What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#13/12 Dayton Lookalike & Game thread - MBB (Chicago, Saturday, 12/21, 4:30 PM MT, CBS SN)

Denver East players are HUGELY overrated. Wish we steered clear of them TBH.
I don't know that I'd hold someone's HS against him.

That said, I've heard a number of basketball fans who take it to a whole other level -- they'd prefer that Tad never sign another in-state player or white guy as 2 recruiting rules they wish he'd adopt. So you're kind of conservative by comparison with just calling out Denver East. lol

First poll I’ve seen is the CBS Poll. They dropped Dayton from 11 to 16. Colorado is nowhere to be seen. Doesn’t really bother me much since almost every Top 25 team won this weekend. And the ones that lost, lost to other ranked teams.

I found it interesting that the Buffs only needed two points to win it at the end of OT. Kin had a great inlet pass to Bey who drove to the basket. He was collapsed on and found Shwartz out past the three point line.

Shows how comfortable and ingrained from practicing that Shwartz was out there. He could have been closer for a 'easier' two point basket, but stood and shot where he's most confident at. Great awareness of the clock by all.

It was great to see that drive by him for a layup with about a minute left.
I was amazed Bey didn't force the shot himself. He knew he was covered by one defender, but not sure he realized he was double teamed. One would think he knew there were seconds left, and a 2 pt bucket was enough and there was also the shooting foul that could of won the game, but how? did he realize to do this? He knew he was under the basket, but to see and get the pass out to open Schwartz, really was pretty amazing. So climatic. Only then could we the viewing audience see a few CU fans, one that came out on the court to high-five Schwartz. Best game all year so far! Dayton was a solid #13, and played impressively well, with a huge local fan base. My hopes for a "good/successful" season for the Buffs have been restored, if they can manage to play with such confidence as this game. Make me wonder if they tend to "play" (up or down) to their opponent's skill?

Took a look at KenPom to see where our Buff rank tonight:

#20 in Adjusted Defense
#85 in Adjusted Offense
We have a +15.25 on Adjusted Efficiency Margin -- good for a #40 national rank.

On the Four Factors (statistically, the things most tied to winning):

Effective FG%: O #246 (very bad) / D #49 (very good)
Turnover %: O #277 (awful) / D #45 (very good)
O Rebounding %: O #50 (very good) / D #53 (very good)
FTA/FGA: O #24 (excellent) / D #48 (very good)

Basically we're doing everything very well on the defensive end. We really don't have a weakness as a team that plays straight up without getting a lot of steals or blocks, but still forces a lot of turnovers and a low shooting percentage without fouling much or giving up many offensive rebounds. About as solid and frustrating for an offense as it gets.

On the offensive side, we do a great job of getting 2nd chance opportunities and on getting to the line. We're an average or better 3pt shooting team. But we don't take care of the ball and too many of our bad possessions aren't just turnovers but steals that will lead to opponent transition points.

My biggest concern with this stuff is on eFG% for our offense. A team that's shooting reasonably well from 3pt and getting to the line at a great rate should not suck on this Factor. For some reason, we're making the game a lot harder than it needs to be because we're missing the shots that players at this skill level probably make 80-90% of the time in a shoot around. Got to start making the easy ones and we've got to take care of the ball much better.
Thanks for the stats. . very interesting, and seem to "fit" what we're seeing? In the end, I still wonder if "stats" fit reality? Like who wins the NCAA, who's in the Final Four and if the stats "fit" their performance? But agree with your final synopsis. We all can agree, as do the stats, that O-turnovers are the big issue. "Taking care of the ball" seems to be a fair issue. How do you improve? Get teammates more open so high risk passes don't have to happen? More movement on offense, IMO, need improvement. Battey was fantastic rebounding, but I was watching on offense, and he didn't seem to be moving enough getting open. I didn't care for his failed attempts to set a pick as teammates brought the ball up court. Because he was out of position offensively then. But there was one drive to the hoop even the announcers did a replay on that they praised Battey for his pic that led to the bucket. This player, already a fan favorite, is becoming more and more a factor and filling that "big post player" position we do desperately need.

Weird that UCLA is going to pull us down each time we play them as they are at 160th as of this morning. Holy cow, how the mighty have fallen.

They're also going to be tough. They haven't been successful this year, but they still have talent, and the style Mick Cronin wants to play isn't pretty. Cronin has been a successful coach for a long time, but he is such a strange fit there. Only one Sweet 16 in his time at Cincy too.

I was amazed Bey didn't force the shot himself. He knew he was covered by one defender, but not sure he realized he was double teamed. One would think he knew there were seconds left, and a 2 pt bucket was enough and there was also the shooting foul that could of won the game, but how? did he realize to do this? He knew he was under the basket, but to see and get the pass out to open Schwartz, really was pretty amazing. So climatic. Only then could we the viewing audience see a few CU fans, one that came out on the court to high-five Schwartz. Best game all year so far! Dayton was a solid #13, and played impressively well, with a huge local fan base. My hopes for a "good/successful" season for the Buffs have been restored, if they can manage to play with such confidence as this game. Make me wonder if they tend to "play" (up or down) to their opponent's skill?
Good post. Wasn't sure why they didnt go to Battey more in their offensive sets. And Beys pass was crazy good. I like Schwartz's confidence right now. Several times he had a smile on his face after good plays. Having fun.

Back