What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would we have beaten csu and toledo with Hansen in?

If we had landed Landry Jones he be the starter and we'd be undefeated. Would crank out the next 4 Big XII titles and 3 MNCs. And Klatt would have to complain about the Colorado being too small on our uniforms.

No way LJ would've still been learning the nuances and probably wouldn't have gotten the reins any faster than TH.

I am not sure Hansen is the savior that we are all making him out to be....I hope he is, but if we lose tomorrow and TH is mediocre, what will you guys be saying then....would we have beaten KSju with Cody in?

We need to look forward, not back. Don't give a rat's arse about CSU or Toledo....

If you permit somebody to give you a dirty sanchez, Skiddy, it doesn't technically count as a 'stache.

I can't exactly put my finger on what you might be actually saying, but something about it stinks.

Not sure about Toledo and CSU, but we probably would've beaten Texas if Hansen was the starter since the start of the season.

To the original question:

We *know* that we lost those games with Cody at QB. We *might* have won them with Hansen. Especially since the CSU game was so close anyway and Toledo was largely a hangover from the CSU game on a short week. But I think that playing Burney at SS both of those games would have done more to change the result than starting Hansen.

I don't think Cody was the problem against CSU (I think he was half of the problem against Toledo), and its impossible to say(unless you were at practices, which I wasn't) how far along Tyler was at the start of the season, but one thing that has been overlooked is that Tyler had the advantage of coming in with very little pressure on him. Having Cody hang himself against WVU and Texas made things a lot easier for whoever followed him. Nobody can really say that Tyler isn't the guy moving forward, unless Tyler plays really, REALLY bad for the rest of the season.

it wasn't just hansen, of course.

did you see woelk's column before the ku game last week? he said that hawkins needs to loosen the reigns and let his assistants make decisions.

being that woelk is very close to the program, this tells me that hawkins was (or maybe still is) overruling decisions by the assistants.

this would include, obviously, deciding which players are on the field.

have you noticed that in addition to the qb change, we've also seen different guys see the field on defense? and, not coincidentally, all the new guys who seem to be seeing more time all appear to be more athletic than the guys they are taking time from?

i think the hansen thing is a symptom of a larger problem that maybe, just maybe, is being addressed now.

woelk, i think, was gently trying to lean on hawk to loosen the reigns. maybe he got the message?

Aha!! I've been saying that I thought Hawkins was a micromanager for a few weeks now. Everything has pointed to it. I believe he has insisted on having the final say on who plays and when they play since the Montana State debacle. I think it finally blew up last week. Here is the article you are talking about.
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13581946

As far as the question in the thread regarding the first 2 games. I would say the chances of Colorado winning those 2 games was probably greater if Dan Hawkins had stayed out of micromanaging personnel in general, not just the quarterback position.
And don't forget, blood is always thicker than water.

Would we have won the two games? Who knows, the point about Hansen coming in with very little pressure made by BuffsRising is a good one. What I do know is that Hansen adds a completely different element of athleticism to the offense when he is playing. I have no doubt that he is still going to have some growing pains as he adjust to leading the offense. At the same time his mobility means that teams always have to be aware of him as a runner, DEs have to be more worried about the outside contain and can't just pin their ears back and go for the little guy in the pocket on passing situations. The mobility also means he can more effectively scramble or do planned rolls giving the recievers more time to develop their routes and he clearly is more of a threat to throw the ball mid to deep than Cody was this year.

I agree that CSU dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage. At the same time part of why they could dominate on D was that they figured out early that they had little reason to respect Cody as a runner or as a deep passer. When they got ahead they felt comfortable getting very agressive.

On Offense, CSU also gained a lot of confidence with the idea that as long as they didn't screw up they had the game since CU lacked the firepower to come back.
Had CU gained some respect by scoring early after the CSU opening drive and shown that they had to be dealt with the whole game may have been different.

Probably would have lost those games for the reasons mentioned, but there's little doubt Hansen should have been starting all season, and the Buffs would be a better team for it now.

I don't think Cody was the problem against CSU (I think he was half of the problem against Toledo), and its impossible to say(unless you were at practices, which I wasn't) how far along Tyler was at the start of the season, but one thing that has been overlooked is that Tyler had the advantage of coming in with very little pressure on him. Having Cody hang himself against WVU and Texas made things a lot easier for whoever followed him. Nobody can really say that Tyler isn't the guy moving forward, unless Tyler plays really, REALLY bad for the rest of the season.

Why would he have very little pressure on him. I don't understand that comment. He has just as much pressure as any other starter and probably a little more since he is the QB and expectations have been made sky high by the fans and the media.

toledo looked like the florida gators against us. that is a game that i will never get. nothing pissed me off more than that disaster. that was a national embarassment. no way does hansen save that game. i think we look a lot better right now.

Back