What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who is left with basketball recruiting?

"We're always in the market. Especially with transfers now, you never know what's going to become available," Boyle said. "If someone becomes available that we like, we'll follow through. If not, we'll bank it until next year. We're not going to give it just to give it. Next year's roster is pretty much set. This was not about next year's team."
http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...s-tad-boyle-likely-keep-remaining-scholarship

I get where Tad is coming from. But I also can't help but see it as a significant failure when you have a scholarship available and can't fill it.

"We're always in the market. Especially with transfers now, you never know what's going to become available," Boyle said. "If someone becomes available that we like, we'll follow through. If not, we'll bank it until next year. We're not going to give it just to give it. Next year's roster is pretty much set. This was not about next year's team."
http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...s-tad-boyle-likely-keep-remaining-scholarship

I get where Tad is coming from. But I also can't help but see it as a significant failure when you have a scholarship available and can't fill it.

5 scholarships in 1 cycle leads to diminishing returns even if we finally make a run. I find Tad's quotes disingenuous considering just last yr he filled a spot with a D2 talent instead of banking it.

Agreed. It'd be nice if Fletch were still around honestly.

It seems Boyle has learned his lesson on not signing dead weight to fill schollie numbers. Just reward a walk on for a season and move on.

The '17 class needs to be a good one.

I'd love to know what Tad's criteria is for finding a player that "we like." There are a many good transfers still available and many other good transfers who, while no longer available, we did not even pursue. Frankly a lot of these players that Tad doesn't "like" are and will be going to coaches who have had more success in their careers then he has.

Obviously we don't need another player for this season but we lose a lot after this year. Having a player with some experience who is at least to some degree a proven commodity would go a long way towards making up for these loses. Tad seemed to agree with this so I don't at all understand the point of going after just a few players and then moving on. If we continue to strike out then so be it (although indicative of another issue), but at least make an effort. Don't just let a scholarship go to waste.

I'd love to know what Tad's criteria is for finding a player that "we like." There are a many good transfers still available and many other good transfers who, while no longer available, we did not even pursue. Frankly a lot of these players that Tad doesn't "like" are and will be going to coaches who have had more success in their careers then he has.

Obviously we don't need another player for this season but we lose a lot after this year. Having a player with some experience who is at least to some degree a proven commodity would go a long way towards making up for these loses. Tad seemed to agree with this so I don't at all understand the point of going after just a few players and then moving on. If we continue to strike out then so be it (although indicative of another issue), but at least make an effort. Don't just let a scholarship go to waste.

I agree with you.

I don't think the decision (at this point) to leave it open is that big of deal since I can understand the logic. Basically, we can take a transfer who sits out this season and plays next but after missing on the top 3 or 4 targets, how high are they on who is left? I can understand Tad making a bet that the extra person he signs for the 2017 class will have more potential to help the program keep winning than could anyone we can still get who is still on the market for 2016.

However... open scholarship is a wasted opportunity and missing on everyone targeted to fill that opening is a significant recruiting failure. That's the part that upsets me, not so much the decision to leave it open at this point.

I agree with you.

I don't think the decision (at this point) to leave it open is that big of deal since I can understand the logic. Basically, we can take a transfer who sits out this season and plays next but after missing on the top 3 or 4 targets, how high are they on who is left? I can understand Tad making a bet that the extra person he signs for the 2017 class will have more potential to help the program keep winning than could anyone we can still get who is still on the market for 2016.

There are plenty of good transfers still left. And why were there not more hooks in the water to begin with? Cal has been pursuing a ton of transfer and not coincidently has already landed two, why wasn't that our approach? And I disagree with the idea that another 2017 signee would be more impactful then a transfer. Obviously we can't know for sure but I'll take my chance on, for example, a player like Josh Fortune who had proven to be a quality D-1 starter and had two years of playing experience under his belt then some random recruit. Especially given this staff's recent recruiting track record.

There are plenty of good transfers still left. And why were there not more hooks in the water to begin with? Cal has been pursuing a ton of transfer and not coincidently has already landed two, why wasn't that our approach? And I disagree with the idea that another 2017 signee would be more impactful then a transfer. Obviously we can't know for sure but I'll take my chance on, for example, a player like Josh Fortune who had proven to be a quality D-1 starter and had two years of playing experience under his belt then some random recruit. Especially given this staff's recent recruiting track record.

Fair enough. We all have our biases, though. I strongly prefer recruiting high school players unless it's a plug & play for a specific need (i.e., needing a Carlon Brown to cushion the blow of losing Alec & Cory or a Josh Fortune for losing Ski). You prefer more of a mercenary approach to building a team. I can't see Tad ever committing to that approach to the degree you would like.

Fair enough. We all have our biases, though. I strongly prefer recruiting high school players unless it's a plug & play for a specific need (i.e., needing a Carlon Brown to cushion the blow of losing Alec & Cory or a Josh Fortune for losing Ski). You prefer more of a mercenary approach to building a team. I can't see Tad ever committing to that approach to the degree you would like.

You do realize we lose a ton of production after this year, right? In other words the exact scenario you described above for when it's best to bring in a transfer...

If we're just using transfers to plug holes then so be it, but there are a lot of holes on the 2017 team right now. Tad seems to be aware of this but then decided to give up after missing out on a whopping two players. Maybe we could have/should be a bit less picky?

You do realize we lose a ton of production after this year, right? In other words the exact scenario you described above for when it's best to bring in a transfer...

If we're just using transfers to plug holes then so be it, but there are a lot of holes on the 2017 team right now. Tad seems to be aware of this but then decided to give up after missing out on a whopping two players. Maybe we could have/should be a bit less picky?

XJ, White, Fortune and Wes is a ton. Doesn't mean he can't find a JUCO or grad transfer for 2017 who wouldn't be redshirting for a year. They don't all have to be freshmen in the upcoming class.

For this year, I was on board with bringing in Olejniczak, Whitt or Griffin for the reasons you state. I'd still be on board if Tad could land a guy like Jordan Cornish (partially because **** Cal), but there's not a lot left this year.

Like clockwork with you J-R-K. I don't disagree with everything you said, but....

I'm fine with Boyle being picky, but him and his staff have been striking out out an uncomfortable rate the past 2-3 recruiting classes.

Like clockwork with you J-R-K. I don't disagree with everything you said, but....

I'm fine with Boyle being picky, but him and his staff have been striking out out an uncomfortable rate the past 2-3 recruiting classes.
I'm not sure I agree with you considering the 3 spots we got filled this year. But your point remains: our recruiting took a dip after Josh, Fletcher, King (hah!), and Wes came on board.

I'm not sure I agree with you considering the 3 spots we got filled this year. But your point remains: our recruiting took a dip after Josh, Fletcher, King (hah!), and Wes came on board.

I'm not complaining about this year's class, its a good one. Just seems like we've missed on a lot of 'top targets' the past few years. I could be wrong, or just too cranky, or both. Would have been nice to get Ole or Whitt though. I'll say it again, Boyle and staff need to sign a good '17 class. Just has to happen.

Last edited:
Damn Duke got Marcus Bolden today too, their class is sick. I figured he was Kentucky bound. I believe he's from DeSoto. Good Lord man, that school is loaded with talent.

The '17-'18 squad should be fun & competitive but it seems Tad is now forced to push all his chips in on next season being the tide turner.

5 open scholarships could quickly turn into 6 if King takes the next step to being an NBA draft pick or if there's any other attrition next yr. I'm not a pessimist but, spinning that many open scholarships as an "ace in the hole" is anything but reality.

The '17-'18 squad should be fun & competitive but it seems Tad is now forced to push all his chips in on next season being the tide turner.

5 open scholarships could quickly turn into 6 if King takes the next step to being an NBA draft pick or if there's any other attrition next yr. I'm not a pessimist but, spinning that many open scholarships as an "ace in the hole" is anything but reality.
Makes me think of when Okie State signed a class of like 7 or 8 guys and like 3 of them never stepped foot on campus, including their 2 five stars.

Makes me think of when Okie State signed a class of like 7 or 8 guys and like 3 of them never stepped foot on campus, including their 2 five stars.

There's no way you sign a class of 5+ guys & there isn't some form of attrition or chemistry issues. Now, throw in the worst kept secret of DW being a redshirt.
To balance class sizes, Tad's hand is going to be forced one way or the other. It's going to be messy.

There's no way you sign a class of 5+ guys & there isn't some form of attrition or chemistry issues. Now, throw in the worst kept secret of DW being a redshirt.
To balance class sizes, Tad's hand is going to be forced one way or the other. It's going to be messy.

I highly doubt he'll sign 5 freshmen.

I highly doubt he'll sign 5 freshmen.

That's what I meant by Tad's hand being forced one way or the other. He has less flexibility now. He *has* to get at least 1 but really 2 transfers next yr. He *has* to find a guy willing to redshirt. Otherwise, with DW, you have a 6 player class. Then what if another scholarship opens up? There's going to be square parts for round holes. It's inevitable.

Back