What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What is it with Colorado's painfully slow starts?

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
It took nearly eight minutes for the Buffs to make their first shot from the field during the game and the minutes that preceded it as well as followed were beyond ugly. When Deleon Brown sank one from long range, it made the score 19-5 in favor of Eastern Washington. Yep, the Buffs let themselves fall behind 19-2 before waking up halfway through the first half. Good god.

Needless to say, I'm sure many among us were looking to the kitchen for the nearest rusty spoon to gouge our eyes out with. But when the buzzer sounded at halftime, Colorado was back in it, trailing 35-32 after 20 minutes of play.

Bogdan Bliznyuk has been a total savage so far...his 21 first half points are...frightening. D White led the Buffs with eight points at halftime. Regardless of what happens tonight, if the Buffs come back and win or end up losing, the court has already been adjourned on this one. Verdict is in.

First of all, in the last non-conference matchup before Utah on January 1, this is how the team plays? A colleague of mine had a nice assessment of the Buffaloes recently at Coors Events Center. We were chatting about the Buffs' chances before the Xavier game and he had said "It just depends on which Colorado Buffaloes basketball team shows up tonight."

The team that showed up tonight will get downright embarrassed by conference play. Tad Boyle acknowledged after the calamitous victory over Fort Hays that his team had turned into a unit that really just barely outrebounds the enemy.

Colorado was up 20-17 in that regard at half...we'll see if it holds up. But rebounding, three point shooting, ball protection...the list goes on in terms of past areas of strength that the Buffs are now showing signs of severe weakness.

The Buffs started the night with a turnover and have five through the first half. Derrick White had said a couple of weeks ago that the loss at Notre Dame was supposed to be a wakeup call. The loss vs. CSU should have really been a wakeup call. The sloppy win vs. Fort Hays should have really really been a wakeup call...and now, despite coming back, this first half of play vs Eastern Washington is in the books. It's done. The second half is a few minutes in.

How many more wake up calls does this team need before things start clicking? Perhaps a few thrashings at the hands of conference opponents will do the trick. I hate taking shots at these guys in their moments of failure but things need to start changing if this team is going to win 20 games. It just sucks watching a mature team that you know should be playing a more sound and fluid game underperform like this.

Aaaaand look at that, as I type this the Buffaloes have taken the lead for the first time in the game. I would have paid to be a fly on the wall in the locker room at halftime...Tad must have been going absolutely ballistic on those guys.

Let's hope the Buffs get it together but just for some discussion here, what, in your eyes, is the Buffaloes' single biggest weakness so far this season? I'm curious.

Biggest weakness is a lack of leadership.

White has got to take over the locker room.

"We can replace Josh Scott's points. I don't know if we can replace his leadership." - Tad Boyle (paraphrased)

@Creebuzz you pretty much nailed it with that quote. But I agree with you both. White can do much more than average 15 points per game for this team. This team is mature and has a solid bench but that spark is definitely missing. I have confidence that they'll figure it out and tighten the bolts, but it's hard to watch a good team perform so badly at times. Hopefully that BS stays in 2016. Onward to Utah.

Back