What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does it mean to recruit based on character?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Several Pac-12 coaches were interviewed by Rivals for this and there were some interesting responses.

MacIntyre talked specifically about how they really separate recruits on whether they go forward with them based on the character issue.

Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre said people on his staff look through Twitter profiles to make certain determinations on prospects but he has another valuable tool for evaluations: He asks his current players what some prospects were like when taking visits.

Usually, every recruit minds his Ps and Qs when sitting in the coach’s office. But out at night during an unofficial visit – the time away from the coaches - could be more telling as to whether a kid will get recruited – and even offered.

“When they have him come around for official visits or unofficial visits, I talk to the kids that are with them,” MacIntyre said.

“Most of the time they'll say, ‘Coach, we don't want that guy on our team.’ So that's kind of how I do it. You learn more from the kids than you do adults or coaches. They want their kids to get scholarships. They want them to. They're nice, but you know how it is. You can just ask other kids, and that's how we find out about young people.”

Interesting that MMac puts so much weight in what the kids say...great idea IMO. They're the ones who will have to play with them, room with them etc.

Interesting

Works better when you already have a lot of high character guys on the team, they have a pretty good sense of who is or isn't going to fit.

Another aspect of this is that it may make the current players take more responsibility for guys once they get here. The sense that "I told coach that this guy would be a good addition and he trusted me, time to take a little extra effort and help keep him in line."

Another aspect of this is that it may make the current players take more responsibility for guys once they get here. The sense that "I told coach that this guy would be a good addition and he trusted me, time to take a little extra effort and help keep him in line."
Excellent point!!!!

Easy: it means they have a twinkle in their eye and a good handshake. And a two parent home.

I think it's a small concern that someone with character traits that make him a poor fit will act like someone he's not because he so wants to go to CU over a place where he won't have to act like someone he's not.

It also should be noted the coaches are not recruiting a bunch of Eagle Scouts. It takes something substantial for coaches to completely drop a player.

I doubt that's the case. I read that as saying "most of the time" that we decide to drop a kid, it's because the players say they don't fit.

That's exactly what it means. By the time a kid visits, we are pretty keen on him and we've dropped only a few perhaps per year because of visits. Tad has done exactly the same by the way.

I believe most programs do this. It's worked better under HCMM because he first fixed the leadership and poor culture we had. The team holds winning over all else.
That wasn't always the case.

Back