What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would you guys think of Mike Nolan at CU?

I'm sure Hawkins will commit for another 10 years.

That part is highly overrated. Win games and that kind of stuff becomes a lot less important.

He has been an NFL guy for a long time as a head coach and mostly as a defensive coordinator. And since he has coached in Denver (twice) as well as San Fran, Baltimore, Washington DC, New York (Jets & Giants) and Miami... he is known from coast to coast. From a college standpoint, it's been since 1986 but he coached in 3 of our important recruiting states at LSU, Rice and Stanford.

He's currently 51 years old and working as a defensive coordinator for the Dolphins. He's known as one of the gurus of the 34 defense (which CU runs a version of and has recruited to). His coaching tree ties into, among others, Brian Billick, Al Groh, and particularly Dan Reeves. On a personal level, he's a devout catholic, has 4 kids, and is known as a very strong family man.

Thoughts on Nolan as our next head coach?

Anyone but Hawkins

Who's talking about Harbaugh?

The point is Harbaugh is that type of coach. He has no loyalties to Stanford and he's over there kicking ass and taking names. I want that, even if it's only for a few years. It's a lot easier to recruit when your team wins.

I'm sure Hawkins will commit for another 10 years.

That part is highly overrated. Win games and that kind of stuff becomes a lot less important.
I guess rino. I just see it as something that would be important to the university. We aren't a stepping stone school. At least not imo.

The point is Harbaugh is that type of coach. He has no loyalties to Stanford and he's over there kicking ass and taking names. I want that, even if it's only for a few years. It's a lot easier to recruit when your team wins.
I don't know much about Harbaugh. I do know a little about Nolan. Everything about him says he desperate for another NFL HC gig. But that's jmo.

He's an NFL Defensive Coordinator. That trumps college coordinator experience, IMO.

The difference is that you have to recruit players into your system as well as coach around talent gaps and maturity on a college team.

In the NFL you fire guys that cant cut it and just draft new ones or hire FAs.

It's easier to acquire talent in the NFL.

The point is Stanford knew very well that if an NFL job opened up or the Michigan job if the came up, but they went out and hired the best guy for the job.

If Nolan only had two prior coaching gigs before coming to CU, I'd see things differently. Like I said before, every coach is different. I don't see Nolan staying with CU for longer than two seasons.

I just see him showing CU no loyalty. I certainly don't want to go through every offseason worrying about where our HC will end up at. I think it's a valid argument.

Things like that can hurt recruiting. You don't think other recruiters will be telling our recruits that he's not going to be there in two years. Why commit to a coach who doesn't show you the same kind of commitment?

What I was saying, of course, assumes Nolan would be interested, which we don't know. But if he were interested, then yes he would have to demonstrate a willingness to stay for awhile, in which case what's not to like?

There aren't many Joe Paternos left anymore, if any. CU is not a top-flight job, despite what some here want to believe. That means CU will have to take some risks to be successful. There are no "perfect" hires out there, and talent will always attract interest from others. If no one else wants your coach, it means your coach sucks.

valdez,

I think that it's a good point that you want to make sure that a candidate is committed to the job. As much as it can, that would come out in an interview. And I've never heard of Nolan's integrity being questioned, so I'm sure that if he took the job he would be 100% devoted to it.

I could definitely get behind it if we hired him, though. He's a great coach and he would make national headlines for us (which we also need).

Passing on a guy because you think he might have designs on a bigger & better job is a sure fire way to hire a loser. You hire the guy who will win games. Period. Who knows, maybe he comes in here, wins some games, gets a nice fat contract, and decides that coaching at CU is a pretty good gig. There's no way to predict what somebody is going to do 5-10 years down the road, so don't even try.

I like Nolan's defenses. I think he's a bright guy with a lot of football knowledge. If he can recruit and bring in decent assistants, I'm 100% in favor of hiring him.

What I was saying, of course, assumes Nolan would be interested, which we don't know. But if he were interested, then yes he would have to demonstrate a willingness to stay for awhile, in which case what's not to like?

There aren't many Joe Paternos left anymore, if any. CU is not a top-flight job, despite what some here want to believe. That means CU will have to take some risks to be successful. There are no "perfect" hires out there, and talent will always attract interest from others. If no one else wants your coach, it means your coach sucks.

Good points.

do not want.

i think it's pretty evident that college coaches have a hard time transitioning to the nfl and nfl coaches have an equally hard time transitioning to college. mike nolan seems like the kind of guy who would have a hard time transitioning to college. he doesn't look like he has the type of personality that would be a good recruiter and one of the big reasons he was fired from the broncos was that he stubbornly refused to make any adjustments to his defense once offenses figured out how to exploit it. which is why the broncos defense was so good in the early part of the season and so bad in the end

I think that it's a good point that you want to make sure that a candidate is committed to the job. As much as it can, that would come out in an interview. And I've never heard of Nolan's integrity being questioned, so I'm sure that if he took the job he would be 100% devoted to it.
I'm not trying to say Nolan is the next Neuheisel. I just see him as a guy who wants to honor his fathers legacy, and imitate that. As a NFL HC. I am not trying to question his integrity.

do not want.

i think it's pretty evident that college coaches have a hard time transitioning to the nfl and nfl coaches have an equally hard time transitioning to college. mike nolan seems like the kind of guy who would have a hard time transitioning to college. he doesn't look like he has the type of personality that would be a good recruiter and one of the big reasons he was fired from the broncos was that he stubbornly refused to make any adjustments to his defense once offenses figured out how to exploit it. which is why the broncos defense was so good in the early part of the season and so bad in the end

Panda, not going to argue. Just wanted to clarify that he was not fired from the Broncos. He resigned. My understanding is that it had a lot to do with him having issues with the offensive play calling going away from what had worked, becoming pass happy, and causing his defense to wear down by being on the field too much. It's no accident he went to Miami with their balanced attack. And the Broncos have slipped from the #7 defense last year to #19 this year (Dolphins are #7, up from #13).

Passing on a guy because you think he might have designs on a bigger & better job is a sure fire way to hire a loser. You hire the guy who will win games. Period. Who knows, maybe he comes in here, wins some games, gets a nice fat contract, and decides that coaching at CU is a pretty good gig. There's no way to predict what somebody is going to do 5-10 years down the road, so don't even try.

I like Nolan's defenses. I think he's a bright guy with a lot of football knowledge. If he can recruit and bring in decent assistants, I'm 100% in favor of hiring him.

^^^^This.

Guys that are winners have winners on their staff usually too. So when they do leave you do have a decent pool of candidates that could step in. We were all very intrigued when rumors of Shanny taking the job came out. Sure, he'd leave in 2 years or 3 but we'd have had a great coach in the interim.

Yet somehow we hired the worst of the winners when our last winner retired.

CU has a horrid history of hiring head coaches.

The man wears a suit on the sideline, alot of things these days are about how you present yourself. He looks no nonsense to me, Id say hell yes but im sure Ill get a rebuttal. Rather have Gruden, which is impossible, but this guy would be good. Be a good representative of CU.

I'm not trying to say Nolan is the next Neuheisel. I just see him as a guy who wants to honor his fathers legacy, and imitate that. As a NFL HC. I am not trying to question his integrity.

I didn't think so. I was just stressing that he's shown to be a guy who is pretty serious about his job.

Wouldn't it be great to see the Denver media jumping on the Buff bandwagon as McDaniels continues to fail and his defense gets worse and worse... while Nolan (who had been so successful under Reeves and in his 1 year under McD) came to Boulder and quickly built a championship caliber team? That's my dream, at least. There are a number of coaching candidates I like for CU, though.

P.S. And Nolan definitely doesn't want his stint with the Niners to define his NFL HC career. When you pick a QB #1 and miss, you know it's going to end badly.

I see your point, but you can't rule out every NFL coach. They're all different.

True, but I think the number of NFL guys that succeed in the college ranks is slim. Which is why I'd prefer to go the major college program route if possible. But, if Nolan or any other NFL coach looked like the best candidate, go for it.

I just see him showing CU no loyalty. I certainly don't want to go through every offseason worrying about where our HC will end up at. I think it's a valid argument.

Sounds like the Bzdelik situation all over again...

Nolan is a great DC and not a terrible head coach. But I'd like somebody more current in the college game and less likely to have one eye on the NFL job postings the entire time he's in Boulder....

True, but I think the number of NFL guys that succeed in the college ranks is slim. Which is why I'd prefer to go the major college program route if possible. But, if Nolan or any other NFL coach looked like the best candidate, go for it.

I agree with you on the NFL to College thing. Guys like Groh, Sherman, Callahan, Weiss were all miserable failures at the college level. For every Pete Carroll, there's five Mike Shermans.

Just to be a prick. Chuck Fairbanks. :smile2:

The thing with Fairbanks is that he had all the credentials. He had been a winning coach in college. He'd recruited top level players, he had NFL experience, he had it all. There was literally nothing on his resume that would indicate that he'd be a complete and total failure at CU. He ended up doing all the same stuff Hawk is doing - blaming the fans, the facilities, the administration - everybody but himself.

I agree with you on the NFL to College thing. Guys like Groh, Sherman, Callahan, Weiss were all miserable failures at the college level. For every Pete Carroll, there's five Mike Shermans and even more abysmally, a Greg Robinson.

ftfy :thumbsup:

Back