What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a Buff?

I was born in a Longhorn-crazed part of Texas and raised by parents who had married while both were attending A&M. Burnt orange was unanimously the most hideous color in the universe and Saturday mornings were spent watching Raycom Sports broadcasts of the Wrecking Crew defense and a running back-exclusive offense while the adults in the home frantically spun white towels while whooping. There were no professional sports franchises for miles. My allegiances would be up for grabs.

When I was 8 we took a long road trip through Colorado with most nights spent near Denver. I can see a good diversity of landscapes within a few hours of my hometown but Red Rocks, RMNP, and Boulder were nothing I had ever seen before. As we drove up Broadway toward Estes Park with the Flatirons to the left and the sandstone campus buildings in between evergreen trees scattered to the right of the car, it was announced to me that I was seeing the University of Colorado, and the football team was the Buffaloes. I replied "This is where I'm going to college." Now, that stint of sleeping through classes on out of state tuition didn't last long for me, but I did it and I have been loud and proud representing my Buffs wherever I've lived since.

Long time Buff fan and Allbuffs lurker. Born and raised in PA. Attended many PSU games as kid, but got tired of all the BS that went with PSU in 80's and how they could never do any wrong all their rabid supporters and gray hairs. One Saturday while watching the Buffs play in the mid 80's, (the start of the Mac 1 days), I just fell in love with them. Never went to CU, but have travelled there a bunch since I was stationed in Fort Riley, KS and I have been a huge supporter since. Took a few classes at KSU while in the military and loved being the only student in the student section of the KSU games dressed in black and gold. Not easy to find the games on TV back here on the east coast. Still though, I do get a couple of "nice shirt" when I am out and about here in central PA. so, there are a few of us fans around.
@Uncle Ken

Because a couple of years ago my daughter ended up going there from Southern California essentially because she made the Dance Team, got offered some good Academic Scholarship Money, and didn't get into the top schools she wanted in the UC system. No regrets; she is thriving and really happy. Class of 2018. I had never stepped foot in Boulder until I moved her into the dorm in August 2014, so I am a total noob. In mitigation, it truly affects my life for the week depending upon whether the Buffs win. I don't know how that happened so suddenly.

Parents both from Iowa (dad an University of Iowa MBA) but born here and been going to Folsom since 1973. Hooked then, Graduated in 1987 and they keep pulling me back in. Season tix since 1990 and Love the Golden Buffaloes with all my soul; guessing they will take 20 years off my life but no looking back now...

Ended up at CU by mistake. I applied as a “back up” never having been there, but I figured it’s the Rocky Mountains, how could that not be cool. Some dominoes fell and that’s where I ended up. Met my future wife there and most of my best friends, even to this day. My first year was 87. Mickey Pruitt was a one man wrecking crew and you could feel it, we were on the way up. It was an awesome ride and I have remained a diehard ever since. Top two away games I attended? Vs Tennessee(Prichard, a receiver, runs for over 200 filling in for Bienemy), Miracle in Michigan. I’ve been brainwashing my three girls for years, with some success. We fly out for a game a year. The incredible experiences I had under the flat irons at CU are innumerable. Boulder is a very magical place. My youngest kid swears she’s going to CU…

Dad was a Buff, Aunt was a Buff. Aunt lived in Sewall and Dad lived in CheyHo.
Both raised in the San Luis Valley.

My story is short. JJ Flannigan is my All-Time favorite Buff. I used to pretend to be both Hagan and Flannigan as I, alone, ran the option play, with the sidewalk being out of bounds. I tight-roped the sideline just like JJ did. Always a Touchdown for COLORADO.
I remember my father jumping with joy when the Miracle in Mich happened. Up to that point in my life, I had never seen my Dad jump for joy like that. I will never forget that moment.

Was a skinny, asshole 21 year old when #1 knowledge u came to town in 2001. One of the best nights of my life. So many years of agony and close games against ****braska. After getting back to our house on the Hill, my first call was to my Dad. I was so proud to be a BUFF.

I have three kids now and that memory still resonates with me. Football is fun again!!!

Went to CU from 92-96. 'Nuff Said.

How I ended up there - made All-State (California/Nevada) skiing my senior year of high school. Thought I was pretty good so I said "self, who's the best ski team in the country? Oh, CU. I'll go there." Yeah, CU's ski team is a different level than a bunch of 'tard high schoolers.

Born into it.

Parents moved into Colorado in '72 and my dad got season tickets that year. I was born in '73. I have been going to games since I can remember. I have never attended a class at CU nor did I even apply to CU. I don't care what kind of fan that makes me.

I have always loved CU and I always will.

Grew up listening to the games on the radio. Often in the car on the way up or back from the mountains for fall hiking. When they won the championship I wouldn't leave the car to go x-mas shopping cause I wanted to listen to the game. I was 7 years old then. My senior year in HS was when I started watching on tv (often had my own sports stuff on saturday so missed a lot). The first game where I got all my friends together to watch was the good old 2001 CU vs NEB lol. Really wanted to go to CU but had a free ride to MSCD. Kinda glad I didn't go to CU cause I would have either flunked out from to many parties or would have died of liver failure. This is my 4th year of season tickets.

How I became a Buff fan
Wisconsin boy.
Badger backer

Back from Nam “The Summer of 69” .................................Great Tune.
In the Fall buddies and I headed to Colorado to buy Coors. They didn’t sell it East of the Mississippi. Banquet Beer Baby. Went into Boulder. Went to a game. No clue as to what the game was or most anything else actually.
Loved Boulder
Oh ya, won money from my buds taking the Buffs straight up in 73 and 74
Graduated UW (That’s Wisconsin for you lawyer boy) in 75 and moved to Beautiful Boulder.
Married a Colorado Girl. 2 degrees from CU. Sister has 2 degrees from CU. Brother has 2 degrees from CU. Their parents are CSU Grads so I root for the Rams when not playing the Buffs.
Season tickets (8) from 85 to 2007. Been to a few games since. Gonna jump back in next year. Yup Fair weather fan. But donate every year, and have a brick. Been to many BB games and WBB games.
That is all. Go Buffs

Survived the Fairbanks era! Granted it was bringing "Buff Punch" in a bota bag into the stadium to help dull the pain.
Met my honey at Tulagis. Told our daughter that if she even remotely considered going to csu, we'd disown her! Now a proud Buff Alum, class of '14

Go Buffs!

Survived the Fairbanks era! Granted it was bringing "Buff Punch" in a bota bag into the stadium to help dull the pain.
Met my honey at Tulagis. Told our daughter that if she even remotely considered going to csu, we'd disown her! Now a proud Buff Alum, class of '14

Go Buffs!
Hahaha, that was a blast from the past hearing the name Tulagis!!!

Long time listener, first time caller.

Born in Denver. Grew up rooting for the Buffs, must have watched the 20-10 video on Betamax 1500 times. Favorite play, even more than Miracle in Michigan, is Jeff Campbell's reverse to open the scoring against the Fuskers. Went to many games with my dad growing up, both football and basketball. Sat in section 107 for the bench clearing game against Miami and still hate Warren Sapp to this day.

Grandfather, both parents, and both siblings are all grads. I got in to the B-School but went to a service academy instead. Watched every game I could, even when living overseas.

Been through ups and downs with both the football and basketball programs, and will always love the Buffs.

Native, used to sit with my dad since I was 4 or 5 planted in front of the TV on Saturdays to watch the boys in Black and Gold. I remember it, but vaguely the Orange Bowl, still have the small sweatshirt my Dad bought me. In high school would go to camps, got to do an unofficial there (Great conversations and stories with Bienemy and Embree - CU was way past my level, to be honest, though, so went on to play D2), went to 4-5 games a year while in high school. Always been a Buff and always will be.

I'm 41.
I'm a colorado springs native.
I remember riding in my grandmother's car listening to a game where they kept yelling, "The Enemy breaks free for another big gain!"

It was constant! I asked my grandma, "Who's the Enemy?"
she said, "The other team."
I said, "who are they talking about running the ball?
she said, "Eric Bienemy. Best RB in college football."

That was my introduction to CU football, really.

I then attending UCCS and got my undergrad (got my masters at DU) but my diploma from UCCS sasy University fo Colorado....and I've been a diehard for life since then.

I wouldn't trade how I became a buff for anything: When I was 10 years old I stepped out of the back door of my parents TCBY store (anyone remember going there?) onto Folsom avenue. We were boosters and had season tickets I had been to 1 or 2 games before. When I opened the door and could hear the students already in the stadium chanting "Orange Bowl" I was in ahh. It was so loud and there were Buff fans everywhere walking up toward the stadium joing in. The chants of Orange Bowl came from all over, you could hear it coming from behind buildings and up and down streets. I was hooked we hardly ever missed a game but when we did we listened to the call of Zim on the radio it was almost as good as being there.

Born in beautiful Fort Morgan, CO. My grandparents met at CU. My dad was always a big fan, took me to games as a little kid. I was born in 84 so I went to a lot of good games growing up. When we didn't go to games, I always watched them on TV or listened to them on KOA. I have fond memories listening to Zimmer during harvest in the fall in a tractor, truck, or combine. Favorite memory was going from crying because we "lost" to Michigan, to pure jubilation when Westbrook caught the Hail Mary. Worst memory was the squib kick/long field goal Nebraska game we lost. I thoroughly documented my behavior after that game in another thread (a disaster).

I'm one of the AllBuffers who didn't go to CU. Applied and was accepted to the engineering department, but made the very very difficult decision to go to Colorado School of Mines instead to study Petroleum Engineering. Despite this, I went to most of the games with buddies who went to CU. My last three years at Mines, I saved enough money farming in the summers to get season tickets and kept them for a few years after I graduated until I moved too far away for work to go to all the games. This was the Hawkins/Embree era. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment.

I love the Buffs. I love the rise. I love being an asshole on Facebook telling people since fall camp that they better get on the bandwagon while there's room. I loved the text from my Rams booster uncle at halftime of the RMS "don't say one ****ing word." I love the camaraderie on AllBuffs. Did I mention I love the Buffs?

Last edited:
1972 - Moved to Boulder at 2 months old
1981 - First game (Jim McMahon and BYU)
1984 - Sold sodas in the stands (GET'CHER COKE HEEERE)
1985-86 - Worked the concessions in Balch - witnessed the last 5 minutes of 20-10
1987-89 - Attended summer football camps.
1990 - Freshman year MNC
1994 - Sr. Year heisman (5 year plan)
2004 - Became Season Ticket holder
2015 - Brought my 6 year-old to her first game (start the cycle anew).

I just don't know anything else. Its in my blood.

It all started sometime in the 1600's when my earliest paternal ancestors came ashore this wonderful country. In the late 1800's my great grandparents moved from their Missouri farm to Colorado on advice of a physician as my great grandmother had developed TB like symptoms. They settled in Boulder where he built a small house on a couple of acres along a creek (the house and creek no longer exist). In 1911, they settled in Weld County taking advantage of the homestead act to stake a claim to land. The life was hard, but he was able to escape the violence of the ongoing mining wars (he was a union leader during those times). My grandfather later rejoined to help on the homestead and eventually established his own house on the adjacent property. His older brother attended CU for one semester in his teens. He learned all he needed to in that one semester and went on to establish a general store and newspaper in a small Weld County town (History Colorado Museum if you want to know more). Eventually my father was born and met my mother.

My maternal great grandparents arrived in the late 1800's settling in southeast Wyoming and southwest Nebraska. My grandparents eventually settled in Logan county establishing a dairy farm. My hatred of Nebraska is amplified by this side of the family (although none actually attended, my Grandmother did go to Kearney College for a year before becoming an English teacher for German immigrants).

What did all of that have to do with me going to CU. Absolutely nothing!!! I was always into space and airplanes growing up. In elementary I wrote to Sen. Tim Worth to get information on the space program. I heard back from him 1 year later (better late than never) with some information and saying he looked forward to my appointment to the Air Force Academy. I always rooted for Air Force and CU growing up. But I knew I would never qualify to follow the dream of being a fighter pilot and astronaut due to hereditary color blindness. In high school I was pretty decent at football, enough to get interest from the Ivy's (Brown, Cornell, and Harvard) and Mines. However none really offered Aerospace Engineering, plus they didn't have athletic scholarships, and the application fee's were high (I was poor, so $100 a pop just to apply seemed steep). I only applied to CU. Mines called me in the spring to see if I was interested in playing, but they sucked at the time and I was set just to go to school. 1st year at CU was fall of '95, graduated in '99. I have had tickets the entire time. I think I only missed a couple games as a student. A little harder to go these days, but I enjoy taking my wife and kids. I never went to a college game as a kid. My greatest achievement is having my son at age 9 already declare that he is going to CU for college and to play football (Class of '26 ATH). Now just got to work on getting my daughter into the same mindset, and save a bunch more for out of state tuition.

I grew up near Eugene as a Ducks fan (hate them now).

I was a brilliant child, and started college when I was 8. It was a Big 10 college, and it was horrible; nobody warned me about the Midwest. At the end of my sophomore year, I stopped in Boulder on my drive home from my ****ty Big 10 school, and was blown away.

I immediately submitted an application to CU and transferred. I started at CU as a junior in 1990. It took me a full three years to finish off that challenging journalism degree, and then I stuck around for a year of grad school, and ultimately left CU in '94. It turns out that 90 to 94 years were pretty good years to be a Buff, if you like football.

Now I'm 35, not as brilliant, and still loving my Buffs.

Born in beautiful Fort Morgan, CO. My grandparents met at CU. My dad was always a big fan, took me to games as a little kid. I was born in 84 so I went to a lot of good games growing up. When we didn't go to games, I always watched them on TV or listened to them on KOA. I have fond memories listening to Zimmer during harvest in the fall in a tractor, truck, or combine. Favorite memory was going from crying because we "lost" to Michigan, to pure jubilation when Westbrook caught the Hail Mary. Worst memory was the squib kick/long field goal Nebraska game we lost. I thoroughly documented my behavior after that game in another thread (a disaster).

I'm one of the AllBuffers who didn't go to CU. Applied and was accepted to the engineering department, but made the very very difficult decision to go to Colorado School of Mines instead to study Petroleum Engineering. Despite this, I went to most of the games with buddies who went to CU. My last three years at Mines, I saved enough money farming in the summers to get season tickets and kept them for a few years after I graduated until I moved too far away for work to go to all the games. This was the Hawkins/Embree era. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment.

I love the Buffs. I love the rise. I love being an asshole on Facebook telling people since fall camp that they better get on the bandwagon while there's room. I loved the text from my Rams booster uncle at halftime of the RMS "don't say one ****ing word." I love the camaraderie on AllBuffs. Did I mention I love the Buffs?
I would have replied "Not even 'Scoreboard'?"

Back