What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which forever Buff would have been the highest paid if there had been NIL?

Topic that came up today when bullsh!tting with friends at work.

I'm thinking it would have been Bloom with the Olympian marketability to go with his big play ability.
Bloom had real NIL deals lined up, so he’s an obvious choice.

Some of the head guys from natty run years would’ve likely gotten local car dealership offerings.

Personally think Kordell may have gotten the most since he was such a unique player for the time. Very marketable in college since he was so electric.

Some of the head guys from natty run years would’ve likely gotten local car dealership offerings.

Personally think Kordell may have gotten the most since he was such a unique player for the time. Very marketable in college since he was so electric.
Yep. I also thought Chris Brown coming off that 2001 season breakout with all those touchdowns & a Top 5 team would have been set up to draw a ton of endorsements in 2022 - and it would have blown up during the year when he was on pace for 2k & 20 TDs if not for the late injuries.

Bloom knew how to interact with the public as well, did some modeling.

Agree though with your mention of Kordell. In addition to what he did on the field he was comfortable dealing with the public. He could have made a lot doing ads, public appearances, etc. that some other guys might not have been as comfortable doing.

For example Rashaan was an amazing player and got lots of media attention for his accomplishments but I saw him in public a few times and he just didn't seem as comfortable as others. He seemed to me to be a shy personality, something that didn't apply to either Bloom or Kordell.

Kordell was my first thought too. Electric player, likeable, winning smile, on one of the best teams in the nation.

Bloom knew how to interact with the public as well, did some modeling.

Agree though with your mention of Kordell. In addition to what he did on the field he was comfortable dealing with the public. He could have made a lot doing ads, public appearances, etc. that some other guys might not have been as comfortable doing.

For example Rashaan was an amazing player and got lots of media attention for his accomplishments but I saw him in public a few times and he just didn't seem as comfortable as others. He seemed to me to be a shy personality, something that didn't apply to either Bloom or Kordell.

As a guy who was on campus with both, I can back this up. Rashaan and Kordell were polar opposites. Rashaan would walk quietly by himself, I don't know if I ever saw Kordell by himself. (Kordell's company was often of the female and insanely hot kind).

Whizzer was pretty dang popular when he was here. The NFL paled in comparison at the time. Hard to compare at this point, though. But he was very much a national figure.

I recommend Hutchison's biography of him...

Honestly
Sal Aunese would have been super popular throughout his potential 4-year career. Could have won a Heisman and would have been popular from Colorado westward to Cali.
Sadly that is who I thought of
RIP

Honestly
Sal Aunese would have been super popular throughout his potential 4-year career. Could have won a Heisman and would have been popular from Colorado westward to Cali.
Sadly that is who I thought of
RIP
This may be blasphemy, but there is a reason Hagan got some run in the bowl game against BYU. History was starting to be written.

This may be blasphemy, but there is a reason Hagan got some run in the bowl game against BYU. History was starting to be written.
I believe Sal was already hurting and losing a step even then and the off season got worse due to his cancer.

A 100% healthy Sal was amazing, and that trajectory is what I was projecting

Whizzer White finished 2nd in Heisman voting when college football was considered superior to the no fun league. That would have been worth some serious inflation adjusted dough.

Kordell may have been the most marketable with the right personality and performance.

Bloom possibly had the most lucrative package though, with the knowledge and personality to maximize dollars, plus the absurd good looks (he did some modeling ffs), and, well, to be really ****ing frank, he's white.

On that note, Koy could have done pretty damn well too...

Maybe it should be each player's best option for an NIL deal.

Kordell Stewart = Miracle Whip

Whizzer White = Cheese Whiz

Jeremy Bloom = 1-800-FLOWERS

Back