What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO QB Cyler Miles (Signed to Washington)

Apples and Oranges people.... It's all about you want. Cyler is like apples, Shane is like Oranges... Both of them make a good juice, and are tasty fruits, but only apples can produce pies.

It's the Jarret Lee, Jordan Jefferson scenario. Which one is better for LSU? They try to run the Pro-set...
According to NCAA 12 LSU runs a multiple system which features some spread and pistol. CU does not to the same extent.

Apples and Oranges people.... It's all about you want. Cyler is like apples, Shane is like Oranges... Both of them make a good juice, and are tasty fruits, but only apples can produce pies.
And the coaches selected what they prefer

I do love how this guy has declared cyler the better passing qb and is takin it as gospel. Scout membership ftw!

fl, since you evidently know a lot more than JE and EB, not to mention the Elite 11 evaluators, shouldn't you be a head coach somewhere? You don't really want to waste your time trying educate us here.

Im not saying in know more than any of those guys. I just like Cyler better....

MIles just doesn't fit as well in our offense as Dillon, and evidently was interested in going out of state. Not a lot more to say, right?

Yes while Shane may be more set for the Pro-style, I have studied both of there films and Cyler is a much better Passer. Mullen ran more of a run first game. If you look at his throwing motion it is much faster than Shanes'. He has a Micheal Vick throw. Very fast. He is a much better athlete. IMO every program needs a mobile quarterback. He was without a doubt the best quarterback at the AA game. He is very accurate and most of his picks this season were caused by the WR running bad routes. Shane, is yes... a Good QB, but just doesn't have the attributes that Cyler has. He is awkward in the pocket and has a slow motion, but when you watch his film most of his pics were overthrows/underthrows or just bad decisions like throwing into double coverage. I am EXTREMELY happy we got Shane but i feel it was a bad decision not to go after after a 2nd QB as a backup or give Shane serious competition. Hell I would have been happy to recruit Apodaca hard. Either of those would be huge! what if Shane has a bad injury were screwed. Cyler and Apodaca are both with in 100miles from boulder. I just don't get it.

Most teams take one QB a recruiting cycle, CU has Hirschman, Wood, who will be sophomores- Dorman who is a RS Frosh. Add Dillion and we have plenty of young players at QB. I have no idea why you brought Apodaca into the conversation he is a reach at this level -like saying why didn't you pursue Jessica Alba and Phyllis Diller...CU had Dillion as their top priority coming into this cycle, he committed early and they stopped recruiting a QB.

Yeah He doesnt fit our system but thats still a talent you cant pass up. If UDUB is signing him as an athlete position. Why cant we?

Yeah He doesnt fit our system but thats still a talent you cant pass up. If UDUB is signing him as an athlete position. Why cant we?

Because he wanted to go out of state. I really like Miles as a prospect and wish he was coming to Boulder in a few months, but it was just not in the cards. Hopefully we do not lose more athletes of his caliber to other PAC-12 schools going forward.

I understand Miles wasn't going to come here but I'm not sure a guy with his athletic skills should be ignored regardless of our "pro set" system. These kind of players usually make average college teams to conference contenders based on the fact its much harder for college defenses to defend players that can run and pass the ball.

If I had a choice of QBs, I rather have Kordell type than a Detmer type regardless of what "system" I was running. Good coaches should be able to tailor their "systems" to match the players strengths.

I understand Miles wasn't going to come here but I'm not sure a guy with his athletic skills should be ignored regardless of our "pro set" system. These kind of players usually make average college teams to conference contenders based on the fact its much harder for college defenses to defend players that can run and pass the ball.

If I had a choice of QBs, I rather have Kordell type than a Detmer type.

Are you suggesting us to change the offense strategy or something?

Yes, we could play WVU or Oregon offense. But do we?

Are you suggesting us to change the offense strategy or something?

Yes, we could play WVU or Oregon offense. But do we?

Not necessarily. I just think that if we could find a QB that can run and pass well that it would improve our chances to win than having a drop back passer. Kordell didn't play in the spread. Russel Wilson didn't play in the spread. Vick wasn't in a spread at Va Tech.

Hes not saying we should play like that. Hes saying a pro-set with more of a an QB option.

Not necessarily. I just think that if we could find a QB that can run and pass well that it would improve our chances to win than having a drop back passer. Kordell didn't play in the spread. Russel Wilson didn't play in the spread. Vick wasn't in a spread at Va Tech.

So between Luck type QB and Wilson type QB, which one do you prefer? Manning or Vick who do you prefer?

Both are good QBs and you can only choose one, so our coaches take one they want. Sure we would love to have Miles as well, but it's just not gonna happen. It's something everyone have to do, you get some, lose some. I just don't understand what are you guys whining about.

Last edited:
So between Luck type QB and Wilson type QB, which one do you prefer?

Much easier to find a Wilson type in college (who isn't a NFL prospect) than one that is that as good as Luck.

Running QBs can cover up talent deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball. Can also help your defense if you play a time of possession type of game by keeping it off the field.

The coaches don't mind a quarterback who can run. They tried to get Tyler to run more, in fact. They also plan to let Wood play his game. But priority #1 is that any QB they recruit has to be able to win from the pocket. Shane can. He committed. Cyler was looking out of state. I wish him well when he's not playing CU. He definitely respected the program during the recruiting process and only had good things to say in interviews.

I don't see Cyler ever playing BCS level football at QB. No question he is a better athlete than Shane, a big part of why he is rated higher by many along with him playing for a team which is a higher profile program and his being on the services radar for a longer time.

That all said as a passer I will take Dillon. There is a reason that Mullen played Cyler at various positions and didn't leave him at QB, he has great legs and a strong arm. Dillon has a strong arm as well and at the camps showed that he has better QB skills.

I would love to have Cyler at CU and even give him a shot at QB but I would rather have Dillon. Cyler can hope to be a QB but I put the over under on a position change at 6 weeks into his freshman season. The real question is does he end up at WR or more likely DB.

Back