What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would you build at CU if you won the half billion $ powerball?

I was thinking about how cool it would be to infuse the Colorado brewery culture into the stadium. Along the South side of the stadium they could remove all of the office space and renovate the area with updated bathrooms, concession stands and meeting areas with tables and then put up a bunch of see through garage doors that could open up for the nice days and close for the cold games. Then that area could be used for tailgating before the games and even opened up and gated off across the street.

Sound.
System.
Upgrade.

I'd also ensure the band never had to fight for money anymore.

I’ve not seen much posted on AB about the CUMB’s financial battles. What can you tell me about that fight?

I'd want to get involved with the Boulder Creek projects. Is there a way to connect Stadium Drive to Hillside Drive between Folsom Ave and 17th Street between the buildings and the creek?

What can we do with bridges crossing the creek to the paths there while improving lighting/ security?

Can a field sports complex & stadium be built where the old football practice fields are located, turning that into the primary tailgating area on football game days?

Also, what can be done up at Kit to have a great lacrosse stadium on the hillside facing Hwy 36 that would add parking for both LAX and basketball?

Whatever I put in, I better get a hell of a return on. I didn’t become a hundred millionaire by giving money away. I spent two dollars and got hundreds of millions. Suck it.

If only. :(

I would say that over time, an endowment would be the best way to spend a big chunk of change. I’d do that. In honor of the Duke brothers, one dollar.

I’ve not seen much posted on AB about the CUMB’s financial battles. What can you tell me about that fight?
A number of things. Their budget is so tight, they had to have a fund raiser last year by the Silver Buffs Alumni Association (GBMB Alumni) to by new hats - they do not have the money to replace them as they wear out.

For both the championship game and the bowl game last year, the GBMB director had to fight with the athletics department to bring the entire band. They wanted to bring a little pep band. The band has no budget to fund travel on their own.

Instruments (the big ones supplied by the school) are not in very good shape - save the drums which were replaced a few years ago.

Things of that nature, problems big school don't seem to have.

I can go in to a lot more details if you want.

Sounds like a ****ty situation. I'd think they should be able to figure out some ways to help that.

A number of things. Their budget is so tight, they had to have a fund raiser last year by the Silver Buffs Alumni Association (GBMB Alumni) to by new hats - they do not have the money to replace them as they wear out.

For both the championship game and the bowl game last year, the GBMB director had to fight with the athletics department to bring the entire band. They wanted to bring a little pep band. The band has no budget to fund travel on their own.

Instruments (the big ones supplied by the school) are not in very good shape - save the drums which were replaced a few years ago.

Things of that nature, problems big school don't seem to have.

I can go in to a lot more details if you want.
That's lame. More people should know about this.

I'm not sure why this isn't funded outside of the AD.

Sure, I like having a good marching band and see the value to the game day experience.

But if Rick George asked me whether he should spend his last $50k in his budget on upgrading a football assistant or if he should spend it on travel/instrument/uniform upgrades for the marching band... I'm telling him to spend it on the football staff and I wouldn't have to spend more than a split second thinking about it.

Marching band has to figure out how to raise money and maybe find events where it can make money.

Sure, I like having a good marching band and see the value to the game day experience.

But if Rick George asked me whether he should spend his last $50k in his budget on upgrading a football assistant or if he should spend it on travel/instrument/uniform upgrades for the marching band... I'm telling him to spend it on the football staff and I wouldn't have to spend more than a split second thinking about it.

Marching band has to figure out how to raise money and maybe find events where it can make money.
That's more or less my thinking on it.

I take the band to be part of the atmosphere for the football games, and not a trivial portion of it. The AD should budget to bring them to the bowl games.

It's a point of pride that I've never purchased a lottery ticket in my life. I used to cynically view lotteries as a voluntary tax, but lost my cynicism after multiple reports of how this voluntary tax is mostly paid by the poorest segment of our society.

But, to have fun with the hypothetical -- I'd build a new hoops arena with a full Tuscan vernacular style on the exterior, approximately the same seating capacity inside, but add a set of luxury suites. And design the venue to be dual-purposed as a concert venue and a future hockey rink. And I want it where the visiting teams from sea level have to climb a long set of stairs to get their locker rooms.

Exactly how would you suggest the marching band "make money"? We aren't talking $3 million, but we also aren't talking about having a bake sale to fund a 2 day trip to CA, either. If you want the pageantry / tradition / things that make college football what it is, someone has to pay for it. I promise it's not a large % of their budget.

I take the band to be part of the atmosphere for the football games, and not a trivial portion of it. The AD should budget to bring them to the bowl games.

Even NFL teams are starting to have their own bands. It adds to the atmosphere.

It's a point of pride that I've never purchased a lottery ticket in my life. I used to cynically view lotteries as a voluntary tax, but lost my cynicism after multiple reports of how this voluntary tax is mostly paid by the poorest segment of our society.

But, to have fun with the hypothetical -- I'd build a new hoops arena with a full Tuscan vernacular style on the exterior, approximately the same seating capacity inside, but add a set of luxury suites. And design the venue to be dual-purposed as a concert venue and a future hockey rink. And I want it where the visiting teams from sea level have to climb a long set of stairs to get their locker rooms.
I bought one for my wife this past week. It was my first time. It felt stupid and kinda dirty.

Exactly how would you suggest the marching band "make money"? We aren't talking $3 million, but we also aren't talking about having a bake sale to fund a 2 day trip to CA, either. If you want the pageantry / tradition / things that make college football what it is, someone has to pay for it. I promise it's not a large % of their budget.
I don't know. You don't think that it could do events like the rodeo or whatever? Maybe do a spring fundraiser for spirit squads where they perform at Folsom with Cheer, Dance, Chip & Ralphie? Or a Xmas special at the performing arts center? If we're not talking about much money, you'd think they could pull off some stuff like that.

Last edited:
I don't know. You don't think that it could do events like the rodeo or whatever? Maybe do a spring fundraiser for spirit squads where they perform at Folsom with Cheer, Dance, Chip & Ralphie? Or a Xmas special at the performing arts center? If we're not talking about much money, you'd think they could pull off some stuff like that.
It would cost way more to move them to an event like that than they'd ever make. How much do you suppose it costs to move 250 students, instruments, etc? They can't exactly jump on RTD . . .

It's part of the game experience, the athletic department makes money due in part to the atmosphere they develop.

I seriously doubt U$C, Washington, or Oregon's bands run on a shoestring budget.

It would cost way more to move them to an event like that than they'd ever make. How much do you suppose it costs to move 250 students, instruments, etc? They can't exactly jump on RTD . . .

It's part of the game experience, the athletic department makes money due in part to the atmosphere they develop.

I seriously doubt U$C, Washington, or Oregon's bands run on a shoestring budget.
Maybe the answer is to do what U of Idaho did (and I'm sure others). Add a student fee to fund spirit squads. https://www.uidaho.edu/~/media/UIda... Materials/FY16-MarchingBand-IncreaseReq.ashx

I have always assumed a part of my season ticket price is used to cover the expense of the spirit teams, ralphie, and the GBMB. Maybe that’s not a safe assumption.

It sounds as if the band isn’t fully funded from ticket sales to events where they perform.

There must be a good number of GBMB alum. Is the expectation that any shortfall for things like uniforms, new instruments, and bowl travel is covered from Band benefactors?

Are there specific funds within the AD or external (kick starter) where donors are able to direct charitable contributions toward the benefit of the GBMB?

The band is such an integral part of the game day experience that I just hate to hear that it’s skimping on instruments, gear, and travel.

As far as fundraisers - it would be novel if a Boulder microbrewer created a special batch that is labeled in honor of the band, with a portion of the proceeds supporting the cause.

I have always assumed a part of my season ticket price is used to cover the expense of the spirit teams, ralphie, and the GBMB. Maybe that’s not a safe assumption.

It sounds as if the band isn’t fully funded from ticket sales to events where they perform.

There must be a good number of GBMB alum. Is the expectation that any shortfall for things like uniforms, new instruments, and bowl travel is covered from Band benefactors?

Are there specific funds within the AD or external (kick starter) where donors are able to direct charitable contributions toward the benefit of the GBMB?

The band is such an integral part of the game day experience that I just hate to hear that it’s skimping on instruments, gear, and travel.

As far as fundraisers - it would be novel if a Boulder microbrewer created a special batch that is labeled in honor of the band, with a portion of the proceeds supporting the cause.
There are several source of funding, including the band members themselves. They pay a fee that covers cleaning of the uniform, etc. The music department covers a lot of the funding for staff, etc.
The athletic department does provide a great deal of funding. I'm not implying that they don't - they just don't cover everything they should, IMHO. Big time programs don't stick it to their support groups they way we do.

As for the alumni, yes there are many of us. Several on this board. The Silver Buffs are a relatively new affinity group set up through the main CU alumni association. They are attempting to be a lot more proactive as a group than the alumni were previously. It is a process, and not always a straight forward one.

I will gladly post on here any time there is a fund raising event - we can use any help we can get.

As for external entities, the CU Foundation is always a viable option, which as far as I know is still tax deductible. You can donate to several different funds, such as the one we had last year for the hats (Save the Hats fund). You can even start a scholarship if you are so inclined. We did.

Cause people in Florida buy lots of tickets:
state-lottery-revenue-per-capita-map.png

I'm trying to find the same data, but not on a per capita basis. I had to go off of population data. Florida has the fourth highest population. Only NY and CA spend more total on lottery tickets. So, you'd expect most winners to come from these states.

StatePopulation RankingPopulation Census Data: 2013 Total lottery spend ($Millions)
California138,332,521 | 5,396
Texas226,448,193 | 4,056
New York319,651,127 | 7,820
Florida419,552,860 | 5,116
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not surprised to see Oregon in a darker shade. These guys love their video poker.

Edit: this is awesome since lottery dollars help pay my salary. I’m not complaining just a weird cultural shift from Colorado

I’d establish a scholarship for married men and women with families. I would definitely do that.

Here was the Save the Hats thing I was talking about. That campaign is over, but an example of what we are doing.

There's even a cameo by @RumblinBuff !

I don’t remember seeing that video before on Allbuffs. I’d be down for $50 to adopt a hat. Next time one of these campaigns roll out, don’t forget to get the word out.

Here was the Save the Hats thing I was talking about. That campaign is over, but an example of what we are doing.

There's even a cameo by @RumblinBuff !

As others said, please go ahead an utilize Allbuffs for promoting any fundraising efforts that are going on. Many of the most passionate fans and AB members were in GBMB. Don't be shy about leveraging that.

Back