What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your take on Helfrich/Grimes leaving and Kiesau/Johnson stepping in?

His "10 wins" statement, put plenty of pressure on him regardless of if it was meant as a guarantee, goal, motivation, whatever.

Yeah, but then he backpedaled away from that quite nicely, didn't he? I hope it wasn't because of the pressure that was accompanying his comments.

So in other words, they were pissed that he said we wasn't leaving, and then took the CU job. Oh well. What is he supposed to do, go to the kids and say 'Hey, I am interviewing for the CU job because it is a step up from here and I want to play in the big leagues, hope you understand and can keep this hush hush until I decide.' ??

Of course he cannot say that he is looking to go to CU-- if he is not offered the job then his team is pissed at him even if he stays. So ESPN broke the story-- maybe he was on his way back to tell them and ESPN picked it up and ran it before he could tell them. Boo-hoo.

So in other words, they were pissed that he said we wasn't leaving, and then took the CU job. Oh well. What is he supposed to do, go to the kids and say 'Hey, I am interviewing for the CU job because it is a step up from here and I want to play in the big leagues, hope you understand and can keep this hush hush until I decide.' ??

Of course he cannot say that he is looking to go to CU-- if he is not offered the job then his team is pissed at him even if he stays. So ESPN broke the story-- maybe he was on his way back to tell them and ESPN picked it up and ran it before he could tell them. Boo-hoo.

Agreed. Coaches are in a tough spot when they're interviewing elsewhere.

I'd say it's best to be upfront and honest about it. Tell them you've interviewed, that you haven't been offered yet, but that if you are offered it'll be something you'd definitely have to consider.

Do not, on the otherhand, say you aren't going anywhere.

It is part of the business. Crappy for sure, any way you do it. Kids that you recruited to a certain school are never going to understand why you're leaving them.

I'm not surprised they resent Hawk a bit. But you made it sound a lot worse than it is really was IMO (I'm sure by accident).

Last edited:
I'd say it's best to be upfront and honest about it. Tell them you've interviewed, that you haven't been offered yet, but that if you are offered it'll be something you'd definitely have to consider.

Do not, on the otherhand, say you aren't going anywhere.

Happens all the time in every sport, every coach, every player. I would be a millionaire if I got a dollar for every time a coach or player in sports says they aren't going anywhere and then do.

I'm not surprised they resent Hawk a bit. But you made it sound a lot than it is really was IMO.

How? By saying they said negative things about him?

You read that comment from me, so what led you to believe it was going to be something worse than players questioning his character and not caring that he left?

How? By saying they said negative things about him?

You read that comment from me, so what led you to believe it was going to be something worse than players questioning his character and not caring that he left?

"The thing that caught my attention were the negative things the players said about Hawkins."

That was what you originally said when you brought it up. Very vague, that's all. You're free to think Hawk has questionable character, I don't have to agree.

"The thing that caught my attention were the negative things the players said about Hawkins."

That was what you originally said when you brought it up. Very vague, that's all. You're free to think Hawk has questionable character, I don't have to agree.

So me being vague led you to believe that it was something worse than them questioning his character? Interesting, I'd say. In a documentary about Boise State, the thing that caught my attention were comments about our HC. SHOCKING!

You're free to think all cats should have their heads off and then be eaten, I don't have to agree.

So me being vague led you to believe that it was something worse than them questioning his character? Interesting, I'd say. In a documentary about Boise State, the thing that caught my attention were comments about our HC. SHOCKING!

You're free to think all cats should have their heads off and then be eaten, I don't have to agree.

Uh, okay. What I was saying is that you seemed vague about what negative things they were saying. I'm not surprised they caught your attention, I read too much into the "negative things" comment. My bad.

I am taking a wait and see attitude. Helfrich was definitely having problems but I don't believe that Hawkins gave him the guidance that he needed. Grimes is a good coach, we will see how Johnson does. I am also concerned on how well some of these coaches recruit.

Back