What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does Coach Hawkins have to do to keep his job?

2750118481_00ce55a1dc.jpg
you state your opinions as if they are facts. they are not facts. but, the fact that you have limited comprehension skills and got caught spewing bull**** ("waah. he has 3 years left on his contract so it is too expensive. waaah. sob. gasp.") has apparently bunched your panties.

learn to think and then you can talk with the big kids.

'tard.

A .500 season or better and I think Hawkins will return for another season. He is under contract through 2012. However, I do believe that his buyout is reduced by 1/2 every successive year. If I recall, the buyout following the 2009 season is $500,000.

what can we do? dude comes in with a false premise and then calls anyone who disagrees with him a "moron."

truth is, it could go either way on what would happen if there is another horrific year. but, that doesn't mean dumbasses should be allowed to roam freely without consequence.

what can we do? dude comes in with a false premise and then calls anyone who disagrees with him a "moron."

truth is, it could go either way on what would happen if there is another horrific year. but, that doesn't mean dumbasses should be allowed to roam freely without consequence.

I agree.

you state your opinions as if they are facts. they are not facts. but, the fact that you have limited comprehension skills and got caught spewing bull**** ("waah. he has 3 years left on his contract so it is too expensive. waaah. sob. gasp.") has apparently bunched your panties.

learn to think and then you can talk with the big kids.

'tard.

My comprehension skills are just fine, tiger. Yours however, need some work.

The AD is flat broke. The AD still owes the University General Fund several million dollars. We are struggling to raise the money for basketball facilities that should have been built ten years ago. No coach as good as Hawk, let alone better, would touch this job at the salary Hawk is being paid, especially if we fire Hawk after handing him a sh*t sandwich three tears ago. Bohn (not being a moron) knows this. Therefore, there is no way he will fire Hawk after this year.

And seriously, your calling me a dumbass and a tard, and not even trying to argue rationally, and you're saying that I need to learn to think? That's pretty funny, tiger.

I disagree. If there was ever a place heaven made for dumbasses to roam freely without consequence, it is internet message boards!!:smile2:

My comprehension skills are just fine, tiger. Yours however, need some work.

The AD is flat broke. The AD still owes the University General Fund several million dollars. We are struggling to raise the money for basketball facilities that should have been built ten years ago. No coach as good as Hawk, let alone better, would touch this job at the salary Hawk is being paid, especially if we fire Hawk after handing him a sh*t sandwich three tears ago. Bohn (not being a moron) knows this. Therefore, there is no way he will fire Hawk after this year.

And seriously, your calling me a dumbass and a tard, and not even trying to argue rationally, and you're saying that I need to learn to think? That's pretty funny, tiger.

I don't even know where to start. The AD is flat broke? Are you nuts? Where are you getting this information from? You're just making stuff up. There's no basis whatsoever for this comment, yet you throw it out there like it's accepted fact. Based on that alone, I'd agree with liver in his assessment of your faculties.

That's one firing I could never understand, and I started school at CU when he came on board. He only had one losing season - his first in 1974. The next year he went 9 -3, and lost to Texas in the Bluebonnet Bowl. In 1976, he went 8 - 4, his team finished 1st in the Big 8 with a 5 - 2 record, and I'll never forget sitting in Folsom watching CU beat OU 42 - 31. Tony Reed, Laval Short, James Mayberry, Brian Cabral, and Donnie Hasselbeck - they lost close games to NU and Ohio State that year. Mallory was rough around the edges, and not a "slick media type" selling bull $hit like Chuck Fairbanks - so they got rid of him. Hawkins hasn't remotely sniffed the success Mallory had, and yet I think regardless of what he does this year, he will finish out his contract. You can thank Vicker's for that bonehead move - he sure knew how to pick a winner.:lol:

Mallory himself admitted he came on too strong during that era of his career. He was like Bo Pellini would have been as a hire in Boulder.

A former player from Eddie's '71 #3 ranked team, told me Mallory was pretty poor at hiring assistants as well, and THEY are the lifeblood of any program, both as teachers and recruiters!

The REAL(gawd, I love caps!) tragedy was not hiring former BUff DC Don James---who was available the same year Mallory was hired. Eddie was a great Buff, but a little weak in assessing HC candidates. (And don't gimme Mac as an example, Chuck Shelton was Eddie's choice to replace Chairbanks, Arnold Weber MADE him interview and hire Mac!)

The REAL(gawd, I love caps!) tragedy was not hiring former BUff DC Don James---who was available the same year Mallory was hired. Eddie was a great Buff, but a little weak in assessing HC candidates. (And don't gimme Mac as an example, Chuck Shelton was Eddie's choice to replace Chairbanks, Arnold Weber MADE him interview and hire Mac!)

Am I allowed to throw Ceal Barry's name out there for consideration?

I could not really respond to this thread because it is so LAME! Him "keeping his job" this year is not even in question barring some major league meltdown or scandal.

Am I allowed to throw Ceal Barry's name out there for consideration?

When we talk women's B-ball, YES!....but I seem to recall that she was hired by Downhill Bill, rather than Eddie, BUT I MAY BE WRONG!:lol:

Having attended CU during the scandal and the end of the Barnett era, I can tell you that the program was literally in shambles. Anyone remember the Big XII championship against Vince Young & Texas?? No respectable team loses a championship game 70-3.

Whoever took over after Barnett knew they had to rebuild the program from the ground up and don't forget the recruiting limitations put in place as a result of the scandal.

Hawkins has had to spend a lot of time rebuilding the fundamentals of this football program, and while it is vital to start there, the results aren't as pretty or tangible as W's and recruiting rankings. Nonetheless, look what has been accomplished:

*Consistently getting CO's top recruits to stay in state (something I never remember happening before Hawkins)
*Football team getting some of the best GPAs in a long time
*Accountability groups to minimize off-field problems.

These are all aspects that will lead to a cohesive TEAM that can win games. Lets be honest, CU ins't Florida State or even Texas in that we're going to have to win as a scrappy fighting team rather than on the shoulders of a few very very talented individuals.

That being said, CU is looking to recruit a special kind of student athlete, someone looking for more than just their easiest shot into the NFL - which is much harder to find, but I think what Hawkins is building is a sustainable program that once up & running will be strong for some time based on the quality of those in the program.

Don't get me wrong - I personally sat in the Florida heat & humidity just to watch us be humiliated by FSU last year. I'm as frustrated and angry as anyone about our performance last season and the seemingly unending drama each off season. But, in my opinion, Hawkins is safe for some time. I think the AD and University President are looking at much more than the W's - they're looking at the kind of student football players that are representing our program and things like the GPAs and accountability groups impress them much more than they impress us. If we win fewer than 7 games, there will be pressure and calls for his job, but he won't be going anywhere.

Having attended CU during the scandal and the end of the Barnett era, I can tell you that the program was literally in shambles. Anyone remember the Big XII championship against Vince Young & Texas?? No respectable team loses a championship game 70-3.

Whoever took over after Barnett knew they had to rebuild the program from the ground up and don't forget the recruiting limitations put in place as a result of the scandal.

Hawkins has had to spend a lot of time rebuilding the fundamentals of this football program, and while it is vital to start there, the results aren't as pretty or tangible as W's and recruiting rankings. Nonetheless, look what has been accomplished:

*Consistently getting CO's top recruits to stay in state (something I never remember happening before Hawkins)

These are all aspects that will lead to a cohesive TEAM that can win games. Lets be honest, CU ins't Florida State or even Texas in that we're going to have to win as a scrappy fighting team rather than on the shoulders of a few very very talented individuals.

That being said, CU is looking to recruit a special kind of student athlete, someone looking for more than just their easiest shot into the NFL - which is much harder to find, but I think what Hawkins is building is a sustainable program that once up & running will be strong for some time based on the quality of those in the program.

Don't get me wrong - I personally sat in the Florida heat & humidity just to watch us be humiliated by FSU last year. I'm as frustrated and angry as anyone about our performance last season and the seemingly unending drama each off season. But, in my opinion, Hawkins is safe for some time. I think the AD and University President are looking at much more than the W's - they're looking at the kind of student football players that are representing our program and things like the GPAs and accountability groups impress them much more than they impress us. If we win fewer than 7 games, there will be pressure and calls for his job, but he won't be going anywhere.[/QUOTE

Logic and facts and reason on this Board ??? Whiskey.Tango.Foxtrot?

Oh! Irony be thy name!

Don't get me wrong - I personally sat in the Florida heat & humidity just to watch us be humiliated by FSU last year. I'm as frustrated and angry as anyone about our performance last season and the seemingly unending drama each off season. But, in my opinion, Hawkins is safe for some time. I think the AD and University President are looking at much more than the W's - they're looking at the kind of student football players that are representing our program and things like the GPAs and accountability groups impress them much more than they impress us. If we win fewer than 7 games, there will be pressure and calls for his job, but he won't be going anywhere.[/QUOTE

Logic and facts and reason on this Board ??? Whiskey.Tango.Foxtrot?

Oh! Irony be thy name!
this post is like, triple layered with irony.

Off-field problems have not been minimized by any objective measure. There are still several arrests every year. There are guys not getting their grades. There are disciplinary/attitude issues. There are guys leaving the team in large numbers every season.

Perception may have changed - for now - but this team still has significant off-field issues.

Off-field problems have not been minimized by any objective measure. There are still several arrests every year. There are guys not getting their grades. There are disciplinary/attitude issues. There are guys leaving the team in large numbers every season.

Perception may have changed - for now - but this team still has significant off-field issues.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
I would say off field problems with the law are down this year (knock on wood). Also grades are awesome! And players transfer from every program every year. EVERY PROGRAM!

to Purifydat's post: i was a grad student during the scandal era and i can tell you from direct personal experience, by then, the academic support in the AD was pretty shady.

i liked Barney and still do....but i think a lot of oversight issues were occurring by the end and things were getting pretty squirrel-y.

while i'm a little tired of some of his "love me, i'm Hawk" act (reminds me of Rick in year 3 and 4) and i consider either the culture is "rebuilt" or it isn't so i don't want to hear that phrase as an excuse for *something that happens on gameday* again, Hawk's done a great job in a lot of ways....but it's time to put W's on the board.

Last edited:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Horse****. There were no arrests this past off-season (Simas was suspended for something that happened prior to the end of last season) vs. the previous summer when both Katoa and Geer got in trouble.

The football team as a whole had its highest GPA in the last ump-teen years.

There are two objective measures right there showing improvement.

And just because a guy leaves the team, doesn't mean they got in trouble. They might just be home sick, think they have a better shot with basketball or want to study rap.

Saying the team has "significant off-field issues" is quite an overstatement.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Who has been arrested in 2009?

arguingOnTheInternet.gif

Hopefully I don't have to take a vacation from AllBuffs after posting that one but maybe if Simple Jack is acceptable then this is too?? Maybe?? If not, can I have a slap on the wrist and not a bancation? Plz?

Simple jack is from a movie, besides, I have an autistic son, so i'm not in anyway demeaning anyone.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

EXAMPLES! I demand numerous examples or I claim Horses**t on your post!:wow:

Several arrests? Who? Guys not getting grades? Who's to blame for that? And besides how many? Two? Out of 115?

Who has a disciplinary/attitude issue? J-Fly? He's gone, Dudette!

Get real or get gone!:rolleyes:

Yes, I stand corrected, there have been no players arrested during Hawkins tenure. Excuse me.

Back