will stop this year. One way or the other.

I think what happens with the 4 loses also needs to be a factor. 8 wins is nice, but if we lose by 30 in each of the loses I'm still not wanting Hawkins back. The Mizzou game last year sticks in my head.

It is one thing to lose a close game, it is another to get crushed because the team never got off the bus.

I agree with this. No more getting blown out even by the best teams. We showed we can beat the best teams in the nation, so let's show we can not get blown out by mediocre teams.

Hey, everyone forgets what a rebuilding project this was. No way we would have been good in '06-08.

We didn't have the Offensive Hogs nor the skilled playmakers.

2009 - that was a bad job of coaching. Maybe it was an aberration. Maybe it's not. I like what I've seen of Kiesau's offense now that he's had a 1 year to learn on our dime, and he's got more than 1 threat at his disposal.

We will definitively know for sure, 1000% by early October. There is no point in burying the staff now.

Back