What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your perspective so far on recruiting???

I can show you comments about the improvement at practice and buy in from players with both the Hawk and Embree hire.

I have been on the field with Gary. I have not with Mac. I'll wait to see the performance on the field.

And where did Embree have the resume to show that his players DID buy in? Hawkins took over a winner at BSU, it's tougher to get kids to buy in when you've been losing but MM did that at SJSU and the buy in has been echoed by current players (especially Wood) and by recruits.

Go look at their commits, lot of numbers but not a very impressive class, 12 of their 20 commits are 5.5 3*'s or below. They have a 4* and three 5.7's but overall their ranking is inflated by the amount of commits.
we have 8 guys, and no 5.7 3* or above, correct?

oh, well, nothing to worry about then.

No just more of you can't look at it from the surface only, which is something that article didn't take into account. One of the big flaws in the Rivals rankings are that they aren't standardized.

So you can dismiss the article in its entirety and feel good about where our class is relative to our situation?

nope, but I don't see how the part about being fine with our class is not your position. Please correct if wrong.

I'm in the wait and see mode for this class. It needs to get better, and I believe it will with some positive results on the field this fall. I just don't see the point in getting uppity about this class roughly seven months before signing day.

I'm in the wait and see mode for this class. It needs to get better, and I believe it will with some positive results on the field this fall. I just don't see the point in getting uppity about this class roughly seven months before signing day.
I don't see the point in arguing against people expressing valid concerns about the class so far.

Then stop dismissing them. :lol:
160g68g6615.gif

:lol:

spring game

I mean let's ignore the on-field results, and the huge switch in team attitude form before Spring Break to after, or how recruits and current players talk about how great MM is...

You and I see things differently. I don't see the lack of a mass defection as a win. I did watch the spring game. Probably half a dozen times at this point. What I see is a team learning a new scheme. Hesitant first step. Bad hip placement in the secondary. Dropped balls keeping points off the board. Refs that were instructed to swallow the whistle. An O line that was piece meal and a D line that is suspect on run and needs more speed to blow up Pac 12 pass.

The simplified system is good and the team unity is as well. We'll see if the unity stays when the L's happen. I want CU to suceed so badly. Right now the realist in me has me saying that if CU drops the CSU game, the wheels could fall off like they did when Embree and staff were out coached by them a year ago. I think that was a program breaker for Embree.

I need to watch the Spring Game again, I was unbelievably hungover and didn't pay much attention to it

Right now the realist in me has me saying that if CU drops the CSU game, the wheels could fall off like they did when Embree and staff were out coached by them a year ago. I think that was a program breaker for Embree.
CSU was a tough one, but the program breaker...IMO...was Sac State. To allow an FCS team to win at Folsom was, to me, the worst game I've attended and the worst in the program's history. If we lose to CSU and Cen Ark, then I'll be concerned.

I hate to bring it up, but Montana St. was another FCS team that won at Folsom. IMO, that one was even worse than Sac. St.

We had a better team when we lost to MSU. Last years lost to Sac St. was a combination of team youth and poor poor coaching. I guess that can be said for all of the losses...

After our 8th recruit today my perspective on recruiting is that we are taking guys who we hope can develop into Pac level players by the time they are RS Sophs/JR's. The CU program is a long way from being competitive with the top 40 in the country and we are going to need to see either the light bulb come on for a QB on the roster or we are going to have to methodically work our way up the ladder as a program. The recruits we are landing so far are all guys who are second or third options for most of the Pac 12. I do like their future measurables. I think we have about 8 slots remaining and I would really like to see us save 1 spot to attempt to snag a falling 4 star guy from another program. If happens every year and we could really use another P.Rich on the Offensive roster.

After our 8th recruit today my perspective on recruiting is that we are taking guys who we hope can develop into Pac level players by the time they are RS Sophs/JR's. The CU program is a long way from being competitive with the top 40 in the country and we are going to need to see either the light bulb come on for a QB on the roster or we are going to have to methodically work our way up the ladder as a program. The recruits we are landing so far are all guys who are second or third options for most of the Pac 12. I do like their future measurables. I think we have about 8 slots remaining and I would really like to see us save 1 spot to attempt to snag a falling 4 star guy from another program. If happens every year and we could really use another P.Rich on the Offensive roster.

I think your analysis is spot on. We're in the process of developing a solid 2-deep of veteran players, with developmental guys behind them.

That's a methodical build.

We need playmakers sprinkled in and the coaching staff has to find them. We also need a QB to step up and lead this team. Without those things happening, we're recruiting at a level that will net us an average Nevada team.

I think your analysis is spot on. We're in the process of developing a solid 2-deep of veteran players, with developmental guys behind them.

That's a methodical build.

We need playmakers sprinkled in and the coaching staff has to find them. We also need a QB to step up and lead this team. Without those things happening, we're recruiting at a level that will net us an average Nevada team.

You can build a hell of a team with solid guys and I often find that recruiting rankings miss more times than not on a lot of positions. But there is one place you can't often cheat the rankings, and that's at the couple of positions where freaky athletic traits (God Given) can really elevate a guy. When you see a guy like Nembot up close, you get it. Freak.

Those positions are WR, CB (they sort of nullify each other) and Pass Rush. Being well coached, disciplined, and experienced makes up for a lot of raw talent and can really make a team a lot better. But having a couple athletic freaks goes a long way.

We currently have a few guys who can be freaks: PRich, Crawley and perhaps Yuri. But it will take more than raw talent. We even have a couple really good DL, but I don't see an explosive pass rush guy after Uzo-D.

Any thoughts so far on the 6 recruits (not counting JUCO transfer)?

They are all 3* (except Waz) which is good but none are ranked by Rivals.

Not a very impressive offer list:
Arkansas St, Arizona, Army, Eastern Wash, Idaho, New Mex St, North Texas, Northern Colo, SDSU, Utah, UTEP, Wazzou, Wyoming.

Would you say this is trending better than Embree did? Seems pretty similar to me, but I'm not much of a recruiting guru.

Are we getting in under the radar on a lot of these kids, kinda like Bobo?

Thoughts??

Meh.

Not too bad, but not really that good either. I'm more interested in how he uses the 'talent' he has on the team.

Evan White is a nice addition. Hopefully we can add Isaiah Holland to the mix and then by some miracle get one of Risner/Jones/Ballage. I'd be pretty pleased with that in state haul.

At this point it looks like the Class is about half way complete. My question is where do they need to focus to balance out the roster? Running back is a glaring need to me along with the interior defensive line. Also need at least one true cornerback.

So I guess he is not allowed to have 2 off seasons and 1 regular season to get his fingerprints on the program...he has to produce yesterday?

Evan White is a nice addition. Hopefully we can add Isaiah Holland to the mix and then by some miracle get one of Risner/Jones/Ballage. I'd be pretty pleased with that in state haul.

I think Ballage is our number 1 target for this cycle. He could go along way to turning things around for athletes in CO. Jones and Holland would be great additions on the OL. I think Holland is a very likely get if we really want him.

At this point it looks like the Class is about half way complete. My question is where do they need to focus to balance out the roster? Running back is a glaring need to me along with the interior defensive line. Also need at least one true cornerback.

I actually disagree that RB is a need. We have T.Jones as a Jr along with Abron as a Soph and Powell as a Soph. I think next years class is where we really need to hit on a top 30 RB. I think this year we recruit Ballage for RB and if we miss we end up taking a RB/ATH who may stick or may move somewhere else.

I think Ballage is our number 1 target for this cycle. He could go along way to turning things around for athletes in CO. Jones and Holland would be great additions on the OL. I think Holland is a very likely get if we really want him.
It seems Ballage wants to wait on a commitment. Hopefully we show some improvement and that will help a little.

Back