What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does Coach Hawkins have to do to keep his job?

SN_electric_pole.jpg

That's not a poll, dumbass. That's the Nebraska state tree!!

I personally believe you give a coach at least 5 years. That's one full recruiting cycle. This rule of thumb may be broken, but only if there are valid reasons for doing so. Valid reasons are:

A. Major off-field issues.

B. If the team is just awful. Such as a record well below .500 and getting blown out on a regular basis. In other words not competitive. And while Hawk's record has not been great I don't think the team's performance has been awful save maybe 1 or 2 games.

So for this year, as long as we win at least, say, 5 games and Hawk doesn't get caught doing coke off a stripper's ass, I'll be in his corner. :thumbsup:

Hawk doesn't get caught doing coke off a stripper's ass, I'll be in his corner. :thumbsup:

i think i might find him to be more endearing if such an event were to become public. i think i have issues.

:lol:

What I was trying to ask is; for you to support Hawkins to continue as the Buffs Coach what does he have to do this year and in the future?
Minimum 3rd place in Big XII North.
MUST beat CSU, Toledo, Wyoming, K-State, A&M, and Iowa State.
Must win at least ONE game out of Kansas, Missouri, or ****braska.
Have to make a bowl appearance.

The six must win games should be slam dunks. If we lose any one of those, then pulling an upset against UT, WV, or OK State would probably be needed to undo a loss to one of the crap teams that we play this year.

Minimum 3rd place in Big XII North.
MUST beat CSU, Toledo, Wyoming, K-State, A&M, and Iowa State.
Must win at least ONE game out of Kansas, Missouri, or ****braska.
Have to make a bowl appearance.

The six must win games should be slam dunks. If we lose any one of those, then pulling an upset against UT, WV, or OK State would probably be needed to undo a loss to one of the crap teams that we play this year.
I fully expect a loss to one of the "gimmes"... but I do expect a win against one of hte big boys. It is how young teams go.

I personally believe you give a coach at least 5 years. That's one full recruiting cycle. This rule of thumb may be broken, but only if there are valid reasons for doing so. Valid reasons are:

B. If the team is just awful. Such as a record well below .500 and getting blown out on a regular basis. In other words not competitive. And while Hawk's record has not been great I don't think the team's performance has been awful save maybe 1 or 2 games.

So for this year, as long as we win at least, say, 5 games and Hawk doesn't get caught doing coke off a stripper's ass, I'll be in his corner. :thumbsup:

I believe he has two more years on his contract. He needs a new contract at the end of this year for him to be an effective recruiter. Recruits commit to the coach as much as the school.

I fully expect a loss to one of the "gimmes"... but I do expect a win against one of hte big boys. It is how young teams go.
Agreed. My guess is that we get the late season surprise on OK State. I won't even venture a guess as to which "gimme" we might lose to as the thought of losing to any of them makes me something something.

How many years left on Hawks contract?

Even if the Buffs go 0 for 2009 he is back next year if he has more than two years left on a contract.

Hawk will be here in 2010 if the buffs win 0 games or 14 games.

:yeahthat:

Hawk is on no hot seat whatsoever.. This year will determine if he'll be on the hot seat next year or not..

I believe Hawk signed an extension through 2012 last year..

Agreed

i think those of you who suggest that a 3 or 4 win season wouldn't get him fired are misguided. you vastly underestimate the pressure that bohn would get in such a circumstance from the key boosters. remember that they didn't want to run gb out the door until the ugly finish to the last season and then the boosters came up with the money and out he went.

the same thing happened to mallory (it was believed by key boosters that he couldn't take the team to the next level... unfortunately, the next level was the depths of the fairbanks era).

the Buffs have had 3 consecutive losing season in their bread and butter revenue producing sport. a 4th such season and it will be very, very hard for hawkins to get a 5th year. recruiting will be seriously impacted.

this assumption that CU has endless patience for failure as long as they keep the team out of trouble is just not the real world. sure, this isn't bama or some other power where they will blow out a coaching staff willy-nilly. but, 4 consecutive losing seasons would be, imho, the final straw.

I agree with that...except the boosters never came up with the money to fire Barnett (they took a loan out from the CU foundation). It is not just the number of wins but the perception of the program direction. If Hawkins has a losing season this year he is going to be under tremendous pressure.

Anybody who thinks that Hawk is any danger of losing his job is a moron. He has three years on his contract, and we aint buying out anybody anytime soon, period.

Anybody who thinks that Hawk is any danger of losing his job is a moron. He has three years on his contract, and we aint buying out anybody anytime soon, period.

well, maybe you should become more familiar with the FACTS as opposed to expressing your OPINION in such a bitchy little way.

here's a fact for you. the buyout clause of hawk's contract is for an amount far less than the full value remaining.

oops. but i guess those that have expressed an opinion contrary to you are just "morons."

dumbass.

well, maybe you should become more familiar with the FACTS as opposed to expressing your OPINION in such a bitchy little way.

here's a fact for you. the buyout clause of hawk's contract is for an amount far less than the full value remaining.

oops. but i guess those that have expressed an opinion contrary to you are just "morons."

dumbass.
Still laugh my ass off every time I look at your signature...classic.

i think those of you who suggest that a 3 or 4 win season wouldn't get him fired are misguided. you vastly underestimate the pressure that bohn would get in such a circumstance from the key boosters. remember that they didn't want to run gb out the door until the ugly finish to the last season and then the boosters came up with the money and out he went.

the same thing happened to mallory (it was believed by key boosters that he couldn't take the team to the next level... unfortunately, the next level was the depths of the fairbanks era).

the Buffs have had 3 consecutive losing season in their bread and butter revenue producing sport. a 4th such season and it will be very, very hard for hawkins to get a 5th year. recruiting will be seriously impacted.

this assumption that CU has endless patience for failure as long as they keep the team out of trouble is just not the real world. sure, this isn't bama or some other power where they will blow out a coaching staff willy-nilly. but, 4 consecutive losing seasons would be, imho, the final straw.
That's one firing I could never understand, and I started school at CU when he came on board. He only had one losing season - his first in 1974. The next year he went 9 -3, and lost to Texas in the Bluebonnet Bowl. In 1976, he went 8 - 4, his team finished 1st in the Big 8 with a 5 - 2 record, and I'll never forget sitting in Folsom watching CU beat OU 42 - 31. Tony Reed, Laval Short, James Mayberry, Brian Cabral, and Donnie Hasselbeck - they lost close games to NU and Ohio State that year. Mallory was rough around the edges, and not a "slick media type" selling bull $hit like Chuck Fairbanks - so they got rid of him. Hawkins hasn't remotely sniffed the success Mallory had, and yet I think regardless of what he does this year, he will finish out his contract. You can thank Vicker's for that bonehead move - he sure knew how to pick a winner.:lol:

Last edited:

dumbass.

I'm the one being bitchy? That's pretty funny, tiger. Maybe I should have put more words in ALL CAPS because if you put something in CAPS then that turns your OPINIONS into FACTS, right?

If Bohn fires Hawk now he would have to go out and hire a coach for the lowest salary in the big 12 by far, and probably a whole new staff into the bargain, and I'm sure that would be real easy, right after firing a hot property guy that was handed a decimated program with a strapped budget and sub-par facilities. Bohn would just be able to waltz into the coaches convention and hands would go up, saying "ME! ME! I want to be underpaid and put on a short leash!!" Or maybe Mike Shanahan would want to come to the college game for an annual salary close to what he used to earn in a month. Better coaches than Hawk are just lining up waiting for the chance, right? Maybe that would sound less ridiculous if I put it into ALL CAPS.

Oh, and by the way, any buyout at all would be sort of steep for a program that is flat broke and desperately trying to raise the money for basketball facilities, so the fact (sorry, FACT) that his buyout isn't for the full $3 million left on his contract isn't really saying much.

If you think Hawk is in any danger of losing his job after this year than you are a moron.

I haven't read thru this whole thread so I may be repeating what some others have said, but regardless of how poor he does this year, he's not gonna lose his job. However, I think a bad-to-mediocre year this year (say 6 wins or less) will probably put him on the hot seat to show major improvement in 2010.

I like a lot of the stuff Hawk has brought to Boulder but I am also ready to see some results on the field. He has all his own guys in place, a great schedule and its time to produce. I'll give him a pass last year due to the injuries, but its time to at least be a contender in the north. I would like to believe anything less than 7 wins gets hims the boot, but in reality, barring some scandal, he will not lose his job this year.

Bohn will not fire hawkins. They are happy with CU graduating players and in their minds"being competitive". It would take hawk going in and taking a deuce on bohn's desk to get him fired.

Hawk has at least 2 more years to deliver. After that, if he is not successful, Hawk and Bohn will be expendable. We should accept nothing less. The past 3 years has been hell for all CU fans. If those guys cannot get us back to where we belong in 6 years, then bring in guys who can.

If you think Hawk is in any danger of losing his job after this year than you are a moron.

you state your opinions as if they are facts. they are not facts. but, the fact that you have limited comprehension skills and got caught spewing bull**** ("waah. he has 3 years left on his contract so it is too expensive. waaah. sob. gasp.") has apparently bunched your panties.

learn to think and then you can talk with the big kids.

'tard.

Back