What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which '18 Recruits Have the Biggest Early Impact?

yeah, i would think smith is going to get a lot of carries-- we are so thin at rb.

I love Smith at RB. I think he, Abrams, and Taylor will have big impacts in 2018. I'd like to see Jones involved a lot on the offense too but we'll have to see how much the TE is used with Chev calling the offense.

I love Smith at RB. I think he, Abrams, and Taylor will have big impacts in 2018. I'd like to see Jones involved a lot on the offense too but we'll have to see how much the TE is used with Chev calling the offense.
I think Chev has a plan for him or they wouldn’t have pushed so hard for him.

Davion Taylor. He absolutely destroyed people in his highlight tape. I am dying to see him play buff backer
This guy has only played for 2 years. tremendous potential:
"Rated the nation's No. 1 junior college OLB recruit — and No. 7 overall — in the 2018 class by 247Sports. ... Walked on at Coahoma and played two seasons there. He will have three years to play two seasons at CU. ... Grew up in Magnolia, Miss., and did not play high school football. Due to his mother's religious beliefs, he did not play sports from Friday night until Sunday morning. Following high school, got his mother's blessing to play on Saturdays. ... Chose CU over Ole Miss, Missouri, Arkansas and others. ... Is also expected to compete in track and field for the Buffs."

Immediate - Taylor, Abrams, and Maddux
Over the long run, I'm excited about D. Smith and Arias. A lot of players though to be excited about, even if we don't have any really compelling prospects like Nixon, etc.

All the jucos should play a lot. The preps to push for PT are Arias, Antwine, and Stanley

Think Smith will leap ahead of Fontenot on the depth chart? If Fontenot is as Lindsay says, would like to see Fontenot plenty as well.

Think Smith will leap ahead of Fontenot on the depth chart? If Fontenot is as Lindsay says, would like to see Fontenot plenty as well.
Just a gut feeling but I think they split time early and Smith pulls away during conference play. I do like Fontenot too but I think Smith is going to be special.

Do we think they use Jones the same way they used that TE at Texas Tech (forget his name, think he's in the NFL now)? Because that would be an amazing thing to watch against these pac-12 defenses.

I don’t see how Arias and Stanley factor in much at WR next year. Assuming good health, Shenault, Winfree, Nixon, Mac, and Brown are the 1-5 options and then you have guys like Bell and Jackson in reserve. Maybe Arias is just so big and physical that he forces PT, but I just don’t see that happening with the group of WRs ahead of him next year.

Edit: forgot about Ento... no chance any of the frosh WRs see meaningful PT. Maybe Stanley at CB.

Last edited:
1. Jones: going to be a matchup nightmare in the play action game and brings a dimension we simply don’t have on the roster right now.

2. Abrams: hopefully our stater next year but there will be some good competition with udoffia, wigley and hopefully julmisse. I still can’t believe how tall he was standing next to jeffcoat on his visit.

3. Deion Smith: we need a big physical back and he seems like just that. Despite his comments today Adams was a big reason for the shift to a run dominated offense after the first 3 games last year and we will probably be young upfront next year so the run game will be their friend. Obviously this changes if Boyd commits and makes it to campus.

4. Davion Taylor: I still think he ends up at jack backer and will bring some much needed athleticism in the middle of the field to go along with Lewis. Will also probably be a special teams monster.

If the question is "who is the biggest impact in 2018" I would say Shenault..I honestly think he's the best player on the team. So I think WR is hard to crack into with Laviska, Winfree, Ento, etc as the upperclassmen.

1. Antwine seems destined to be a starter (there’s essentially no other options)

2. Jones - Athletic freak of a TE could be what Jace Amaro was for Tech, but also more prevelant in the run game.

3. Taylor going to start at BB, IMO.

4. Abrams probably starting at CB, opposite Udoffia. I am interested to see if Chris Miller is able to compete. One of the best athletes of last years class.

Davion Taylor - Speed, speed, speed. Think he completely changes the dynamic of this defense with his athleticism. Day one starter and potential all conference player.
Darrion Jones - Seems to be the whole package here for TE. He is absolutely gigantic and MM mentioned he is 260 plus pounds at 6'6. Unless his athleticism is just way off base, think they got a huge steal here. Great job by the staff finding him. Nothing much to push him either. Day one starter.
Aaron Maddox - He just seems to be a MM type safety with his size. Hits hard and seems to have pretty good coverage skills. CU is a little low on depth here as well. Depth piece, but plays all over the defense.
Mustafa Noel-Johnson - Not sure what to think of him, but think this is more of a an issue of depth more than anything. He will play alot. Depth piece.
Israel Antwine - I go back and forth here with him. He has all the talent to play a lot in the 5 technique, or even start, but I think it is going to take him time to adjust to college life, so may have a trickle down. My biggest concern is that he is here all 4 years. Depth piece and probably plays a lot if he is comfortable.

I want to put Delrick Abrams, but playing corner in the Pac 12 is very difficult, especially your first year. He will play, but don't think he starts. Also, I think I have convinced myself that Daniel Arias is my favorite recruit in this class. He has Mike Evans written all over him. He will be 6'5 and 225 pounds when all is said and done. Guy is going to be a gigantic steal, IMO.

Davion Taylor - Speed, speed, speed. Think he completely changes the dynamic of this defense with his athleticism. Day one starter and potential all conference player.
Darrion Jones - Seems to be the whole package here for TE. He is absolutely gigantic and MM mentioned he is 260 plus pounds at 6'6. Unless his athleticism is just way off base, think they got a huge steal here. Great job by the staff finding him. Nothing much to push him either. Day one starter.
Aaron Maddox - He just seems to be a MM type safety with his size. Hits hard and seems to have pretty good coverage skills. CU is a little low on depth here as well. Depth piece, but plays all over the defense.
Mustafa Noel-Johnson - Not sure what to think of him, but think this is more of a an issue of depth more than anything. He will play alot. Depth piece.
Israel Antwine - I go back and forth here with him. He has all the talent to play a lot in the 5 technique, or even start, but I think it is going to take him time to adjust to college life, so may have a trickle down. My biggest concern is that he is here all 4 years. Depth piece and probably plays a lot if he is comfortable.

I want to put Delrick Abrams, but playing corner in the Pac 12 is very difficult, especially your first year. He will play, but don't think he starts. Also, I think I have convinced myself that Daniel Arias is my favorite recruit in this class. He has Mike Evans written all over him. He will be 6'5 and 225 pounds when all is said and done. Guy is going to be a gigantic steal, IMO.
Remember how much wigley played? Well Abrams is older and better imo. He will play a ton

Back