What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your top coaching candidates

I like Mac, but he burned out on the job 15 years ago and now he's 70 or so. I like Belotti, but to a lesser extent, it's the same story as Mac. I like Pirate Mike, but he's not going to bite his tongue and he'd drive the good citizens of Boulder insane.

Eric Bienimi is an assistant head coach at the pro level. He's not going to leave that job to be a job trainee under Mac.

Give him the damn job (IF he'll take it).

I also Love Calhoun, if he'd be interested.

how old is Kyle Shanahan.....maybe 30 at most? he played with Chris Simms IIRC. Calhoun, I look at. not a fan of retreads. Malzahn, maybe. Mooch, no semi-retirement gigs.

Miles is a disaster waiting to happen. i have OK State family and they said Miles' Cowboy teams were thugs....and while maybe some thug is good....they say the whole town of Stillwater breathed a sigh of relief when Gundy ran a lot of those guys off muy pronto. Terrible fit in Boulder, imo. and you can probably kiss that stellar 2.6 team GPA goodbye is Lester comes to town. in principle, don't care who it is, hiring a guy who just got canned....is something to avoid. i'd rather try something new.

Kyle Shannahan has been an offensive coordinator in the NFL for 3 years already. Everyone that I read believes he will be the youngest HC in NFL history (Tomlin was 34 I believe, as was McDaniels). Kyle is 31. He has more experience than many people that we're batting around as candidates anyway, and would be a good recruiter given his age and ability to relate to young people.

We'll only have 1 shot at him -- now. He won't be available in 3-4 years, so I say take a shot on someone like him over a retread.

Kyle Shannahan has been an offensive coordinator in the NFL for 3 years already. Everyone that I read believes he will be the youngest HC in NFL history (Tomlin was 34 I believe, as was McDaniels). Kyle is 31. He has more experience than many people that we're batting around as candidates anyway, and would be a good recruiter given his age and ability to relate to young people.

We'll only have 1 shot at him -- now. He won't be available in 3-4 years, so I say take a shot on someone like him over a retread.

Sorry..but the career track he's on I can't see Kyle Shanahan wanting to touch the CU job with a 10 foot pole, its not going to happen.

Sorry..but the career track he's on I can't see Kyle Shanahan wanting to touch the CU job with a 10 foot pole, its not going to happen.

Agree. It's the pro game he understands and has been groomed for. He doesn't need to roll the dice on the CU job.

I guess that's my point -- we'd be lucky to get him. I was responding to someone that was telling me he's too young to be considered for the CU post.

Bienemy (with Mac as a co-HC/advisor for a year or two), Belotti or Patterson would be my top choices. I don't think Patterson would take it, though. At this point, CU would be a step down from TCU.

Wow. I honestly have no idea. Perhaps we could lure a coach away from another program. Hopefully a BCS program.

All I'm sure of at this point is I don't want to see Belotti as our next coach.

I'm not so sure about that. But I'm biased. :lol:

TCU pays him $2.5 million a year and his team is perpetually in the top 10 as of late. Do you think it's a step up or down to come somewhere that will ask him to take a paycut and coach a ****ty team?

TCU pays him $2.5 million a year and his team is perpetually in the top 10 as of late. Do you think it's a step up or down to come somewhere that will ask him to take a paycut and coach a ****ty team?

Plus he has much better facilities at TCU and a bevy of in-state talent.

It's the longest of longshots, but I think you have to at least call Muschamp. Mack doesn't seem like he's in any hurry to step aside at UT, so maybe you could lure him away if we could pay him big time dollars. We haven't been at the top of the payscale, but if the Pac 10 payouts increase with a new tv deal and the rumors of Bohn getting a 20% + increase in funding from the school are true, maybe we can be more competetive for top talent.

I guess that's my point -- we'd be lucky to get him. I was responding to someone that was telling me he's too young to be considered for the CU post.

i merely asked how old he was. if he's such a hot shot, he wins 8 games at CU once or twice he's gone anyway. certainly better to hire from a position of strength than what we are likely to do this time, but i don't see him as a long term solution (and a decent size risk). kid grew up in Denver, went to Duke and then t-ferred to Texas...not like he's got ties to CU...or ever cultivated them.

Muschamp could be getting a little antsy. let's say they lose 3-4 games this year....and Mack continues to hang around....all it can do is take the bloom off his rose with UT fans if they are giving up 40 points to OU and ATM. were it to happen...

if UT had beaten Bama, i wonder if Mack steps down after NC #2?

I agree -- we have to at least call Muschamps and have him confirm that he isn't interested. Same deal with Kirby Smart.

I agree -- we have to at least call Muschamps and have him confirm that he isn't interested. Same deal with Kirby Smart.

Muschamp isn't going to leave UT. The only school he might consider leaving for is Georgia, but honestly I doubt even that. He can make over a million a year as a DC now and when Mack Brown leaves, he steps up to the easiest job in college football. Basically have to do zero work at recruiting, have you entire class almost a year before signing day, maybe leave the state once or twice a year to play... and get paid huge dollars. Yeah, pretty sure he will stay at UT.

I like your Malzahn mention.

But why on Earth would you think Weis would be good? He was terrible at a place that is supposed to be easy to win. So much for his "decided schematic advantage."

I'd rather have someone like Calhoun, like Bienemy, like Charlie Weiss (seriously), like Les Miles after he gets canned.

Other names: what about Kyle Shannahan? He's on the fast-track to an NFL head coaching gig, but we may be able to land him. Steve Mariucci? Gus Malzahn? Kevin Sumlin (lack of CO/CA ties concerns me, though)?

Bobby Bowden (kidding -- but he did want to continue coaching, right?) Heck, I'd rather have Mike Leach than Larry Fedora.

If this list represents our coaching search list, shoot me now. :wow: Not one of these names excites me in the least. I had to watch Ron English as D Coordinator of my beloved Wolverines -- he was bad. Dwayne Walker didn't get the UCLA job over Skippy and can't coach NMS to a 3 win season. 'Nuff said. Dave Christensen has zero ties to Colorado or California and has only been a lower level HC for 1 year. He's out. Larry Fedora has no ties to Colorado or California and hasn't won big at USM. He's out. Andy Ludwig is OC for an offensive minded coach, which always makes you wonder whether he's the one coaching or whether it is Tedford. He's out. Al Golden has no ties to Colorado or California (he hasn't coached west of the Mississippi) and hasn't won at a level above the MAC. Belotti would be OK, but he's the only one of the bunch that I wouldn't slit my wrists over.

So because UCLA hired Rick, who isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, we can't hire him? New Mexico State also sucks beyond belief and he has been there for all of one entire season. I'm glad you really put some thought into this, though. Walker would bring solid defense and would recruit the hell out of SoCal. He also has a hell of a coaching pedigree so I'm sure he can bring along some decent coaches.

1. Belotti

2. Al Golden from Temple

3. Andy Ludwig, OC at Cal

4. Larry Fedora

5. Dave Christensen

6. Dwayne Walker

7. Ron English

I like this list for the most part, especially Golden. He's going to be hard to get if he has another good season, though. Walker was one of my favorites last year when we thought Hawk would no longer be gracing our Saturdays with his presence.

Some other guys I'd add:

Kirby Smart DC Alabama
Jim McElwain OC Alabama
Kevin Wilson OC Oklahoma : Why don't more people want this guy? Oklahoma's offense does a lot more for me year in and year out than their defense. Is Venables that good of a recruiter?
Bud Foster DC Virginia Tech

So because UCLA hired Rick, who isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, we can't hire him? New Mexico State also sucks beyond belief and he has been there for all of one entire season. I'm glad you really put some thought into this, though. Walker would bring solid defense and would recruit the hell out of SoCal. He also has a hell of a coaching pedigree so I'm sure he can bring along some decent coaches.

I'm not sure DW has shown enough as a head coach to make my list of preferred candidates. But if NMSU lets go of him, I'd be all over making him the DC under whoever is the next coach.

I'm not sure DW has shown enough as a head coach to make my list of preferred candidates. But if NMSU lets go of him, I'd be all over making him the DC under whoever is the next coach.

Fair enough, but he has only been at NMSU for one season. I see him kind of like Gene Chizik at ISU. He took a ****ty job that Urban Meyer would have a tough time winning at, doesn't make him any less of a decent candidate in my eyes, jmo.

Back