What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your final thoughts on 2018 recruiting class?

Mainly, no matter how much you complain, it takes time to build talent for perennial 8+ win teams when starting from rock-bottom. This is especially true in low talent states where football isn’t king (proudly).

Takes time? It's year 6.

Fair enough. I just don’t know how to quanitively State my expectations. I just want to see a better team on the field.

I think you are not outright saying it, but it seems like a bowl game is the baseline expectation for just about everyone. I cannot imagine there is anyone who follows this program closely is going to be happy if we are sitting at home again in December.

I think you are not outright saying it, but it seems like a bowl game is the baseline expectation for just about everyone. I cannot imagine there is anyone who follows this program closely is going to be happy if we are sitting at home again in December.
Bowl invitations are given to almost every team playing .500 ball. Seems like relatively low standards for a program with the overall pedigree that CU has.

Bowl invitations are given to almost every team playing .500 ball. Seems like relatively low standards for a program with the overall pedigree that CU has.
Hence why I believe it's the baseline expectation. When you play 2 OOC games vs teams like New Hampshire and Colorado State, is it really unreasonable to expect a record of 4-6 the rest of the way? Last year was worse because they played CSU, Northern CO, and Texas State in OOC and just needed to go 3-6 the rest of the way and couldn't do it.

Sure, the baseline expectation is a bowl game, but I would personally be disappointed at 6-6, and some folks here would view it as sufficient grounds to break out the pitchforks. I would like to see a winning record in conference play (5-4) at least, which should result in a 7 or 8 win season. That seems reasonable to me for 2018; at least right now.

Sure, the baseline expectation is a bowl game, but I would personally be disappointed at 6-6, and some folks here would view it as sufficient grounds to break out the pitchforks. I would like to see a winning record in conference play (5-4) at least, which should result in a 7 or 8 win season. That seems reasonable to me for 2018; at least right now.

I would be satisfied to make a bowl but I would be disappointed to only reach 6 wins. Merely because then I would have to start questioning if the coaching staff is doing their jobs getting their recruits ready to perform.

But to be honest 2019 might be the start of when we see the 2017 class and 2018 classes start to come to fruition. We’re building depth right now that we didn’t have before and at some point it has to come to a culmination and lead to winning CONSISTENTLY and a few higher rated recruits. I don’t give the staff passes but can anyone honestly say you could have convinced a 4-5 star athlete in the past 5 years to come waste away at CU? We were an embarrassment outside of 2016. I get the whole “year 6, time to win, no excuses” nonsense. But, we were a dumpster diving, homeless, toothless meth head trying to convince a Victoria’s Secret model to come live with us and date us and love us and commit to us. Lol

Well luckily all of us know how to perfectly fix the buffs but it's a bummer that none of us actually have a say. I think it takes time to build the talent pool. This recruiting class has a lot of talent that the websites suggest. MM and company have been building the brand in Colorado, while mainting recruits who receive big time offers. IMO he is building a very solid program and I disagree with anyone who says a new coach will make us better faster. How would disrupting the consistent improvement with a transition class and new systems/coaches make us better? If anything we would see the top talent in Colorado be looking elsewhere for tenure and stability while enduring more mediocrity.

Well luckily all of us know how to perfectly fix the buffs but it's a bummer that none of us actually have a say. I think it takes time to build the talent pool. This recruiting class has a lot of talent that the websites suggest. MM and company have been building the brand in Colorado, while mainting recruits who receive big time offers. IMO he is building a very solid program and I disagree with anyone who says a new coach will make us better faster. How would disrupting the consistent improvement with a transition class and new systems/coaches make us better? If anything we would see the top talent in Colorado be looking elsewhere for tenure and stability while enduring more mediocrity.

Then the expectations should increase right? He needs to put a couple winning seasons together, I don't want him gone, I want him to win and not rely on senior laden class to get 6 or more wins.

He needs to get the momentum back in the program that he had in 2016 and build on that.

6-6 should always be the bare minimum, I mean, 6 is a lot of losses. For me, we have to string consecutive winning seasons together before we're officially recovered.

Failure to land a big time recruiting class after the 10 win season is a giant red flag to me.

Haven't tracked who we were in on in November of 2016, but wonder how much the following effected the signed class..

1.) Crushed in 2nd half of PAC12 Championship
2.) Bowl game result
3.) Tumpkin saga
4.) Leavitt leaving with so much chatter that he should stay instead of MM, and was the real mastermind.

The 10 win season and COY for MM seem to have been quickly washed away by negativity. The class wasn't as good as it should have been, and not sure much has been good till this off-season.

The question to me is if MM can get back on track, and this off-season suggests he can....need to keep positive things happening and prove it on the field. If he can have a winning season and a bowl, then want him to stick around and keep charging.

7-5 is my baseline. 6-6 gets iffy. If MikMac cannot field a winner 2 out of 6 years I think it is fair to question if he will ever win consistently at CU. IF CU finishes in the P12 cellar again, I will be in favor of pulling the plug and starting over.

Wait, so you believe they LACK the talent to win 6-7 games or you believe they HAVE the talent to win 6-7 games?
I believe the talent is absolutely there. I'd say that the minimum for this season is 7-6 after the post-season. Less than that and I think it's a team that under-performed. Anything over 8 wins and I'd say it's a team that maximized its talent.

I believe the talent is absolutely there. I'd say that the minimum for this season is 7-6 after the post-season. Less than that and I think it's a team that under-performed. Anything over 8 wins and I'd say it's a team that maximized its talent.
Ok, so following up on lefty's post, would a great coaching staff really be starting over in 2019 if Mac was fired? If this team is a 7 win team with this staff, who we all seem to have serious questions about their ability to motivate, make adjustments, call plays, recruit, etc, where would a great coaching staff have them record-wise in 2019, and even 2020?

Wait, so you believe they LACK the talent to win 6-7 games or you believe they HAVE the talent to win 6-7 games?
Hmmmm, close. There is a great deal of talent at the skill positions, I would even go so far as to say better than most of the teams CU will face. The trenches remain a serious problem. If you can't win up front, it is hard to win consistently. Even with all the speed, I do not think it outside the realm of possibility to see a 5-7 type implosion from lack of quality OL and DL play.

Ok, so following up on lefty's post, would a great coaching staff really be starting over in 2019 if Mac was fired? If this team is a 7 win team with this staff, who we all seem to have serious questions about their ability to motivate, make adjustments, call plays, recruit, etc, where would a great coaching staff have them record-wise in 2019, and even 2020?
I don't think it is a coaching problem. I think MikMac runs a pretty sound program X and O wise. The problem has been the apparent inability to recruit/develop sufficient numbers of quality OL and DL. That is the problem.

I don't think it is a coaching problem. I think MikMac runs a pretty sound program X and O wise. The problem has been the apparent inability to recruit/develop sufficient numbers of quality OL and DL. That is the problem.
I think Mac is an extremely bright X's and O's coach and I think he's really good at "coaching the coaches", specifically on the defensive side, but what about his game day coaching? Just as we blame two dropped passes by Shay and Winfree in the ASU and UCLA games on the difference between 5-7 and 7-5, what about his questionable coaching decisions (fake FG to end the half against UCLA to name one) during games?

We have lots of data now on MM after half a decade. When you discount the JL years, it looks like we are playing high level G5 football and that is the likely trend moving forward.

I think MM runs a cleaner program than anyone in P5 football. Recruiting is the knee-jerk answer for folks here, but I don't think that is the major problem and if anything a symptom. Decent Xs and Os guy. MM is a great secondary coach, but probably at the cost of being a better head coach (thus the extra coaching pos this year). I worry that his leadership may be under-powered. Promoting a family atmosphere is cool, but it is also pretty easy. Seems much harder to push people to the edge of what they can do and walk that thin line, but I'd bet anyone that's needed for players to kill it in the off-season, for assistants to make that extra phone call, etc...

Hopefully the experience, new coaches and the ability to focus as a head coach pay off for him in 18. If it doesn't I don't think you can fix what's broke.

I think Mac is an extremely bright X's and O's coach and I think he's really good at "coaching the coaches", specifically on the defensive side, but what about his game day coaching? Just as we blame two dropped passes by Shay and Winfree in the ASU and UCLA games on the difference between 5-7 and 7-5, what about his questionable coaching decisions (fake FG to end the half against UCLA to name one) during games?
Yeah, he's not a great 2 minute guy.

Back