What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your feelings about Bill McCartney being the next CU head coach

Your feelings about Coach Mac being the next CU head coach

• Thrilled, Mac is a legend

Votes: 73 73.7%
  • Is this a joke, the guy hasn't coached in 16 years

Votes: 26 26.3%

• Total voters
National search to get a big name like Hawkins 5 years ago? I've got no problem doing a national search because this year we might be top or 2nd best job opening in the country. But if we can't find a huge name, I'm all for bring Mac back instead of an "meh" hire. With Mac we get somebody truly dedicated to Colorado who is so well respected he can assemble an incredible staff that will take care of the current coaching trends implementation.

Mac knows what it takes to win here.
Mac is still an incredible motivator, listen to him speak, you will want to run through a wall for him.
Mac knows a lot of people and should be able to get a good staff
Speaking of staff, that is the key. Has anyone ever seen Mac's coaching tree? Mac used to hardly do any coaching, he would give two motivational speaches a week. One on Wednesday and one on Friday night before the game. Other than that, most of the coaching was from his assistants. This is something he still could do.

Bring back Mac with EB as OC and Cabral as DC. Simple plan for success IMO!!!

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind advocating for McCartney. There's a bit of 'let's hire Chuck Fairbanks' rationale evident. Yes, he was good once, but that was long ago. As someone said, it's nostalgia. I was looking for a less symbolic choice and someone with recent experience as a coach and recruiter.

Hiring Mac would be a feel good story for about a year and then reality will set in and at 70+ years old, trying to figure out how things have passed him by, the luster will fade and we will have lost a huge supporter in him forever. It's not a good move. It's a knee jerk reaction that has high potential to fail.

IMO - the main qualification for the next coach should be a great recruiter. I don't think Mac can necessarily connect with kids 50 years younger. If you can get some talent in here, any coach can win some games. Lets be honest, any coach on our list today (with perhaps the exception of Logan, that's crazy talk) could have won half the games Hawkins lost, starting with Kansas last week.

I've been sore at Mac for leaving in the first place.

He sure provided a great thrill the first time.

The key concern I have is whether he can still assemble a collection of quality assistants instead of long-shots, retreads, and bargain basement high school coaching talent.

Don't think its so black and white as the pole shows but its rare that anything really is. Would be on board if he brings in Bienemy and a couple of other guys of that caliber - Mac can absolutely do it but he needs to bring in some top assistants in order to get off on the right foot with recruiting. Once he has a couple of good classes and the ball starts rolling the rest will take care of itself - His biggest challenge will be trying to get the first couple of classes to buy in and believe that he's not to old or been out too long.

Of the guys who are realistic candidates, I think Mac would be the biggest draw for potential ACs. I also think he has enough pull with the U and the press to get them paid what they're worth.

He has 5 yrs coordinator exp under one of the best coaches in CFB history. 13 yrs head coaching exp in a bigboy conference. 36-3-3 conference record his last 6 yrs at CU. 3 conference titles, and a nat'l championship under his belt. Players' coach. Loads of charisma. Awesome communication skills. Good in the living room. Great with the press. yadda yadda yadda. And he can start recruiting before the ink dries on his contract.

So he's 70? So what. Get this done by mid-December and all is forgiven, Bohn.

Of the guys who are realistic candidates, I think Mac would be the biggest draw for potential ACs. I also think he has enough pull with the U and the press to get them paid what they're worth.

He has 5 yrs coordinator exp under one of the best coaches in CFB history. 13 yrs head coaching exp in a bigboy conference. 36-3-3 conference record his last 6 yrs at CU. 3 conference titles, and a nat'l championship under his belt. Players' coach. Loads of charisma. Awesome communication skills. Good in the living room. Great with the press. yadda yadda yadda. And he can start recruiting before the ink dries on his contract.

So he's 70? So what. Get this done by mid-December and all is forgiven, Bohn.

Not to mention --- cash will be flowing like crazy.

IMO - ... I don't think Mac can necessarily connect with kids 50 years younger.

That's a big part of it. Whoever becomes HC will need to work with the current team as well as selling recruits on CU. I'm not sure that McCartney's name sells with potential recruits who lack the fond feelings that our fanbase has for McCartney. And he's not going to have the stellar group of assistants coming in with him this time. McCartney was a great closer but it helps greatly to have great position coaches helping with the recruiting.

He hasn't lost any of his charisma, will inspire and fire up everyone around him. Have confidence that he'd bring in some good coaches who can get the job done. He very well respected and has some pull with CU and the community. There is nothing not to like.

seriously? nothing not to like? were you old enough to follow events when he left? he was pushed out because he had become an embarrassment, sending out religious clap trap on University stationary. we have been a national joke for many years now, and it began with "Mac." and i dont want to hear about how great he was on the field. our "national championship" came via 2 horrendous officiating calls -- fifth down at Mizzou and ghost clip against Notre Dame. and the team was heavily populated by questionable characters, several of whom it turns out were on payroll of agents. Mac ran a program akin to Barry Switzer's OU program. only difference was Barry wasnt a hypocrite and didnt bother with the religious smoke screen

I would like to see a long term solution, not a short term one. McCartney had his day but the time for something else is upon the Buffaloes football team now IMO.

seriously? nothing not to like? were you old enough to follow events when he left? he was pushed out because he had become an embarrassment, sending out religious clap trap on University stationary. we have been a national joke for many years now, and it began with "Mac." and i dont want to hear about how great he was on the field. our "national championship" came via 2 horrendous officiating calls -- fifth down at Mizzou and ghost clip against Notre Dame. and the team was heavily populated by questionable characters, several of whom it turns out were on payroll of agents. Mac ran a program akin to Barry Switzer's OU program. only difference was Barry wasnt a hypocrite and didnt bother with the religious smoke screen

Shut the **** up, UBT.

I won't deny Mac has some baggage but the program wasn't run as wild as Switzer. Players were shooting themselves at OU.. That didn't happen here at CU under Coach Mac.

I won't deny Mac has some baggage but the program wasn't run as wild as Switzer. Players were shooting themselves at OU.. That didn't happen here at CU under Coach Mac.

I don't remember any starting QB's at CU being arrested by the Feds for dealing cocaine, either.

fair enough, but it wasnt squeaky clean. biggest factor in all this discussion is recruiting point. dont see him being effective with today's 18 year olds. Bienemy was a great recruiter, but he isnt coming back in that role and if you look at all the top programs, it is one or two assistants who run the recruiting effort, not the HC

fair enough, but it wasnt squeaky clean. biggest factor in all this discussion is recruiting point. dont see him being effective with today's 18 year olds. Bienemy was a great recruiter, but he isnt coming back in that role and if you look at all the top programs, it is one or two assistants who run the recruiting effort, not the HC

Show me a top-10 FB program completely free of scandal for 10 yrs. Seriously. I want to see the unicorn they ride to the games.

Mac wouldn't be my first choice, but if they go that way, OK.

:yeahthat:

I'd like to see a DC or OC at a major BCS program who is looking for his first head coaching gig. Kinda like what Crowder did when he hired Mac in '82. I would be 100% on board if Mac is the guy, but then again I'll be 100% on board with whoever they hire.

I like the Mac, w/ EB in waiting scenario. Jon Embree, Brian Cabral as assts, with some other good new talent for the other assts.

Failing that, then Les Miles.

This board is too swamped to be letting trolls run loose in here. Time to clean up the little things around here.

Back