What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 NJ CB Yuri Wright (Signed to Colorado)

Yes, I understand that it is mostly east coast bias. It's just incredibly obnoxious. I grew up 10 minutes outside of Ann Arbor and came to Boulder to get away from the arrogance and stupidity that is so frequent there.. And I bet 95% of high school athletes tweet very similar stuff, along with the poor grammar because not many kids understands proper grammar anymore thanks to modern tech. I also bet half of their athletes would not make it through CU, because we DO NOT offer a general studies program for the actual stupid kids.

Intentional?

Michigan can have their supposed high horse (really, just sour grapes). I'll take Yuri.

Agreed. Sounds like ND will have a lot of holier than thou folk getting angry as this becomes more of a story, so they may pull his offer too. Perfect opportunity for us to express support and hope his family can get him a diploma.

I like how the majority of you want him in Boulder no matter what just because he has some stars next to his name. I dont know the kid, just as I am sure everyone else who posts on here doesn't, but from what he has presented the world with so far, he does not seem like he makes the greatest first impression. Is that a better way of saying it for the moron who brought up his GPA? I will trust what the coaches do. If they keep recruiting him great, then they probably got to meet the real kid and they think he is a different person than what he presented for the public to see. If they decide not to go after him then that makes sense too, I can totally understand that, kinda using the when there is smoke there is fire type of thinking.

As for blowing this thing out of proportion whoever thinks that the press won't pick up on those comments is an idiot, it made the ESPN home page today, people are taking note and when it gets that much press then CU as a university better take notice. From what I remember about my dealings with the PR people at CU, I wouldn't be surprised if they leaned on Embree a bit to not touch this kid with a 10 foot pole.

I'm still with him. He's young, and at the age where learning cultural sensitivity actually starts, not stops.

I like how the majority of you want him in Boulder no matter what just because he has some stars next to his name. I dont know the kid, just as I am sure everyone else who posts on here doesn't, but from what he has presented the world with so far, he does not seem like he makes the greatest first impression. Is that a better way of saying it for the moron who brought up his GPA? I will trust what the coaches do. If they keep recruiting him great, then they probably got to meet the real kid and they think he is a different person than what he presented for the public to see. If they decide not to go after him then that makes sense too, I can totally understand that, kinda using the when there is smoke there is fire type of thinking.

As for blowing this thing out of proportion whoever thinks that the press won't pick up on those comments is an idiot, it made the ESPN home page today, people are taking note and when it gets that much press then CU as a university better take notice. From what I remember about my dealings with the PR people at CU, I wouldn't be surprised if they leaned on Embree a bit to not touch this kid with a 10 foot pole.

This whole story has being overblown, must be a slow news day, guess what 2 new schools have jumped in on his recruiting. I would be personally disapointed if the University stop JE from recruiting him. The kid didn't commit a crime, made private messages.

Man, this is a tough deal. Personally, I believe in second chances. I believe the kid was playing the comedian and thought he was being funny. On the other hand, this thing has gone national. That "clone," the Jim Rome wannabe, that total moron, nevertheless represents an opinion that still lingers out there. That is, that CU is some kind of rogue program that eschews academics and sells sex. Embree is in a tough position. I'd bet that Bohn, having lived through the scandal and still sensitive about the reprocussions, will "advise" Embree not to pursue him.

The only hope is that the kid makes some sort of convincing public apology. I'm not sure if even that would do it. And, again, I believe the kid should be forgiven.

As much as it sucks to say it, I think we have to pass on this dude. However BS the 'scandal' is, we don't need it brought up again. It sucks, but I think it might be the right thing to let him go to one of the schools that is ripping him.

Man, this is a tough deal. Personally, I believe in second chances. I believe the kid was playing the comedian and thought he was being funny. On the other hand, this thing has gone national. That "clone," the Jim Rome wannabe, that total moron, nevertheless represents an opinion that still lingers out there. That is, that CU is some kind of rogue program that eschews academics and sells sex. Embree is in a tough position. I'd bet that Bohn, having lived through the scandal and still sensitive about the reprocussions, will "advise" Embree not to pursue him.

The only hope is that the kid makes some sort of convincing public apology. I'm not sure if even that would do it. And, again, I believe the kid should be forgiven.

I will be so disappointed in Embree and CU if fear of public perception is more important that doing what's right for the football team or fair to this kid. We need to show some backbone. If we stand by Yuri, that's going to play well with future recruits the same way that it plays well that we've stood by recruits who got injured their senior year. We've got to be better than the noise.

I will be so disappointed in Embree and CU if fear of public perception is more important that doing what's right for the football team or fair to this kid. We need to show some backbone. If we stand by Yuri, that's going to play well with future recruits the same way that it plays well that we've stood by recruits who got injured their senior year. We've got to be better than the noise.
I agree. But don't think that is how it will play out. If we sign him, Embree will have to come out very strong on his behalf. Embree will also have to be willing to risk huge consequences of anything goes wrong wit the young man.

Nik i agree with you, other recruits are watching this situation carefully. If we pull our offer, it will negatively impact future recruiting.

I wonder what the Denver Post would write after we accepted him? Henderson? Yuck! Embree would have to go on the offensive.

I wonder what the Denver Post would write after we accepted him? Henderson? Yuck! Embree would have to go on the offensive.

Meh. If they wanted to do a hatchet job, all they'd have to do would be to publish the tweets of some of our current players.

Besides, no one really cares about this. They might pretend they do, but no one with any sense is truly outraged. The only reason it's a story is because there's the angle about how the new social media is changing things.

As much as it sucks to say it, I think we have to pass on this dude. However BS the 'scandal' is, we don't need it brought up again. It sucks, but I think it might be the right thing to let him go to one of the schools that is ripping him.
Cowards. Why do we shy away from doing the right thing?

But everyone does it and it is fun. And what about his GPA? A 4.0 means you are smart in all aspects of life dont you know?

Stand by a guy that cant commit to you? Perception is reality when it comes to PR.

I really think you have to trust the coaches in this situation. After all it is their rep on the line. The kid's reputation is already trash right now as far as the public is concerned.

Stand by a guy that cant commit to you? Perception is reality when it comes to PR.

I really think you have to trust the coaches in this situation. After all it is their rep on the line. The kid's reputation is already trash right now as far as the public is concerned.
The kid has his choice of nearly any school, it's 100% understandable that he doesn't know where he wants to go.

Certainly not the smartest kid that we have ever recruited.

...the moron who brought up his GPA

Almost 'nuff said.

People don't like him for his stars, idot, the stars don't react or tackle. You fell right into the Michigan anti-Yuri hype. The tweets were a mistake he has evidently addressed by removing his twitter account. Now it's time for you to man up and delete all of your posts.

Meh. If they wanted to do a hatchet job, all they'd have to do would be to publish the tweets of some of our current players.

Besides, no one really cares about this. They might pretend they do, but no one with any sense is truly outraged. The only reason it's a story is because there's the angle about how the new social media is changing things.

This. The only reason it's an issue is because it's the first time there's some type of acknowledgement that social media impacted recruiting. And because his supposed "dream school" stopped recruiting him.

Yuri is getting a raw deal, hopefully we keep after him and he realizes our support for him. He is a teenager for crying out loud, how many other teenagers do immature things and make immature tweets? It's how you learn in life, you can't expell and pull offers for some tweets. I agree they have to watch what they say, but come on!

The idea that we, or anybody else for that matter, would drop the kid because of a couple tweets is absurd. This whole thing will blow over very quickly. With any luck, he'll be a Buff and will be intercepting passes as soon as this September.

SIAP

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...wright-twitter-posts-cost-college-scholarship

"It was pretty simple really, what he wrote were some graphic sex things. This is a Catholic school, things like that cannot happen. It was totally inappropriate."

"We told them about 10 or 15 times to get off (Twitter) and not to be involved in it, but there is always somebody who thinks he knows better." Toal told ESPNNewYork.com. "What he wrote was pretty bad, to be honest with you, I can't even say what he wrote.
"He was told on numerous occasions not to be Twittering and there are consequences for his actions."

Looks clear to me. He had good advice and didn't take it. Now HE is paying for HIS poor decision to keep the twitter account. This kid made his bed now he has do something to fix it, if CU is the school that helps him continue on a good path, good for him and good for us. No problem with him on a CU football team but obviously he has to be HS graduate first.

Ya, I cringe when I see some of the drivel Tweeted by current Buffs. But then I remember what I was like @ that age, not much better. Prolly worse. Everyone needs schooled in social media = don't post anything, public / private that you don't want the entire world to see.

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man."

Imagine if twitter had been around 50 years ago and a recruit posted an Elvis lyric.

This is so stupid. TimBuff obviously has not spent a lot of time around college football players. What Yuri said in the Tweets is commonplace in college locker rooms around the country. Should it be kept in the locker room for purposes of public perception? Yes. Is it ethically worse to say it on Twitter than in a locker room? No.

C'mon, Yuri, be a Buff. Let Embo, GB and company raise you up as a man and a future NFL corner.

SIAP

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...wright-twitter-posts-cost-college-scholarship

Looks clear to me. He had good advice and didn't take it. Now HE is paying for HIS poor decision to keep the twitter account. This kid made his bed now he has do something to fix it, if CU is the school that helps him continue on a good path, good for him and good for us. No problem with him on a CU football team but obviously he has to be HS graduate first.

The quotes in that article just illustrate the divide between today's youth and some members of an older, more conservative generation who are feeling overwhelmed by today's social media. It's one thing to tell the kid to stop writing sexually explicit material, but quite another to demand he stop using Twitter altogether. Social media isn't inherently evil, and whether this Toal guy likes it or not, it's not going away any time soon. Yuri is in hot water for what he wrote, not for being on twitter in the first place.

Back