What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Will CU win 2 of the next 5 to become bowl eligible?

If that's the case that's pretty cynical ( and shytty if you ask me). If he thinks the buffs will never be really good again why watch at all?

****ty?

It's realistic

Not a good state for recruiting

Shoddy Administrative Support

Average local and statewide support

Texas elites have been closed off (Example: Jarrod Darden has the speed of a UT tight end)

NO southern elite player is leaving the SEC

No long term contract for coaches

California elites have been closed off

The school can't sell itself to players: Need elite recruiters to do that and they cost! Note: Making Bienemy Offensive Coordinator would help though

Just because I accept the writing on the wall doesn't mean I still can't support, but hope and optimism went out after watching several games against traditional powers and seeing how far the gap between CU and the prominent players are (USC 42-3, Texas 70-3, Every FSU game, Miami 24-3). Sorry, I stopped drinking the coolaide

Again, until they decide to treat players and coaches like SEC schools do well.......get used to the insight bowl (2010-11 may be a blip in the radar however)

If that's the case that's pretty cynical ( and shytty if you ask me). If he thinks the buffs will never be really good again why watch at all?

It's called realism. Yes, for THIS year.

I don't think we'll beat Mizzou or OSU. Everyone else on the schedule is beatable (maybe even OSU).

I think a bowl game and bowl win would be great for CU this year. Others may disagree...

Who mentioned anything about the 'Buffs never being good or dominant again? With Hawkins at the helm I expect the 'Buffs to be competing for national championships, not Big 12 titles. Bohn and Hawkins are a great 1-2 punch that can go a long, long way.

I'm just sayin......positions for 2009 won't be decided during these 15 practices. Give these guys an extra month to rest, eat, and get stronger. Playing Duke in the Texas Bowl or I dunno Southern Miss in the Lake Erie Bowl does not help!

Plus they can concentrate on recruiting full time. Again.....the Texas Bowl's not going to convince Shaq Evans or somebody like that the program is on the up and up

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that NCAA rule requiring weight rooms to be closed and players to fast and experience sleep deprivation during bowl practices. Given that, you are probably right. Better that the players get to rest, eat and get stronger than practice for a bowl game... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately yes

Unless there's a T Boone Pickens type awaiting in the wings
And the University will basically bend over backwards for the football team

It will be damn near impossible to be "prominent" ala perennial top 10.

So, if we are never going to get better anyway, wouldn't it be logical to take bowl experiences whenever and wherever we can get them? Even if it is the Texass or Lake Erie Bowl, why should we pass it up and focus on the future if we're never going to get better anyway?? :confused:

Was this the expectation for this year? With relatively young players?

Give it some time.... CU is on the right track with Bohn and Hawkins.
No...not this year...only after Hawk has time to build the program.

Guys: Either Texas or USC and Oklahoma has to nosedive in order for CU to compete in the top 10 again. Do any of you really see that happening anytime soon?

CU cannot survive on finding diamonds in the rough. For every Dizon or Michael Lewis or Lawrence Vickers they find, there' 3 full recruiting classes full of coal (2004-2006) to minimize that

CU needs a pipeline into one of the top states for recruiting. Which state school is going to allow that happen? Ohio State? Penn State, UGA? Texas, Florida/UM/FSU/USF?, USC? LSU?, Alabama?

Just realistic

Was this the expectation for this year? With relatively young players?

Give it some time.... CU is on the right track with Bohn and Hawkins.

The Buffs are on the right track. The enthusiasm and support of the team is a refreshing change from the last years of the Barnett era. Next year we will have eight OL with starting experience to draw from, so the rushing game will continue to improve (all but six of our rushing yards against KSU were by true freshmen). The WR's can only improve (Blackmon, Darden).

A&M will be the deciding game. Win there, and ISU at home will be a victory and a sixth win. Lose to A&M, and a bowl will be unlikely.

Just realistic

Just realistic:

We should never have made a close game against Georgia in '06.

We should not have blown out Texas Tech in the same year.

We should not have beaten Oklahoma last year.

We should have lost the bowl game last year by 40, not 6.

We should not have gotten Darrell Scott to sign here.

Our defense should not be playing as good this year as they are after losing our two best defenders who were 2nd round draft picks.

**** realistic.

If teams like KU and MU can have outstanding seasons then I see no reason why CU couldn't.

Being a consistent top-10 team is very difficult. That goes for the Oklahomas and the Floridas of the world. With scholarship limits, the cost of running a top program (look at Saban's 4M a year), the effect the media has had on CFB (think of $$$$ and how glamorous CFB has become), how the NCAA protects its own (*cough USC cough*), impatient fanbases, lack of long term coaches, location (location location) for recruiting and how much the University really does have to support the program to ensure long term success in CFB and it's easy to see that CU is at a disadvantage. Then again, there are about 110 other schools like that in the NCAA as well.

That still doesn't mean expectations can't be or shouldn't be high for the program. The program can still definitely return to prominence. It's just certainly not going to be over night, unlike OU when they won the mNC w/Stoops in his 2nd year.

I still see 2 wins on the season against ISU and aTm with NU a tossup. That doesn't mean I won't watch on Saturday for the upset against Mizzou or against OSU when they come to our house.

Oh **** it, we need to win out.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that NCAA rule requiring weight rooms to be closed and players to fast and experience sleep deprivation during bowl practices. Given that, you are probably right. Better that the players get to rest, eat and get stronger than practice for a bowl game... :rolleyes:

No, you can start a planned program during that time for the players. Coaches can put together a better after season recruiting strategy for any 09 "steals" and begin concentrating on the 2010 class in more depth. Anybody who needs surgery get it started a month earlier!

So, if we are never going to get better anyway, wouldn't it be logical to take bowl experiences whenever and wherever we can get them? Even if it is the Texass or Lake Erie Bowl, why should we pass it up and focus on the future if we're never going to get better anyway?? :confused:

No!

If the bowl game is not against someone of note (like last year) or a game with a reputation there's no point.

Last edited:
No!

If the bowl game is not against someone of note (like last year) or a game with a reputation there's no point.

You are terribly mistaken. An extra game gives you extra practices DURING a season, which are valuable, it gives you that extra game (experience for our youngin's like Hansen) and it gives you recruiting power and extra income. Do you really think mid-level bowl games are that worthless? Come on man.

The seniors on this team deserve a bowl game. While I dislike burning a RS, if it would help us get to a bowl game and getting them their due then I'm all for it.

Some of these guys haven't had a winning season, not all, but some. A bowl game leaves open that possibility if we go in at 6-6. If we go in at 7-5, hell yeah! We aren't going to land top recruits by using the "you can play here now line," since our team is so freaking young. We have to prove that we can win and get people on our bandwagon.

Lose and you will have a lot of these guys doubting themselves. That might leave a chip on their shoulder for next year, but that would leave a bitter taste in my mouth and I'm sure in a lot of player's mouths too.

The guys can lift and can strong for the 8 months following their last game. They need more time to learn to play as a team. It'll also give the team some more time to have leaders emerge for next year.

Just realistic:

We should never have made a close game against Georgia in '06. When UGA finally woke up they scored with ease to pull it out

We should not have blown out Texas Tech in the same year. Texas Tech is your example?

We should not have beaten Oklahoma last year. Yeah and it took a lot of Oklahoma incompetence and complacency for that to happen

We should have lost the bowl game last year by 40, not 6. Almost did down 27-0.

We should not have gotten Darrell Scott to sign here. Helps to have a best friend and relative on the team. But a shame that he almost still went to Texas if not for a position coach switch

Our defense should not be playing as good this year as they are after losing our two best defenders who were 2nd round draft picks. They're not! The teams that they've played so far have been downright incompetent on offense :rolleyes: One team that was sufficient scored with ease! The other team had nothing but inexperience on it's offensive line and still produced a running back that ran for 160 yards

**** realistic.

The examples you've used are representative of how far CU has fallen,

You are terribly mistaken. An extra game gives you extra practices DURING a season, which are valuable, it gives you that extra game (experience for our youngin's like Hansen) and it gives you recruiting power and extra income. Do you really think mid-level bowl games are that worthless? Come on man.

Mid level bowl games are definitely worthless. And I think the team basically eats and travels the revenue away during the bowl week. Why risk the injury for a worthless game? And who does the practice really value if the team is going to look different next year?

There's no recruiting power playing in the Fort Worth Bowl! If it is, you're recruiting someone that is either a sleeper or a leftover and you see how that's worked for the Buffs so far!

I'd rather the guys rest up and get prepped for next year.

Guys: Either Texas or USC and Oklahoma has to nosedive in order for CU to compete in the top 10 again. Do any of you really see that happening anytime soon?

Would you have said Michigan or Notre Dame would have nosedived 5 years ago?

The top programs are one ridiculous nfl offer away from losing their head coach, or 2 bad seasons away from firing them.

On the flip side.......

10 years ago USC was a joke.

Nothing lasts forever in college football, the highs or the lows, especially in this age.

Would you have said Michigan or Notre Dame would have nosedived 5 years ago?

The top programs are one ridiculous nfl offer away from losing their head coach, or 2 bad seasons away from firing them.

On the flip side.......

10 years ago USC was a joke.

Nothing lasts forever in college football, the highs or the lows, especially in this age.

Bottom line is that top coaches will leave Colorado for UM and ND. CU is not in the same league by a mile.

Michigan and Notre Dame have the money, tradition, and administrative support to turn it around. Colorado does not. The powers that be have learned from their mistakes from the past (Michigan and ND had the biggest egos so that's while it's taken longer for those 2) and will use their money and power to keep things competitive for decades to come.

Michigan is building a new indoor facility and expanding the stadium NOW. How many years will it take for CU to get that done?

Different league: Michigan has no ceiling, CU does. Until the culture changes at CU on so many levels, they're operating with one arm tied around their back.

And a question for all. The SEC are composed of states of some of the worst academically performing high schools in the country. If this is the case, I would believe that they'd have a harder time getting their recruiting classes admitted into school and even retained. Why don't they have the same problems that CU seems to have when it comes to admitting students athletes?

Last edited:
While I definitely disagree with the premise that CU shouldn't go to a bowl game (bowl practice helps everyone, gives the program a sense of accomplishment on the season - and helps recruiting, too) I don't think it is coincidence that CU's "rise" to prominence occurred at the same time OU and OSU tanked due to NCAA probation. From the time period of 1988 - 1996 CU only had one competitor in the conference - Nebraska. It will take an extraordinary change in circumstances, either in favor of CU or as negative for the other conference powers, for CU to rise to that level again.

I'm just sayin......positions for 2009 won't be decided during these 15 practices. Give these guys an extra month to rest, eat, and get stronger. Playing Duke in the Texas Bowl or I dunno Southern Miss in the Lake Erie Bowl does not help!

Plus they can concentrate on recruiting full time. Again.....the Texas Bowl's not going to convince Shaq Evans or somebody like that the program is on the up and up

We went to a ****ty bowl last year but got to play the storied Alabama program in a portion of the country that is a recruiting hotbed that we don't usually get much exposure. I think it was worthwhile.

I'm glad you're Just sayin', cause that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. This is an inexperienced and raw team that needs all the practice reps it can get.

Why would anyone NOT want a bowl game? CU needs the exposure and extra practices and to minimize the seniors is assanine.:rolleyes::sad2:

A&M will be the deciding game. Win there, and ISU at home will be a victory and a sixth win. Lose to A&M, and a bowl will be unlikely.

ding ding ding we have a winner.... I agree with you 110% there Montana.... the key to the Buffs going to a bowl is a victory in College Station.... and right now I would say its a toss up.... going to need more, lots more, than 350 yards of total offense and 14 points to win at Kyle Field....

****ty?

It's realistic

Not a good state for recruiting: Is Utah? They've produced top (albeit MWC) programs in Utah and BYU. West Virginia plays some HS football, but it's no Texas or Florida. And then there's that hotbed of HS football, Wisconsin (who's down at the moment, but could be considered a regular national power--though at the the moment I hold the MWC in higher regard than the Big Tenish). I'm from Oregon and played High School football there, and I'd be the first to tell you that the level of HS ball isn't on par with the Californians to the South, but the Ducks are rolling right along. Your argument here doesn't hold water.

Shoddy Administrative Support: Dick Tharp (who goes by the alias Buffocrat, from time-to-time, I've heard) is gone. Give Bohn time, he's a PR and money raisin' machine! Next item...Average local and statewide support: Nothing that incremental success couldn't build

Texas elites have been closed off (Example: Jarrod Darden has the speed of a UT tight end): Plenty of elite Texas players leave the state. It's a matter of producing a program that's attractive to them. It's an interative process.

NO southern elite player is leaving the SEC: And the SEC has a whole bunch of powerhouse programs to dilute that talent pool

No long term contract for coaches: And yet Coach Cabral has been here for 20 years.

California elites have been closed off: Josh Smith, MTM, Simas, DS, Dannewitz (I think) and many others. An eye for talent doesn't hurt. You CAN get by on diamonds in the rough. There's this Hansen kid that CU beat out Idaho State for...

The school can't sell itself to players: Need elite recruiters to do that and they cost! Note: Making Bienemy Offensive Coordinator would help though: And yet we just landed a top 25 class coming off of a six win season and a lower-tier bowl loss.

Just because I accept the writing on the wall doesn't mean I still can't support, but hope and optimism went out after watching several games against traditional powers and seeing how far the gap between CU and the prominent players are (USC 42-3, Texas 70-3, Every FSU game, Miami 24-3). Sorry, I stopped drinking the coolaide: It's your right to root for your team, despite your overall pessimism for the future of the program. I drink the Koolaid too, jut more than you. :smile:

Again, until they decide to treat players and coaches like SEC schools do well.......get used to the insight bowl (2010-11 may be a blip in the radar however) And that blip in 2010-2011 should parlay into improved recruiting. It becomes the foundation for the next level. This is an incremental process.

The broad landscape surrounding the world of college football is a dynamic one. It's not just the games and the teams in a given season, but over time. As I frequently post, four members of the current Big XII North Division finished in the final AP Top Ten poll in 1995. Nebraska embarrassed Florida in the Sugar (?) bowl that season by running up over 60 points on that SEC powerhouse. Nobody was talking SEC back then.

There's a cycle. The dynamics that affect and shape that cycle have both predictable and unpredictable elements. Don't believe the future for this program, or for college football in general is set in stone. It's the wildness of this ride that makes it fun. I believe the Buffs will be back!

We went to a ****ty bowl last year but got to play the storied Alabama program in a portion of the country that is a recruiting hotbed that we don't usually get much exposure. I think it was worthwhile.

It was worthwile b/c CU played Alabama. If that would have been Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Miss St, Tulane, or any other lower tiered Southern School it would have been better to have taken a pass.

I'm glad you're Just sayin', cause that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. This is an inexperienced and raw team that needs all the practice reps it can get.

Bowl practices do not help if the dynamics of the team are going to be different the following year! It's a pretty good chance there will be 4 new offensive linemen playing next year 3 of whom won't be cleared for practice until sometime in the spring or summer. So the team can't "gel" on the offensive side of the ball if your offensive line is not set in stone! Nate Nolder still needs to gain weight and strength. The earlier you can get his program started the better! I don't think practicing against Obi, Brace, Lucas, and Herrod is going to make him any better at this point since none of them are world beaters. I don't think spending 7 days worth of practices game planning for "Duke" or "Arkansas" is going to help.

The broad landscape surrounding the world of college football is a dynamic one. It's not just the games and the teams in a given season, but over time. As I frequently post, four members of the current Big XII North Division finished in the final AP Top Ten poll in 1995. Nebraska embarrassed Florida in the Sugar (?) bowl that season by running up over 60 points on that SEC powerhouse. Nobody was talking SEC back then.

There's a cycle. The dynamics that affect and shape that cycle have both predictable and unpredictable elements. Don't believe the future for this program, or for college football in general is set in stone. It's the wildness of this ride that makes it fun. I believe the Buffs will be back!

1. Comparing Colorado to Mountain West Schools is another example of how far CU has fallen off the radar. Oregon has Phil Knight and Nike Money (CU needs someone like this. Both Pac 10 schools in washington have failed b/c of Oregon's success.

2. The fact that incremental success is needed to get people out is an example of how poor the support really is. CU needs live or die fans and supporters, not what have you done lately support.

3. Texas: (Order of recruiting priority 1. Texas 2. Oklahoma 3. LSU & other SEC 4. Other tradition rich school 5.Texas A&M 6. Okie State 7. Nebraska 8. T. Tech 9. Missouri 10. TCU 11. Colorado (used to be top 3 at one time)

4. Each state in the SEC produces enough talent for each of its members to survive on its own more or less. Plus they allow JC's. And since the Conference has been so successful other players from non SEC states wanna come down. Again Money,, tradition, and administrative support is crucial here.

5. California (Order of recruiting priority: 1.USC 2.Oregon 3. UCLA 4. Other tradition rich school (ND, UM etc) 5. Arizona St. 6. Colorado. etc. And other than Simas & Scott......None of the players listed were elite coming out of high school. 3 stars and lower does not equal elite. Again having an eye for talent comes with its successes and its failures.

6. Cabral has been here for 20 years? And? You and other Buff fans are getting real small schoolish about this! The new age of college football is here and money talks! Cabral is here for emotional reasons and I'm glad he's here but the rest of the coaching staff: better deal comes along and its see ya!

7. Keep drinking the cool aid, but you will be disappointed with the results. Again Until there is complete and unanimous support from the adminstration and the state, CU will always be at a disadvantage! Always! You can't look to the Mac era anymore to see the potential, b/c you don't account for the fact that there were many prominent schools that fell asleep at the wheel (Old SWC, Oklahoma, USC, several SEC schools)

8. Those seasons will parlay into recruiting success, but Texas and Oklahoma will still have better recruiting classes. The recruits of tomorrow are watching this years cotton bowl and what I'm predicting will be a rematch in the BCS. CU needs to ease it's recruiting restrictions and bleed all of these schools that get Juco's and questionable academic guys dry. They basically have to play with the devil so to speak to get back into being competitive.

I don't think the college football landscape is so dynamic any more. You got the money and support from the people, you'll compete. If you don't you won't compete. Oregon competes solely due to the infusion of cash that Phil Knight has injected into his alma mater. T Boone Pickens is about to do the same for OSU. And they will also be competitive. CU has the same disadvantages as Oregon, but has no ace in its pocket.

The examples you've used are representative of how far CU has fallen,

Please go visit Netbuffs.com. And stay there. I have never heard such a loser attitude in a Buff fan before. 'Give up and quit so we can hit the weightroom.' 'Lose and quit so we can get stronger'

****ing loser. We don't need Buff 'fans' like you. Go away. There are about a half dozen fusker fans here that are higher on the Buffs than you are. I hate weak kneed pansy loser attitudes and you got it in spades pal.

The seniors deserve a bowl game if they can win enough games to get one. They suffered through Barnetts inept handeling of the scandal, and handled it like men. They deserve the chance to go out with a winning season and showcase for scouts to possibly get a shot at a NFL team.

On top of that, how will it affect recruiting if we went to a bowl game last year, and did not make one (no matter how bad) this year?

Grow a spine and support our team, or go be a bandwagon fan somewhere else.

Please go visit Netbuffs.com. And stay there. I have never heard such a loser attitude in a Buff fan before. 'Give up and quit so we can hit the weightroom.' 'Lose and quit so we can get stronger'

****ing loser. We don't need Buff 'fans' like you. Go away. There are about a half dozen fusker fans here that are higher on the Buffs than you are. I hate weak kneed pansy loser attitudes and you got it in spades pal.

The seniors deserve a bowl game if they can win enough games to get one. They suffered through Barnetts inept handeling of the scandal, and handled it like men. They deserve the chance to go out with a winning season and showcase for scouts to possibly get a shot at a NFL team.

On top of that, how will it affect recruiting if we went to a bowl game last year, and did not make one (no matter how bad) this year?

Grow a spine and support our team, or go be a bandwagon fan somewhere else.

We don't need Buff fans like you! You refuse to see the bigger picture. You're like a Detroit Lions fan that doesn't understand why the team can't compete. The school, the state and football team need to be hand in hand with each other or else it's not going to work!

I don't care about Cornhusker fans!

It won't affect recruiting in either a positive or negative direction if it's a crappy bowl. No one other than Buff fans and those kids that have already committed will be watching the Puerto Rico Bowl (unless it's against Notre Dame then it has value). Alamo Bowl and higher or stay at home.

Get some eyes and see the writing on the wall.

It's not 1989 anymore and moral victories don't account for anything (FSU 16-6 for example)!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We don't need Buff fans like you! You refuse to see the bigger picture. You're like a Detroit Lions fan that doesn't understand why the team can't compete. The school, the state and football team need to be hand in hand with each other or else it's not going to work!

It won't affect recruiting in either a positive or negative direction if it's a crappy bowl. No one other than Buff fans and those kids that have already committed will be watching the Puerto Rico Bowl (unless it's against Notre Dame then it has value). Alamo Bowl and higher or stay at home.

It's not 1989 anymore and moral victories don't account for anything (FSU 16-6 for example)!:rolleyes:

Let's see, who does the Buff team need more, someone telling them they can't compete in the current environment and they should just quit and go play in the weightroom, or someone who is looking for them to go win, get a bowl game, end the season positively and get more practices to keep building as a team. Hmmmmmm. Who who who?

Someone who looks for reasons to fail, tries to convince others why they should accept failure, why they can't win---LOSER!!!

Someone who understands there are gaps in fan support, funding, talent, and a high amount of injuries and youth on the team--but looks for ways to increase experience (unlike you, who want the youth to stay inexperienced I guess, as more practices and one more games gives them more of the above) and for them to develop a standard of 'no matter how many injuries, how tough the schedule is, we overcome and get a bowl game every year' mentality.

If all Buff fans were like you, CU would not have a Buff football team. You have a quitters attitude. If you were on the team, you would have quit by now I am sure. You can read all over your statements that the desire to drag others down to your level of subpar standards is all over you like stink on ****. When you learn to have a winners attitude, to learn how to think about how to overcome obsticals and negative to succeed instead of using them as reasons to quit, then I will pay attention to what you have to say. It's not like winners win all the time, but truely successful people learn from mistakes and failures and find ways to win anyway. They keep getting up and fighting the fight, they do not accept reasons for failure and give up.

I wouldn't come on here with 28 posts and start calling people out who have been here for years. Take this **** to Huskerpedia, because we are starting to sound like those delusional phuks.

Back