What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which '18 Recruits Have the Biggest Early Impact?

All the JC guys will play a ton.

Maddox would be a nice RS as he's got 4 to play 3 and is a bit skinny for a safety at this point, but I don't think our depth chart can afford it.

I assume Antwine plays for sure as well, he doesn't look like a Frosh, and he seems focused. Plus its a necessity.

I'd be surprised if we don't lose another 5 guys by August. Spring ball will be the reality test for some and it's mid Feb this year.

Biggest impact will be one of the DL guys.

Lastly, I am intrigued by Jones but I thought he looked stiff and had trouble running fast in-the-route. He would catch it and turn on the jets. I think he's going to need some coaching.

I will not go into each and every player one by one, because everyone on here has done a great job identifying at least 6-7 impact guys in this class that I agree with on most. Only one I will point out is the TE, because anything like what Daniel Graham used to do would change the whole offense and make Montez have a nice dump off option. Then you have the continued development of last years solid class, and if the Grey shirts show up and help, and the 3 amigos (Julmisse, Falo, and Umu) could possibly return, then this is the largest legitimate step up in real talent that this program has had in 20 years! With all that said, and with what Mac is saying in his presser, the biggest question is: "WILL THERE BE LEGITIMATE COMPETITION AT EVERY POSITION?" and will there be bottom of the depth chart shedding of players with scholarships that should consider transferring to better situations at FCS or smaller D1 schools as this roster takes a step up to becoming a real P5 / PAC12 roster? We need to see at least 3-5 more scholly's open up. Overall, I am actually as giddy and excited for these developments as I have been in a long time! It looks like Mac is back in focus on his program and out of the Tumpkin funk that really set him back last year. He has lots to prove, but I see some spark back in the old boy.

Jones. That kid is massive and is what the NFL is all about. We really have the ability to open up an option for Montez that we never had before. You put a 6’6” 260 pound dude on a LB and he’s going to kill them over the middle of the field. This will (hopefully) help with the defenses stacking the box either waiting for the run or jamming our receivers at the line as it takes a defender out of the equation. That’s my hope at least, that he’s used correctly and can make the impact I think he’s capable of.

A legit TE can help all facets of the offense. I’m ready for football now. I think there’s a lot of really good players in this class.

1. Jones: going to be a matchup nightmare in the play action game and brings a dimension we simply don’t have on the roster right now.

2. Abrams: hopefully our stater next year but there will be some good competition with udoffia, wigley and hopefully julmisse. I still can’t believe how tall he was standing next to jeffcoat on his visit.

3. Deion Smith: we need a big physical back and he seems like just that. Despite his comments today Adams was a big reason for the shift to a run dominated offense after the first 3 games last year and we will probably be young upfront next year so the run game will be their friend. Obviously this changes if Boyd commits and makes it to campus.

4. Davion Taylor: I still think he ends up at jack backer and will bring some much needed athleticism in the middle of the field to go along with Lewis. Will also probably be a special teams monster.

I agree with your point that we need a big physical back, but you know Deion is maybe 6' probably closer to 5'11" and listed as 180 which means he's probably 175. I don't think that's really a BIG physical back..

I will not go into each and every player one by one, because everyone on here has done a great job identifying at least 6-7 impact guys in this class that I agree with on most. Only one I will point out is the TE, because anything like what Daniel Graham used to do would change the whole offense and make Montez have a nice dump off option. Then you have the continued development of last years solid class, and if the Grey shirts show up and help, and the 3 amigos (Julmisse, Falo, and Umu) could possibly return, then this is the largest legitimate step up in real talent that this program has had in 20 years! With all that said, and with what Mac is saying in his presser, the biggest question is: "WILL THERE BE LEGITIMATE COMPETITION AT EVERY POSITION?" and will there be bottom of the depth chart shedding of players with scholarships that should consider transferring to better situations at FCS or smaller D1 schools as this roster takes a step up to becoming a real P5 / PAC12 roster? We need to see at least 3-5 more scholly's open up. Overall, I am actually as giddy and excited for these developments as I have been in a long time! It looks like Mac is back in focus on his program and out of the Tumpkin funk that really set him back last year. He has lots to prove, but I see some spark back in the old boy.

Haven't had the time to follow this class very closely, so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy a glass of this kool aid for a while....

Jones. That kid is massive and is what the NFL is all about. We really have the ability to open up an option for Montez that we never had before. You put a 6’6” 260 pound dude on a LB and he’s going to kill them over the middle of the field. This will (hopefully) help with the defenses stacking the box either waiting for the run or jamming our receivers at the line as it takes a defender out of the equation. That’s my hope at least, that he’s used correctly and can make the impact I think he’s capable of.

A legit TE can help all facets of the offense. I’m ready for football now. I think there’s a lot of really good players in this class.
Yeah, can't wait to stretch the length of the field with our WR's, then dump short crossing routes to the TE. Watching Graham gain YAC on a couple of those in 62-36 has got me salivating for some similar play calls in 2018 from Chev.

Yeah, can't wait to stretch the length of the field with our WR's, then dump short crossing routes to the TE. Watching Graham gain YAC on a couple of those in 62-36 has got me salivating for some similar play calls in 2018 from Chev.

Hopefully they do it more than one time per game.

Deion Smith
Mustapha Johnson
Israel Atwine
Davion Taylor
Abrams
Maddox
Ray Robinson
LJ Wallace
Hypolite
Jones

Am I the only one that thinks Bounds can be an above average P12 TE if given the looks? He has looked comfortable catching the ball and has shown more ability after the catch than I thought he had.

Jones is def a step above athletically though.

Am I the only one that thinks Bounds can be an above average P12 TE if given the looks? He has looked comfortable catching the ball and has shown more ability after the catch than I thought he had.

I think above average is pushing it, but he can be an adequate Pac-12 TE. That is better than that position being a black hole.

I think Bounds can be a plus blocker who has to be accounted for in the passing game. In other words, a solid starter that I suppose you could call better than average as a senior.

Agreed on Bounds. Like Duff said maybe not above average but I was wondering why he wasn't getting fed the ball a whole lot more. Looks solid and sound.

I'd be surprised if we don't lose another 5 guys by August. Spring ball will be the reality test for some and it's mid Feb this year.

Yep, I see 5 guys on the roster that are entering at least their 4th(or greater) year that have never contributed much on the field. It is time to medically retire a couple that have been chronically injured and early graduate the other 3.

I think we'll see Rakeem Boyd, if he can become eligible, and at least another OL and DL added to the roster.

Agreed on Bounds. Like Duff said maybe not above average but I was wondering why he wasn't getting fed the ball a whole lot more. Looks solid and sound.
Using the TE is the biggest improvement I hope to see with BL gone.

I had the same thought late in the season, that Bounds had proved enough to be given some consistent looks, and wished more had come of it.

Back