What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your perspective so far on recruiting???

It's gonna be funny watching the reactions if/when we land those overrated 4* and 5* players. I suspect they will be bashed, or at least they should be. Hopefully MacIntyre never makes that mistake.

Right now it is the old "Chicken and Egg" argument. Recruits or winning?

Yes, if we got Saban to coach us, we would be getting top recruits. No top coach was coming here. Not with how things were. Kiffen couldnt bring great recruits here right now, because we know he isnt a good coach. The success of USC the last ten years with Carroll still has not tarnished under the subpar coaches they have since him.

CU does not have a history as a great winning program to kids 18 and under. Thats a fact. MacIntyre doesn't have history at winning at a BCS program yet. So we have to hope they get kids who have what they like that will consider CU at this point. Yes, kids with tons of higher level BCS programs would be nice. But those kids can make safer choices than CU at this point. Win some games and he has more ammunition to get higher ranked kids to come to CU. But he won one or no games his first year at SJSU. In case that happens, he can't try for the stars and hold off on the kids that can build a solid foundation here for the future. I am sure they talk with the top kids too. My guess is that if you have choices of top programs, you are at best watching CU, not committing.

On the other hand, the kids that used to keep SJSU as their safety net while the hoped for schools like CU (and MM prayed to get) now are easy to get. In no way do I feel the MM is taking these kids because he is just filling a class out of desperation. Win, and he will get higher ranked kids. I think he is a smart coach, and will always go for system kids (ones that work in his system) over stars anyway.

That said, I cant wait for 4 and 5 star kids to come that he knows will work well in this system. Until then, I have to have faith that they will make what we have now get the most out of their abilities. Smart disciplined football would be such a huge change from past years. Competitive football with great halftime adjustments would be a little piece of heaven to watch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Right now it is the old "Chicken and Egg" argument. Recruits or winning?

Yes, if we got Saban to coach us, we would be getting top recruits. No top coach was coming here. Not with how things were. Kiffen couldnt bring great recruits here right now, because we know he isnt a good coach. The success of USC the last ten years with Carroll still has not tarnished under the subpar coaches they have since him.

CU does not have a history as a great winning program to kids 18 and under. Thats a fact. MacIntyre doesn't have history at winning at a BCS program yet. So we have to hope they get kids who have what they like that will consider CU at this point. Yes, kids with tons of higher level BCS programs would be nice. But those kids can make safer choices than CU at this point. Win some games and he has more ammunition to get higher ranked kids to come to CU. But he won one or no games his first year at SJSU. In case that happens, he can't try for the stars and hold off on the kids that can build a solid foundation here for the future. I am sure they talk with the top kids too. My guess is that if you have choices of top programs, you are at best watching CU, not committing.

On the other hand, the kids that used to keep SJSU as their safety net while the hoped for schools like CU (and MM prayed to get) now are easy to get. In no way do I feel the MM is taking these kids because he is just filling a class out of desperation. Win, and he will get higher ranked kids. I think he is a smart coach, and will always go for system kids (ones that work in his system) over stars anyway.

That said, I cant wait for 4 and 5 star kids to come that he knows will work well in this system. Until then, I have to have faith that they will make what we have now get the most out of their abilities. Smart disciplined football would be such a huge change from past years. Competitive football with great halftime adjustments would be a little piece of heaven to watch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Couple notes about the bolded.

In MM's first year, SJSU had NCAA sanctions placed on scholarships due to low APR scores under the previous coach so he was coaching with less than 85 scholarship players on top of playing @ #1 Alabama and @ #11 Wisconsin, so he has a much, much easier OOC schedule here at CU than he did at SJSU. On top of that, he played a lot of freshman that year. MM's second year is similar to the 2013-2014 season for us in terms of who is coming back (ie. not playing a **** ton of freshman across the board).

Last edited:
Seems to me the staff is at least adding speed at LB which hurt the defense the last two seasons.

Not coincidentally, those Cal and UW teams have not improved after Tosh got there. (In fact, Cal got a lot worse with those great recruits).

Because To$h is paying them. Those type of recruits can lose their will power after they start seeing money.

I'm in wait and see mode, the natives are restless, I'm one of them. However, I'm in Montana Friday so I'll remain in a good mood till I see a hungry ass Grizzly lol.

Not coincidentally, those Cal and UW teams have not improved after Tosh got there. (In fact, Cal got a lot worse with those great recruits).

I'm for winning actual football games. I guess it's just me.

As a Cal fan, I can attest to this. But from a program standpoint, his recruits are the ones who brought on the academic issues Cal is currently facing. Even at UW, he has brought on guys that prob shouldn't be at Washington. There was a thread on one of their boards about how many academic risks he was bringing on.

The great irony in all this, Tosh's current anti-Cal pitch to UW recruits is, "it's too hard and you will fail out", then points to the guys he recruited a couple years earlier.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the stars in this class. IMO this is the first time I have seen a coach that seems to have an actual plan and a system and is recruiting guys to fit into that system. Skippy recruited impact playmakers but neglected the lines. Barney re-enforced our trenches (somewhat) but always seemed to whiff on the playmaker types. Flower child moonbeam, well, he started off with a bang and then fell flat. No clear cut offensive or defensive philosophy meant directionless recruiting. Then of course Embo, tried to recruit big and fast, ended up with some decent recruits, but those guys were never going to pan out in his pro style offensive and defensive schemes.

MMac seems to have an actual gameplan, and while these early recruits may not have the "WOW" factor of being highly rated and multiple offers, they are athletic recruits who can contribute in multiple positions. Until he has a couple of years to recruit to his system and balance out the classes how he wants plus seeing some success on the field, I am happy with this type of recruiting. I may be the only one and of course time will tell, but for now I think we have 7 quality commits that MMac will find ways for them to contribute over the next 4 - 5 years.

It's gonna be funny watching the reactions if/when we land those overrated 4* and 5* players. I suspect they will be bashed, or at least they should be. Hopefully MacIntyre never makes that mistake.

You mean like Scott and Katoa? Those kinds of 4 & 5 star guys? They they really worked out well for the Buffs. Played about a total of six quarters among them, eh?

Much rather have guys who are competitive in the Pac 12 in a system that works and who add to the overall quality of the program, including academically; irrespective of star rankings from a bunch of guys with magazines and websites to sell..

You mean like Scott and Katoa? Those kinds of 4 & 5 star guys? They they really worked out well for the Buffs. Played about a total of six quarters among them, eh?

Much rather have guys who are competitive in the Pac 12 in a system that works and who add to the overall quality of the program, including academically; irrespective of star rankings from a bunch of guys with magazines and websites to sell..

Signed,
Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia, etc.

You serious, Clark?

Here we go.

Signed,
Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia, etc.

You serious, Clark?

I get his point. For CU to get 4 and 5 stars, there is usually alot of risk involved for some reason. So I would rather have three star players that actually are solid players and there for a whole college career than a possible superstar that doesn't pan out (which has typically been the case at CU, especially in the last ten years). If MM fills this team with solid three star players and coaches them up, we will be a better team than we have been in any memory of the kids we are trying to get to come to CU. With some success, then he too will be able to start snagging the occasional 4 star player. Get into the top 3 or 4 teams of the Pac 12, and he can start to get a 5 star or two a year. But it will take time to show some gradual success and convince the kids that have lots of choices on where they can go, that they can come to CU and play on a competitive team.

Right now, talk of 4 and 5 star players is fan dreaming talk. They need to see that MM and company can turn this team around, win the games they should win, and be much more competitive. I kind of want recruiting to slow down for now so there is room later for higher 3 stars and 4 star kids. I think if the Buffs could win 4, even 5, then the last half dozen kids will be much higher ranked. If a miracle happens and we make a bowl game (and yes, it would take a near certifiable miracle, I know) then I am sure that we could pull a 4 star or two late in the game.

And before you ask.....yes, the Kool-Aid tastes mighty fine!!!

The 4th is over......please, please, can training camp get here already????????

I'm not going to hold it against every 5* and 4* player that they happened to be rated similarly to ****ups like Kotoa and Scott. That would be a disservice to prominent players on this year's team like PRich and Jack Harris.

Of course we need less attrition moving forward, but let's stop acting like only the highly rated recruits have been washouts on this team.

Of course we need less attrition moving forward, but let's stop acting like only the highly rated recruits have been washouts on this team.

Agree wholeheartedly. Chronic underperformance has plagued us for years now and I can't tell if that or shortcomings in recruiting have hurt us worse.

I came to this site to actively advocate against a hire from USU.

My concerns with Gary anderson were twofold.

1.) Would he be able to comunicate well with the non LDS athlete? (This was based on my dealings with him and his peers)
2.) The next four star he signed would be his first.

I'm starting to have some concerns. (Cue some jerk to tell me how Jeffcoat can close anyone in Texas because he is a star)

1.) Would he be able to comunicate well with the non LDS athlete? (This was based on my dealings with him and his peers)

I'm starting to have some concerns. (Cue some jerk to tell me how Jeffcoat can close anyone in Texas because he is a star)

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but you do realize we didn't hire Gary Anderson, right?

Ah taking two different scenarios and trying to combine them into an argument, nice.

Let the Badger fans worry about Anderson. Not sure what your point is here.

Of Course

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but you do realize we didn't hire Gary Anderson, right?

Of course I know who the coach is. I am seeing the results I was concerned about with him from this staff.

When I came here to advocate against Anderson, I was concerned about recruiting. He knows X's and O's as well as anyone and he has strong ties to the Poly community that would have been beneficial. I was concerned his presence couldn't close on four stars to compete in the Pac. I was concerned that his on field demeanor and the way he interacts with young men would not close in California and Texas. When I came out against him, I thought we (CU) could close on a BCS coach with a history that would help overcome our on field performance to land a few four stars. Both Mac and Gary are great guys with the media.

I am satisfied with recruiting so far, but the lack of star power will catch up. I like the recruiting in Cali and the ties this staff has brought on that front. I love what I hear about the work ethic of this staff. I currently believe Mac is greater than Anderson, but I have never been on the field to see how Mac relates to kids.

Of course I know who the coach is. I am seeing the results I was concerned about with him from this staff.

When I came here to advocate against Anderson, I was concerned about recruiting. He knows X's and O's as well as anyone and he has strong ties to the Poly community that would have been beneficial. I was concerned his presence couldn't close on four stars to compete in the Pac. I was concerned that his on field demeanor and the way he interacts with young men would not close in California and Texas. When I came out against him, I thought we (CU) could close on a BCS coach with a history that would help overcome our on field performance to land a few four stars. Both Mac and Gary are great guys with the media.

I am satisfied with recruiting so far, but the lack of star power will catch up. I like the recruiting in Cali and the ties this staff has brought on that front. I love what I hear about the work ethic of this staff. I currently believe Mac is greater than Anderson, but I have never been on the field to see how Mac relates to kids.
I mean let's ignore the on-field results, the effort given in his first game against Alabama, and the huge switch in team attitude form before Spring Break to after, or how recruits and current players talk about how great MM is...

I agree. Anderson was actually my first choice...even over Food Cart...but after learning more about Mac I believe Bohn made a great hire. Of course, I'm a Cubs...er, Buffs...fan, so I'll wait to see what is on the field before getting too excited.

So far generally satisfied with the commits. I expected this year to be a very down year after last season, but the type of players Mac is bringing in would build a very solid foundation if we can hang on to all of them. It shows me that he can recruit against some of the lower tier BCS schools and win. Once he has something positive to sell in the win column, I think we will be in good shape and the caliber of recruits will increase.

Honestly until CU is in the top 25 again for a couple seasons in a row, I don't think we will see classes with more than one or two blue chip prospects.

Just so people understand the skeptics concerns...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...llege-recruiting-steve-addazio/?sct=uk_t11_a4

his BC bunker has produced one of the most improbable stories of the college football offseason, as Boston College's 20 verbal commitments through Friday have the program currently ranked 21st nationally in Rivals.com's class of 2014 team recruiting rankings. Eight months out from National Signing Day, the Eagles have assembled one of the country's most impressive hauls, something that's especially unlikely given that BC went just 2-10 last year.
It's not just our record. It's the staff.

I can show you comments about the improvement at practice and buy in from players with both the Hawk and Embree hire.

I have been on the field with Gary. I have not with Mac. I'll wait to see the performance on the field.

Back