1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'10 LA WR Keenan Canty (Signed to Colorado)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    [​IMG]
    Edna Karr HS (New Orleans, LA)

Ht: 5-foot-10
    Wt: 180 lbs
    40: 4.74

[video=youtube;88KknYzRzO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88KknYzRzO0[/video]

Rivals Rank: 2*
    Scout Rank: 2*
    ESPN Rating: 2* - 74 grade; #169 WR

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. Buffnik

Re: '10 LA WR Keenan Canty

CU visit scheduled this weekend for the TAMU game. :cool:

I'm liking his hands and body control in the video. Good route runner and he can jump well.

Whether the 5'10" height is legitimate (and may grow more) will determine whether he's got BCS potential, imho, because he's definitely more of a Scotty McKnight than a Jeremy Bloom.

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

bump. Wonder how he liked his visit?

4. Buffnik

Waiting for confirmation, but have now read on 2 sites that Canty committed this weekend.

5. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

4.7 really ? Um not thrilled about that at all.

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Doesn't worry me, not all WRs are Andre Simmons. I doubt Scotty runs anything faster than a 4.7 or 4.8. He likely won't be much of a deep threat with that kind of speed, but he could be a very good possession type receiver. As long as he has short area quickness, 4.7 isn't an issue. As a matter of fact, I think Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 or so at the NFL combine.

7. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Commit

8. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

noice :woot:

9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Sounds like having him gives us a solid shot at his teammates. Glad to have him, welcome Keenan! :thumbsup:

10. Buffnik

Re: '10 LA WR Keenan Canty (Committed to Colorado)

Scout has confirmed that Canty is committed to CU. :woot:

In the new interview, Canty stated that the 4.7 forty he ran was at the beginning of his junior year. He says he's gotten faster since then and learned technique and would run around a 4.4 now. I doubt he's that fast, but if he's running in the 4.5s-4.6s, that's plenty fast enough.

11. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

From Kyle Ringo's Buffzone: (last paragraph in story)

Future Buff
    Colorado received an oral commitment from wide receiver/kick returner Keenan Canty, a 5-foot-9, 150 pound prospect from New Orleans.
    Canty told Scout.com he gave CU coaches his pledge to join the program during his visit. He is the eighth known commitment in the 2010 CU class and the first wide receiver.
    He made his official visit with two of his school teammates, quarterback Munchie Legaux and defensive tackle Harold Legania, who both hold offers from the Buffs as well.

:gobuffs:

12. TuffBuff32

TuffBuff32 Member

I like the fact that were going after kids in the southeast. these kids are usually pretty athletic but raw. Does anyone see a similarity to when coach mac scooped up a bunch of kids from southern cal before going on his run? not that i think hawk can pull that off but the idea is the same

13. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I'm equally worried about Scout's 5'9" 148 listing vs Rival's 5'10" 180, considering that exaggeration is usually to the high side, not the low side.

14. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Welcome Keenan!

I think we're looking at a definite red-shirt project in the weight room and training tables, if we can get enough kids to sign with us, might be a grayshirt candidiate as well..

15. Buffnik

I'm not worried, guys. We're talking about the top WR on one of the top HS teams in Louisiana (9-1 and ranked #14 in the state).

Obviously, we liked what we saw on film (probably discovered Canty while scouting Legaux) and then liked what we saw when he got here and was weighed, measured and interviewed. That means a hell of a lot more to me than what I read on a scouting service web site.

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

he makes some good plays. Would love to see us beat some big boys for a top recruit this year, but at least the staff is still pulling kids in. Welcome to our newest Buff!

17. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I **** bigger than Brandon Banks and I'd take him in a heart beat on the Buffs. I guess we'll see how big this kid is later. Hopefully the blurb about his speed being from awhile ago is accurate and that's improved. We have plenty of slow undersized WRs

18. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

we are going to need a receiver to fill the role that SM is leaving. Hopefully the kid runs good routes and can see the field in a year or two.

19. Dorn09

Dorn09 Well-Known Member

does anyone know if he returns punts or kick offs? We need a return threat in the worst way.

20. Buffnik

He is a returner. Some speculation on other sites that return ability was the primary reason we offered him.

21. Dorn09

Dorn09 Well-Known Member

Sweet, we need a good return threat. A Bloom or Holloway type player could do wonders for our field position.

Welcome to the family Keenan!

22. Buffnik

More great news: Canty told Rivals tonight that he and Munchie are "ecstatic" that Hawkins will be back next year and that their commitments are solid. :dance:

23. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Hmmm

24. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It sure seems like just about everyone save Spond is going to stay onboard. Now the hard work begins to bring several more guys into the fold. With 11 commitments, the coaches have some work to do, although it sure seems like another recruiting cycle where we undersign.

25. Buffnik

December's tough with the holidays and all, but I'd like to see us up to at least 17 or 18 commits by the end of the year.

26. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think that is a good number to shoot for because last year's strategy did not work. We cannot go into signing day with the same uncertainty we had last season (although I doubt we will be involved in many signing day announcements anyway). We basically have two weekends in December to get visitors into Boulder, right?

27. Buffnik

Yeah. This weekend and next before the semester ends. And next weekend is the start of final exams (hard for a player to host). Given that, I may have been too optimistic in how many guys we can get committed this month.

Spring semester starts up on January 11th.

28. Buffnik

Keenan was just rated by Rivals. He came in at as a 2* prospect (as expected).

On Rivals: This raises the average for CU's class from 2.73 up to 2.91. We have one 4*, eight 3*, and two 2* known commitments at this time.

29. Buffnik

Canty is now a 2* prospect on Scout.

And there is finally some video on him. Not great production value, but it's obvious the guy can play. He's faster than his reported 40 time would indicate. Game is similar to Will Jefferson.

[video=youtube;88KknYzRzO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88KknYzRzO0[/video]

30. Buffnik

ESPN has added an evaluation of Canty. They've got him just short of a 3* prospect with a 74 grade (75 is 3*) and ranked as the #165 WR for 2010. Link is in the 1st post to this thread.

Canty is a quick-footed receiver prospect with good hands and savvy at the position. Not going to blow you away with ideal size and speed measurables but he's a wiry athlete who plays bigger. Has very good hands and a large catch radius. Plucks most balls thrown in his vicinity and extends well away from his frame. Displays good sideline awareness and deep ball skills. A really good leaper and athlete who positions himself correctly and excels on the contested jump-ball match-up. Lacks great burst out of his cuts as a route runner but he is fluid/smooth out of his breaks and gears down very little on intermediate patterns. Does a good job separating and working back to the ball. After the catch, he shows above average elusiveness and wiggle; difficult to get a clean shot on and he gets north quickly. Does appear quicker than fast; he lacks great explosives and top-end speed. Overall, Canty's not a game-breaker when projecting for the college level but we like him as a slot receiver in an open spread offense that allows him to work in space.

I don't know about you guys, but this makes me feel a lot better about Canty. He just needs to get bigger and stronger (which will help his burst out of breaks), but I'm eager to see him down the road.