What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner places Colorado among bottom 4 Pac-12 jobs in MBB

I like the consistency with hoops. I want to see a run, though, while this freshman class is at CU. I'll start losing patience if we don't see the 2nd weekend of the Dance some time in the next 4 years.
You're more patient than me. I want more.

We all want more. But let's say that in the next 4 years we have 1 NIT, 2 first round/ rd of 32 exits and 1 sweet 16 exit. I would think expectations have gotten out of alignment with reality if that didn't satisfy people as a really good coaching job at CU.
That would be a good run, and I'll take it for sure.

What if we don't have the sweet 16 run? Still a good coaching job, but probably not exciting enough to start building a bigger fan following for hoops. We definitely need a team that is capable of making that run every so often. A team folks can call dangerous if they make it past the first round. If you think our young guns have that potential, then I'm psyched!

That would be a good run, and I'll take it for sure.

What if we don't have the sweet 16 run? Still a good coaching job, but probably not exciting enough to start building a bigger fan following for hoops. We definitely need a team that is capable of making that run every so often. A team folks can call dangerous if they make it past the first round. If you think our young guns have that potential, then I'm psyched!

I think the consistency part is important. I look at a program like Oklahoma that seems to be pretty bad most years and then makes an Elite 8 or Final Four run every now and then. I'd love to have those runs, but if you watch college hoops on tv you notice that their fans are total bandwagoners and the arena's a ghost town during the bad years. So, yeah, I'd still be on board with the job Tad's doing if I don't see that 2nd weekend of the Dance any time soon as long as he's averaging over 20 wins a year, winning a game or two in the Pac-12 tourney every year, and making the Dance most years. Not being patient with a winner would be a mistake. Let's not be a program that's constantly chasing the dragon.

What we have in Boulder is a fan base that largely got really excited about CBB really quickly because the program had some talent, and then when the cycle turned (and it happens often at programs on Colorado's level) they ditched the program because they didn't realize how fickle sustained success is for most programs.

Now, we're at a point where the fans have much higher expectations for the program than the administration. While I understand how and why that happens, it isn't reasonable to expect more from the program than we've seen until the admin holds it to a higher standard and SUPPORTS it according to that standard.

Now, we're at a point where the fans have much higher expectations for the program than the administration. While I understand how and why that happens, it isn't reasonable to expect more from the program than we've seen until the admin holds it to a higher standard and SUPPORTS it according to that standard.

I'm terrified we're going to get a situation where the admin holds it to a higher standard and keeps its support at current levels. In which case we can all get ready for a return to the Kal Bay-era Buffs.

This isn't a hollow discussion, either. Boyle has been growing more and more frustrated by what he sees as a lack of institutional support and he's voicing it.

This isn't a hollow discussion, either. Boyle has been growing more and more frustrated by what he sees as a lack of institutional support and he's voicing it.
Serious question as I don't follow hoops as closely... What kind of support is lacking from CU and the AD?

Serious question as I don't follow hoops as closely... What kind of support is lacking from CU and the AD?
As soon as I read that from YngC I was immediately thinking about the lack of involvement from the AD in supporting the growth of the C-Unit. We have had this conversation quite a few times here so I won't rehash it further, but the AD needs to step up big time in this department. A full student section can have such an impact on the games. The CU AD needs to improve their support of this area. Quickly.

I'm terrified we're going to get a situation where the admin holds it to a higher standard and keeps its support at current levels. In which case we can all get ready for a return to the Kal Bay-era Buffs.

Yep. For example, little Gonzaga private school with under 10k students leases a private plane for its basketball team and has been doing so for a decade. Road trips, recruiting, whatever. When do we get an academics & admissions counselor, a nutritionist, recruiting directors, GAs and interns, etc. for basketball like our football program has? The staff wouldn't need to be anywhere near as large, but there's definitely room to add a few people if we're serious about this. The benefit to the football program proves the worth of it.

As soon as I read that from YngC I was immediately thinking about the lack of involvement from the AD in supporting the growth of the C-Unit. We have had this conversation quite a few times here so I won't rehash it further, but the AD needs to step up big time in this department. A full student section can have such an impact on the games. The CU AD needs to improve their support of this area. Quickly.
But that can't possibly be even remotely close to the type of "institutional support" that YngC is referring to or that Tad is voicing frustration over.

Did you know that CU Video doesn't do basketball stuff? The hoops team gets Buffvision.

But that can't possibly be even remotely close to the type of "institutional support" that YngC is referring to or that Tad is voicing frustration over.

No. However it is a strong indicator IMO, since that problem is one that is relatively cheap and easy to fix. This AD doesn't really care. At least not right now.

No. However it is a strong indicator IMO, since that problem is one that is relatively cheap and easy to fix. This AD doesn't really care. At least not right now.
I wouldn't say the AD doesn't really care; it just seems like they are putting basketball on the back burner while trying to fix the AD's meal ticket first.

I wouldn't say the AD doesn't really care; it just seems like they are putting basketball on the back burner while trying to fix the AD's meal ticket first.

I have no problem with them making football the priority. Financially that is the only thing that makes sense. It is possible to do both though, and they aren't.

Great. Stop gutting things that worked. You skipped over it, but the C-Unit thing was a HUGE **** up on RG's side. You can't tell me that the $50k or whatever they spent on that, as well as the 1-2 hours a month working with the kids wasn't worth it. $50k is a damn rounding error in this AD. No sane person will argue that basketball should be getting the funding/support that football does, but you shouldn't drop the ball on stupid little things in the process.

I have no problem with them making football the priority. Financially that is the only thing that makes sense. It is possible to do both though, and they aren't.
Eh, I think they are trying to do what they can with basketball (new facilities, new jumbotron, naming rights, sound system, etc), while obviously focusing most of their resources on football and the endowment. I just don't think they are in a financial position to do both at the level we would all like.

Eh, I think they are trying to do what they can with basketball (new facilities, new jumbotron, naming rights, sound system, etc), while obviously focusing most of their resources on football and the endowment. I just don't think they are in a financial position to do both at the level we would all like.

The big ticket you use in your argument, the facilities, was Bohn.

Also dangled the carrot for a trip to Vegas for the tournament, lottery for students who attended a requisite number of games at CEC.
Increase social media presence. Thats big for players.
Update video montage to include recent highlight clips of Peters, Brown, and Siewart.
Make them recognizable to the fans.
Autographs and Photo Opportunities

Also dangled the carrot for a trip to Vegas for the tournament, lottery for students who attended a requisite number of games at CEC.
Increase social media presence. Thats big for players.
Update video montage to include recent highlight clips of Peters, Brown, and Siewart.
Make them recognizable to the fans.
Autographs and Photo Opportunities
you know, 21st century marketing and shi.t

They aren't trying, that's the point. This isn't just something we're talking about or bringing up here, it's happening inside the program. The players feel invisible to this administration. Boyle wants more resources. The arena is decades behind the times. Even *free* initiatives are nowhere to be seen.

it's sounding like the harrington era but without the Gatorade/ Powerbar t-shirts and ID stickers

They aren't trying, that's the point. This isn't just something we're talking about or bringing up here, it's happening inside the program. The players feel invisible to this administration. Boyle wants more resources. The arena is decades behind the times. Even *free* initiatives are nowhere to be seen.

Social media outreach is "free"
Video production is "free" (they already have the equipment and software for the football guys)
Providing encouragement for the students to fill the stands is a drop in the bucket

I don't think anyone is saying we need to give MBB a $10m budget like Gonzaga has, but Tad and JR need assistance.

Great. Stop gutting things that worked. You skipped over it, but the C-Unit thing was a HUGE **** up on RG's side. You can't tell me that the $50k or whatever they spent on that, as well as the 1-2 hours a month working with the kids wasn't worth it. $50k is a damn rounding error in this AD. No sane person will argue that basketball should be getting the funding/support that football does, but you shouldn't drop the ball on stupid little things in the process.
I'm honestly not arguing with you about any of this. I'm trying to gain a better understanding about what aspects in MBB needs more support and what the priorities are. I skipped over the student stuff because I can't possibly believe that's the #1 thing that is being neglected or needs more support for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the stuff Buffnik mentioned are far more pressing.

I'm honestly not arguing with you about any of this. I'm trying to gain a better understanding about what aspects in MBB needs more support and what the priorities are. I skipped over the student stuff because I can't possibly believe that's the #1 thing that is being neglected or needs more support for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the stuff Buffnik mentioned are far more pressing.

The stuff Nik mentioned are likely bigger needs, no doubt. Those will also be quite expensive and likely lead to needing more space at the court sport training facility. However they could be doing the little stuff with minimal budget impact right now and they aren't. That is the problem.

I missed it. What basketball-facility naming rights are currently up for sale?

Back