What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What the Big 12 Means To Hoops

For me, it means I will get to see the WBB team play in person every season. I didn't attend one Pac 12 away game. I used to attend lots of Big 8 and 12 away games. I can do that from here as long as I am able to drive long distances.

If not Iowa State, I can go to Kansas and Kansas State. JR has made the WBB team relevant and the Big 12 has some excellent WBB's programs.

Sorry Oklahoma won't be there but thrilled that Kim Mulkey is gone. **** Baylor

Hey Buffgal, while I whine like a petulant child about this latest development, please know that I'm happy the Buffs will be closer to you and you'll get to see them play in person more. I'm mos def looking forward to the Buffs running it back next season, and gotta say Sherrod was probably my favorite player of either team last year.

Imagine if UA comes and we've got to deal with both "U of A!" and "Rock Chalk!" at the Keg without much of a mental health break in between.

Absolute torture. Glorious when we beat them, though.

Meh, I always liked UofA before we joined the Pac, and there has been no hate there since. I didn't like losing to them, especially in Boulder, but whatever. To me they're a great example of what a public school hoops program not in a recruiting hotbed can be.

I'm not buying this "football has to be healthy" narrative anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Prime is here and football seems to be turning it around, but so what? Give MBB, WBB, and WV a bump in instituional support at a fraction of the cost of football and all 3 programs together would thrive nationally, and I would bet we'd see a healthy ROI from it, i.e. they wouldn't need to be subsidized by football money. Hell from what I know MBB already operates in the black and I can count on 2 hands how many times they've made the dance in my lifetime. Especially with WBB and WV, sell the damn programs to girls and their families around the front range in an attempt to boost attendance. Boulder is the perfect place for this. It could happen, it could work. Maybe they're already doing this and I'm ignorant here, but it sure hasn't seemed like it over the years.

Meh, I always liked UofA before we joined the Pac, and there has been no hate there since. I didn't like losing to them, especially in Boulder, but whatever. To me they're a great example of what a public school hoops program not in a recruiting hotbed can be.

I'm not buying this "football has to be healthy" narrative anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Prime is here and football seems to be turning it around, but so what? Give MBB, WBB, and WV a bump in instituional support at a fraction of the cost of football and all 3 programs together would thrive nationally, and I would bet we'd see a healthy ROI from it, i.e. they wouldn't need to be subsidized by football money. Hell from what I know MBB already operates in the black and I can count on 2 hands how many times they've made the dance in my lifetime. Especially with WBB and WV, sell the damn programs to girls and their families around the front range in an attempt to boost attendance. Boulder is the perfect place for this. It could happen, it could work. Maybe they're already doing this and I'm ignorant here, but it sure hasn't seemed like it over the years.
MBB, WBB and VB could be revenue neutral as a group while providing a ton of energy and fun for students, fans and boosters. They also can impact applications in a big way (hoops saved Gonzaga from closing its doors). So, yes.

MBB, WBB and VB could be revenue neutral as a group while providing a ton of energy and fun for students, fans and boosters. They also can impact applications in a big way (hoops saved Gonzaga from closing its doors). So, yes.

I'm just ranting, nothing to see here.

Pac-12 without USC or UCLA is doomed. I think Ore is tending down. ASU sucks and outside of Bobby f**** Hurley's flukey end to last season, he'll be fired this year. They'll turn into a dumpster. Wash is gonezo. So that leaves UA as the only other decent team there. It's going to turn into the MW and be a 1-bid (maybe 2) conference each year. For all the east coast bias i hated each year for playing games starting on the east coast at midnight, it's going to continue to push this league into the backwaters of bball and continue to hamper its members abilities to get at-large bids - just like the MWC.

I also think in terms of pre-conference scheduling we are in a much better spot. We can afford to play buttercups in November/December and not have to expect to go 10-8 or better to get noticed by east coast snobs. As long as we can notch wins against Baylor, Kansas, (now K-State?), and go .500 i think we have a MUCH better shot at getting an at-large bid. Not to mention our games will be televised during while the sun is still out.

As long as we can notch wins against Baylor, Kansas, (now K-State?), and go .500 i think we have a MUCH better shot at getting an at-large bid. Not to mention our games will be televised during while the sun is still out.
So all we have to do is beat two of the last three national champions and a team that was in the Elite 8 last year and we'll dance?

Cool Cool Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

OMG I forgot about the officiating! No more HS JV refs that can't consistently call a game from start to finish.
One of my last memories of Big 12 refs, though, was a KSU game at the Keg with so many ticky tack fouls called that the game must have lasted 3 1/2 hours. Teams had to go DEEP into their benches.

Aren't we in the running for two highly regarded 4*s in Texas as we speak? CU's recruiting is very obviously trending upwards, I am not as worried as you are

One of my last memories of Big 12 refs, though, was a KSU game at the Keg with so many ticky tack fouls called that the game must have lasted 3 1/2 hours. Teams had to go DEEP into their benches.
P12 was consistently bad. I'm more than happy to try something else. And I don't care if you call ticky tack fouls, but call it from the start, reinforce it during TO and stoppage with the players and coaches, and call it the rest of the game. If the teams don't adjust, that's on them. What i do mind is when refs start the game one way and change it up after halftime.

Watched a lot of B12 basketball last year and thought B12 refs were noticeably better.

Just buckle up and see where the ride takes you.

And this was the year before we won the P12 tourney:

1690484188435.png

P12 was consistently bad. I'm more than happy to try something else. And I don't care if you call ticky tack fouls, but call it from the start, reinforce it during TO and stoppage with the players and coaches, and call it the rest of the game. If the teams don't adjust, that's on them. What i do mind is when refs start the game one way and change it up after halftime.

Watched a lot of B12 basketball last year and thought B12 refs were noticeably better.
We're going from "unbelievably incompetent" to "unbelievably corrupt". It's an upgrade because at least we know we're getting ****ed heading into the game, but it's not exactly something to be happy about.

We're going from "unbelievably incompetent" to "unbelievably corrupt". It's an upgrade because at least we know we're getting ****ed heading into the game, but it's not exactly something to be happy about.
You mean "unbelievably incompetent" and "unbelievably corrupt" P12

But Yormark sees an entry point into New York City. He sees a dominant basketball conference and big-time events at Madison Square Garden.

OK, it might be worth all of the mouth breathers we have to deal with and the apparent death blow to CU hoops if this happens and the Beakers no longer get homecourt advantage for every effing tournament. CRY BEAKERS! CRY!

I respect Goose's opinions on hoops, but I'm. Not currently seeing it the same way.

I see the overall hoops competition improving with the move to the XII. Better opponents means more coverage and that should increase our brand.

Some if the additional money should flow down to the bb team. That can only help.

I don't see the recruiting changing.
  • CO doesn't produce bb recruits -- that doesn't change whether we're in the XII or PAC
  • The Pac appears to be on a track to no longer be considered one of the Big 6. This seemingly would put CU in play for more recruits from CA and WA, especially if UW, Cal and Stanford don't find a B6 landing spot
  • Sanders has shown in football that geography isn't important when you have an effective national strategy. I'm not suggesting Boyle can immediately do that as effectively, but I'd like to think he can learn from his colleague.
Not sure I buy this, I’m as big of Tad supporter as there is but Sander’s national recruiting and Tad national recruiting are two completely different things. Sanders is a once in a generation recruiting/personality anomaly. HS kids care about having their family and friends see them in person if they’re not going to a blue blood school. So all Tad has to do is transform CU into a blue blood BB school or become a generational titan in the hoops world in the next 12 months then national recurring won’t be an issue.

OK, it might be worth all of the mouth breathers we have to deal with and the apparent death blow to CU hoops if this happens and the Beakers no longer get homecourt advantage for every effing tournament. CRY BEAKERS! CRY!

Goose, sometimes I feel like you're only one who understands me.

No one is comparing Tad's recruiting to Coach Prime but I still have no idea how we landed Cody Williams. Cody Williams is a Travis Hunter tier basketball recruit.

No one is comparing Tad's recruiting to Coach Prime but I still have no idea how we landed Cody Williams. Cody Williams is a Travis Hunter tier basketball recruit.

His recruiting has been steadily improving for several years now

Calming down and starting to get used to the new reality, if CU actually decides to support the program on a higher level Big 12 Hoops could be really good. SoS alone should go up.

We're actually a respectable 27-39 all time at home against KU.

Regarding the road record, if any of us gets to be there for a win it will be *ahem* notable.

I would have never guessed that our home record is that good against KU. I'm guessing quite a few of those wins came prior to about the mid 70s

Back