What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who are the top 10 coaches in college football?

The problem I have with Mack Brown is that in ALL of his years of being a HC, he has just 2 conference championships.

Troy Calhoun - Offensive guy from the NFL, put Air Force back in a good position. Loses D-Coordinator and sees no drop off on D this year.

Hoke - Defensive guy who's Ball State team was pretty good. He left, has to hire 2 coordinators at SDSU and has them now as one of the most improving teams, while Ball State under Hoke's old O-Coordinator is returning to their losing ways.

Art Briles - Houston and Baylor both improved steadily under him. Houston seems to be starting to lose some of their luster as Briles effect wears off.

Good call on Hoke and Briles, given your criteria. I think the true test with Briles will be how he performs when Griffin's gone. If they continue an upward trend that guy can pick his next job. Why aggie didn't hire Bryles instead of Sherman is beyond me.

Calhoun seems like the right fit, but I don't think he's approached the level DeBerry had reached during his best years. That might have something to do with the caliber of play at Utah and TCU, though.

Dan Mullen - follows a long list of good DC's who've had immediate success as head coaches. (oc's seem more likely to get the head jobs, but DC's seem to do better).

Mullen was an OC, Charlie Strong was the DC.

I can agree with most of the rest of your list, although you seem to have a hard on for smaller conference coaches. After Hawk, I'm just not as impressed with them. Probably unfair, but it is what it is.

I can agree with most of the rest of your list, although you seem to have a hard on for smaller conference coaches. After Hawk, I'm just not as impressed with them. Probably unfair, but it is what it is.

^^This^^

I'm not impressed until I see them do it in the big tent. Too many small college guys fail when they move up to the big leagues. Remember what stars guys like Koetter and Kragthorpe used to be?

Back