What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#13/12 Dayton Lookalike & Game thread - MBB (Chicago, Saturday, 12/21, 4:30 PM MT, CBS SN)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go Buffs - beat the Flyers!
(As I initially type this, can't find a preview article.)

Flyers' roster for Lookalike suggestions - https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2019-20
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links -
Game Notes
- Not available as I type this.

Live video - Game is being shown live on the CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, I'd guess maybe (???) the game can also be streamed through a link at https://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/ .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/showcase?Live=2388 or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=736696896423420978 , or on Radio. Normally, believe it will be on 850 AM and 94.1 FM.

Live stats - Can't find as of now.

A cubuffs.com preview is now available - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/20/mens-basketball-buffs-ready-for-matchup-with-no-13-flyers.aspx

"
CHICAGO — In a way, Saturday's 4:30 p.m. Colorado-Dayton game at the United Center will serve as the fall semester final exam for Tad Boyle's Buffaloes.

The matchup with the 9-1 Flyers (No. 13 AP/No. 12 USA Today) will no doubt provide a solid measuring stick for the 9-2 Buffs, who spent five weeks in the nation's top 25 before slipping out after losses to Kansas and Northern Iowa.

After Saturday's game, the Buffs will have one more non-conference game — a Dec. 29 matchup with Iona — before opening Pac-12 play against Oregon on Jan. 2. The 7 p.m. game at the CU Events Center will be a matchup between the team picked in the preseason to win the conference, Oregon, against the team picked to finish second, Colorado.

But first comes Saturday's matchup, a game that has had a little extra juice to it since it first appeared on the schedule.
There is also history between the two programs dating back to last year, when Colorado beat Dayton in Boulder, 78-73, in a first-round NIT game. It was one of CU's best overall efforts of the season and one they will need to replicate Saturday if they want to come away with another win.

But most importantly, Saturday's game is a chance for the Buffs to prove they belong in the discussion of the nation's top 25 teams. The Flyers have one of the nation's best players in 6-foot-9 sophomore power forward Obi Toppin, they have a wealth of depth, and they already own wins over Georgia, Virginia Tech and St. Mary's. Their only loss thus far is a 90-84 overtime decision at the hands of Kansas in the Maui Jim Invitational title game in late November.

Coach Anthony Grant's Flyers are a balanced squad. Dayton boasts five players averaging double-digit scoring, and the Flyers are shooting 53.7 percent from the floor this year — the best percentage in the nation. They are averaging more than 88 points per game and holding opponents to 66, giving them the nation's ninth-leading scoring margin, and they are also forcing an average of 15.7 turnovers per game and turning those turnovers into nearly 20 points per contest.

"The thing that makes Dayton so good is they've got quality depth, they're well coached, they defend, they're efficient on offense," Boyle said. "They're a legit top 20 team. So, this is an opportunity you just relish."

But while the Flyers do have balance, Toppin is no doubt the premier piece of the puzzle, averaging 20.1 points and 8.1 rebounds this season. He has also added a reliable 3-point shot to his arsenal (41.4 percent this year), and NBA observers now believe he will be a first-round pick if he makes himself available for the draft next summer.

"Toppin is a terrific player," Boyle said. "He has made major strides. He really can shoot the ball from three now and he's a really good low post player. He's a matchup problem, there's no doubt about it. We've got our work cut out for us."

The task of guarding Toppin likely won't be a one-man job, but there's no doubt Tyler Bey will get his chances, and Evan Battey might sneak into the equation as well.

THE SERIES: Colorado holds a 3-1 all-time edge, with wins in the last three. CU won the only neutral court game in the series, 67-57, in the Charleston Classic in 2012.

BROADCAST: The game will be televised by CBS Sports Network with John Sadak and Steve Lappas. The radio broadcast will be carried by 850 AM and 94.1 FM KOA, with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke.

UP NEXT: The Buffs will take a few days off for the holidays, then reconvene in Boulder to prepare for their Dec. 29 game against Iona at the CU Events Center (Noon, Pac-12 Network).
"

I’m honestly struggling to come up with a way we win this one. I felt we had a better chance against KU.

Super bummed. Flying in to Chicago tomorrow for the holidays and will miss being able to go to the game by a couple of hours. I always check the schedule when we go to Colorado, but I never thought to check when going to my in-laws.
Oh well. Go Buffs!

Buffs will have to play their best game this year, maybe in a couple of years, to pull this out. Just read the summary of the dayton/ku game. This is a very tough team, wanting to get even for last year and wanting to show MW he made the wrong choice. this will be a great holiday gift, if they can pull it out.

a little debbie downer: TB, all the pundits and media keep saying this is a great Buff squad, 'just wait till they start playing like they're capable of'. At some point, if they don't start playing at that level, the players are going to wonder, among other things, if maybe TB isn't coaching them well enough. (I'm a big Tad fan, would like to see him here several more years)

Please please please cut the turnover crap. And please MOVE without the ball and please make passes with a purpose. This isn't a team loaded with freshmen you might expect it from. Play like experienced players and fix these fundamental, almost easy-to-fix issues.

Last year CU and Dayton were pretty equal. So far that isn’t the case this season. And while Obi Toppin has become a star, Wright has seen a bit of a regression.

Frank Ryder looked great in his 30 secs against pv. He played regular minutes at SD, before having to sit out, is 6'10", 232. At some point I think he really provides some good minutes. Oregon may be better than dayton, may not be.This is as hard a game as we will play regular season

Game is 2 - hour drive from dayton. 2 other ohio teams playing there this weekend. this is not really a neutral site

Ahh. It’s gonna be one of those games. Take as many threes as possible and don’t drive at all.

the ulk of our players are horrible tonight. MW and EB stepping up. EB doing a great def job

Back