What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Davis Webb (NOTHING - Cal Bound)

So, from what I understand he was in Berkley again this past weekend. I assume to take in the Spring Game. Not sure if that is true. I watched the game on the PAC 12 Network. CAL has a ton of depth and they looked good overall. They were able to play a true spring game due to their depth. Sonny has done a nice job of bringing them back into contention.

taking it up a notch: Chris Beard accepts the head coaching job at UNLV 3 weeks ago, then takes the T Tech job today.Why should he care about UNLV or their people and team? No wonder where the players learn this stuff. I hope the guy falls on his face.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/...ach-chris-beard-leaving-for-texas-tech-041516
Looks like my uncle was more than right about those sweet-talkin' Southern boys, eh?
They love ya up and say all the right things until their shiv is firmly in your back!

Looks like my uncle was more than right about those sweet-talkin' Southern boys, eh?
They love ya up and say all the right things until their shiv is firmly in your back!
Your uncle must have been in the Mississippi correctional system. The shiv didn't go in his back btw.

http://247sports.com/Article/College-football-QB-transfer-Davis-Webb-exploring-options-44896647

“It was a good visit,” Webb told 247Sports.

“I’m still committed to Colorado. I love them,” Webb added. “But I only get one shot at this thing. I’m not like most grad transfers who get two years. I have six months of college football, and I want to make sure it’s the spot for me. That’s why I took another visit.”

Webb said he plans to make a final decision “soon” but maintained he’s still committed to Colorado. The visits to California, and any additional visits he takes, are about making sure Colorado is the ideal destination.

“I’m trying to make sure it’s the perfect fit,” Webb said. “In the situation I’m in, I had the displeasure of not being able to play much last year after playing a pretty good amount the first two years, so you could basically say last year was a waste of my eligibility because I didn’t get to redshirt. So I have six months to play the best game in the world. I want to make sure it’s where I’m supposed to be.”

http://247sports.com/Article/College-football-QB-transfer-Davis-Webb-exploring-options-44896647

“It was a good visit,” Webb told 247Sports.

“I’m still committed to Colorado. I love them,” Webb added. “But I only get one shot at this thing. I’m not like most grad transfers who get two years. I have six months of college football, and I want to make sure it’s the spot for me. That’s why I took another visit.”

Webb said he plans to make a final decision “soon” but maintained he’s still committed to Colorado. The visits to California, and any additional visits he takes, are about making sure Colorado is the ideal destination.

“I’m trying to make sure it’s the perfect fit,” Webb said. “In the situation I’m in, I had the displeasure of not being able to play much last year after playing a pretty good amount the first two years, so you could basically say last year was a waste of my eligibility because I didn’t get to redshirt. So I have six months to play the best game in the world. I want to make sure it’s where I’m supposed to be.”
Encouraging, I think. Isn't it? I mean, tell me it's encouraging. I need to be encouraged.

It answers some things but I still wonder why he suddenly completely changed his tune and has basically ignored our existence since taking the Cal visit.

Makes me think that Chev and HCMM's comments weren't fluff or trying to put pressure on him at least.

Webb thinking he might have an easier time starting at Cal or Auburn is laughable.

Auburn isn't realistically a part of this race IMO.

Comes down to CU or Cal. Given what happened at QB at Cal's spring game... I would say all things are about equal at this time.

It answers some things but I still wonder why he suddenly completely changed his tune and has basically ignored our existence since taking the Cal visit.
Probably got a call from Cal and they did a sell job on him to at least come check it out. Their coaches probably used Goff, no clear starter, and Sefo coming back as a 3 year starter to at least give him pause about his decision. I honestly don't think we need to read into it any more than this.

Probably got a call from Cal and they did a sell job on him to at least come check it out. Their coaches probably used Goff, no clear starter, and Sefo coming back as a 3 year starter to at least give him pause about his decision. I honestly don't think we need to read into it any more than this.

Still not ruling out the possibility that Kingsbury is pissed about Chev recruiting in his backyard and may have gotten in his QB's ear about Cal.

Still not ruling out the possibility that Kingsbury is pissed about Chev recruiting in his backyard and may have gotten in his QB's ear about Cal.
Kingsbury seems knowledgeable about recruiting and knows coaches will use their relationships wherever they go. Sounds like a stretch IMO. Chev seemed to stay away from TTU targets and commits before signing day too.

Th
Kingsbury seems knowledgeable about recruiting and knows coaches will use their relationships wherever they go. Sounds like a stretch IMO. Chev seemed to stay away from TTU targets and commits before signing day too.
This assumes the kid listens to the guy who benched him and forced him onto this road show. I am too cynical to see that as probable.

Th
This assumes the kid listens to the guy who benched him and forced him onto this road show. I am too cynical to see that as probable.
Kliff is the one who told him to transfer and spoke very highly of him on his exit. He even said, 'transfer, go to the NFL, and one day come back and either coach with me or against me.' Think he highly values Kliff's opinion.

Well, I don't know for sure, but it's probably a safe guess that Cal has way more depth at QB than we do. If Webb can't beat out Sefo, a RS freshman and a benchsitting senior, no way he beats out the top 2-3 Cal QBs.

Last edited:
Kliff is the one who told him to transfer and spoke very highly of him on his exit. He even said, 'transfer, go to the NFL, and one day come back and either coach with me or against me.' Think he highly values Kliff's opinion.

Although from the new 247s interview it does sound like Webb is kind of peeved that he wasn't redshirted in 2015 so that he'd have 2 years of eligibility wherever he transferred. That said, I still think KK definitely has his ear in a big way.

“Both coaching staffs at both of the schools and all the schools know where my head is at, especially Texas Tech,” Webb said. “I’m committed to Colorado right now and trying to do what’s best for me.”

Sounds like "I really love you baby, but I think we should date other people".

Well, I don't know for sure, but it's probably a safe guess that Cal has way more depth at QB than we do. If Webb can't beat out Sefo, a RS freshman and a benchsitting senior, no way he beats out the top 2-3 Cal QBs.

I see this assumption a lot of places on this board, but I wanted to check if it was true. Here's what Cal has recruited since 2012 at QB:
  • 2012:
    • Zach Kline (4 star, 6.0 RR)
  • 2013:
    • Jared Goff (gone)
  • 2014:
    • Chase Forrest (2 star, 5.4 RR)
    • Luke Rubenzer (3 star, 5.7 RR)
  • 2015:
    • Ross Bowers (3 star, 5.7 RR)
  • 2016 (incoming):
    • Max Gilliam (4 star, 5.8 RR)
    • Victor Viramontes (3 star, 5.7 RR)
The current Cal depth chart lists Bowers, Forrest, Kline, Gilliam, Rubenzer as co-number 1s.

Over that same timeframe, CU has recruited:
  • 2013:
    • Sefo Liufau (3 star, 5.7 RR)
    • Jordan Gehrke (NR)
  • 2014:
    • Cade Apsay (gone)
  • 2015:
    • Steven Montez (3 star, 5.5 RR)
  • 2016 (incoming):
  • Sam Noyer (3 star, 5.6 RR)
As we know, CU's depth chart lists Gehrke, then Montez, then a walk-on.

So, I'd say it's pretty clear that there's a bigger hole and less competition on CU's roster than Cal's, but the wildcard is Sefo. He has started more games than the rest of the 9 guys mentioned above combined, but there is no guarantee he'll be able to perform at the same level if he even makes it back for the fall.

Back