What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What is the identity of CU football?

three-stooges-football.jpeg

"And here is a picture of coach Toby Neinas's special teams unit from 2013-2015"

This is a painful question for a person who has been a CU fan since the Mid-80's. CU football's identity(back when they won) was a hard nosed, running football team who routinely had great Lineman on both sides of the ball, as well as LBs and RBs. We've went totally away from that identity in the last 15 yrs or so, but it seems like recruiting is going in that direction now. If you want to win games in the PAC-12, you have to be great upfront

This is a painful question for a person who has been a CU fan since the Mid-80's. CU football's identity(back when they won) was a hard nosed, running football team who routinely had great Lineman on both sides of the ball, as well as LBs and RBs. We've went totally away from that identity in the last 15 yrs or so, but it seems like recruiting is going in that direction now. If you want to win games in the PAC-12, you have to be great upfront
tumblr_mo9hg1GEKh1rl6oi7o1_500.gif

You and I are coming from the same place. If I build a team, I start from the nose and center. But, I’m archaic.

Considering that I'm talking about college football where I'm not setting free agency and draft priorities along with a cap budget by position, if I'm building a team then I get the best player I can at every position as I fill my roster needs.

Considering that I'm talking about college football where I'm not setting free agency and draft priorities along with a cap budget by position, if I'm building a team then I get the best player I can at every position as I fill my roster needs.
I agree. But, where I put my top resources matters. I don’t want to rehash it for the millionth time, but Line depth has hurt MM. Our identity there is at the hart of the whole question. Are we 300# physical drive blockers(Utah, Stanford)or 285# guys covering wide splits with athleticism(WSU, Oregon). I think the target is the latter, but the reality has been they put whom ever was the least broken in.

Tex Schramm

After 2016, I would have pointed to a team based on suffocating defense. Then the Pepsi stopped flowing.

This thread makes me sad. I would guess this board is where some of the biggest fans hang out but there seems to be little optimism expressed here.

Buffs have **** the bed way too much over the past decade for there to be any real optimism. Sucker punched last season by the "best o-line in a decade".

Buffs have **** the bed way too much over the past decade for there to be any real optimism. Sucker punched last season by the "best o-line in a decade".
ESPN published their preseason Power Rankings. They have the Buffs ranked 79th in the nation (11th in the Pac 12) with a predicted record of 4-8. I don't put a lot of stock in preseason stuff but it does indicate a lack of confidence in CU football in some quarters.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

I think it if pretty obvious that CU does not really have an "identity" on either offense or defense.

ESPN published their preseason Power Rankings. They have the Buffs ranked 79th in the nation (11th in the Pac 12) with a predicted record of 4-8. I don't put a lot of stock in preseason stuff but it does indicate a lack of confidence in CU football in some quarters.

I think it if pretty obvious that CU does not really have an "identity" on either offense or defense.
Who cares what ESPN thinks.

Last year was so important to remain as a contending and respected team and I blame Mac for not following through on a more productive season, shame on him! I would agree that beyond producing NFL Corners, we need to establish and maintain something!

As for this year, I think we will more than prove this way to early rating look foolish. What is up with the boner over CAL??? #27, 5th best team in the Pac 12 and beating Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, and the Buffs. No way, what did I not see last year at that game?

Last year was so important to remain as a contending and respected team and I blame Mac for not following through on a more productive season, shame on him! I would agree that beyond producing NFL Corners, we need to establish and maintain something!

As for this year, I think we will more than prove this way to early rating look foolish. What is up with the boner over CAL??? #27, 5th best team in the Pac 12 and beating Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, and the Buffs. No way, what did I not see last year at that game?

Really too early to know how things will shake out in the PAC12 - in the South Arizona, UCLA and ASU all have new coaches and I will be interested in how the Herm Edwards experiment works out in Tempe. CU needs to show they can win on the road - that has been a problem in recent years.

From ESPN about the FPI
What goes into FPI?
Each team’s FPI rating is composed of a predicted offensive, defensive and special teams component. These ratings represent the number of points each unit is expected to contribute to the team's net scoring margin on a neutral field against an average FBS opponent.
In the preseason, these components are made up entirely of data from previous seasons, such as returning starters, past performance, recruiting rankings and coaching tenure (more on the preseason component below). That information allows FPI to make predictions (and make determinations on the strength of a team’s opponents) beginning in Week 1, and then it declines in weight as the season progresses. It is important to note that prior seasons’ information never completely disappears, because it has been proved to help with prediction accuracy even at the end of a season. Vegas similarly includes priors when setting its lines.

The FPI formula looks at 4 years of performance, returning starters, recruiting rankings, and if there's a new coach regresses some of those values to the mean.

CU looks like **** to FPI because it's been **** for all but 2016 on the field, and pretty much the same in recruiting rankings.

When does Phil Steele's magazine come out? He generally been pretty good and judging season performance. If I remember correctly, he was one of the few who thought we'd exceed expectations in 2016.

Back