What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO OT Dan Skipper (Verbal to Arkansas)

Supposedly committed to Tennessee. This one will be interesting to follow thru college

Congrats to him, if true. Tennessee's coaching situation seems a bit dicey, but we'll see.

Supposedly committed to Tennessee. This one will be interesting to follow thru college

Good luck to the young man if true, but you're right, this should be an interesting one to watch. CO kids, and a non-blue chipper at that, heading into SEC country to try and play ball often produce interesting results. Given the fact that Dooley is already starting to feel the heat, there may be one or two coaching changes in Knoxville before his time there is up.

I don't understand committing to Tennessee right now. Program hasn't been winning, they've got a coach on the hot seat, and it's not like a Tennessee degree is going to open doors that a degree from somewhere else would not. Facilities are impressive and they do have some tradition of excellence, but it's an AD in crisis right now.

I don't understand committing to Tennessee right now. Program hasn't been winning, they've got a coach on the hot seat, and it's not like a Tennessee degree is going to open doors that a degree from somewhere else would not. Facilities are impressive and they do have some tradition of excellence, but it's an AD in crisis right now.

That's a major understatement.

If Tennessee has "some" tradition, then we don't have any at all.

13 SEC Championships. 6 MNCs (4 in the post WW2 era). They've never lost 8 or more games in a season. The only other school that holds that record is tOSU. They also rank #9 all time in wins.

Are they the old beauty that isn't the hot thing on the block anymore? Probably. But Neyland seats 102k people and the entire facility is start of the art. Their boosters run almost as deep as anyone in the SEC.

Edit: That said, Dooley is on the hot seat and Tennessee demands championships. The rise of SCar is a thorn in Tennessee's side since a strong Tennessee requires a down SCar (due to recruits, South Carolina is a hotbed). And truth be told, but if Embree doesn't win this year it's not like he isn't going to have a warm seat. It may not be as hot as Dooley's, but it'll be warm. Any coach most of these kids get recruited by probably won't be at their current job for very long. CFB has no patience anymore.

Last edited:

13 SEC Championships. 6 MNCs (4 in the post WW2 era). They've never lost 8 or more games in a season. The only other school that holds that record is tOSU. They also rank #9 all time in wins.

Are they the old beauty that isn't the hot thing on the block anymore? Probably. But Neyland seats 102k people and the entire facility is start of the art. Their boosters run almost as deep as anyone in the SEC.

Edit: That said, Dooley is on the hot seat and Tennessee demands championships. The rise of SCar is a thorn in Tennessee's side since a strong Tennessee requires a down SCar (due to recruits, South Carolina is a hotbed). And truth be told, but if Embree doesn't win this year it's not like he isn't going to have a warm seat. It may not be as hot as Dooley's, but it'll be warm. Any catch most of these kids get recruited by probably won't be at their current job for very long. CFB has no patience anymore.

By their standards they have been terrible for a number of years. The alums and boosters expect to contend for SEC championships, they are used to going to major bowls and being the focus of national attention. The past few years have been a disaster by their standards.

Going from an afterthought to a contender in the SEC is not an easy task but they have the support and resources to do it. Their community is not willing to accept the medicracy that seems to be the target for many in the CU adminstration.

Edit: That said, Dooley is on the hot seat and Tennessee demands championships. The rise of SCar is a thorn in Tennessee's side since a strong Tennessee requires a down SCar (due to recruits, South Carolina is a hotbed). And truth be told, but if Embree doesn't win this year it's not like he isn't going to have a warm seat. It may not be as hot as Dooley's, but it'll be warm. Any coach most of these kids get recruited by probably won't be at their current job for very long. CFB has no patience anymore.

The difference is a 7 or 8 win season won't get a CU coach fired (Barnett was a different situation). 7 or 8 wins gets you shown the door in Knoxville. Very challenging times for the Vols, as you mention right now. In their glory days of the 90's, South Carolina was atrocious, Georgia was mediocre under Jim Donnan, Bama, Auburn and LSU were all having assorted issues as well. Times have changed. Hard to see how Tennessee makes it back to the top in this current dynamic, where even Vanderbilt is doing quality recruiting. Maybe the void in talent gives Skipper an opportunity, but more likely a couple coaching changes could make for quite a chaotic college experience.

Regardless, and I'm not the type of guy who writes off every commit who chooses elsewhere over CU, but I have my doubts about Skipper being a stud at the college level. That said, good luck to him.

Last edited:
Dooley is as good as done. That ship won't be righted. Skipper will be on his 2nd coach before the ink has even dried on his scholarship papers. Kids in transition classes tend to be the ones that wash out. Unless this kid was planning on playing baseball too, he was purely jersey chasing. I'm all putting yourself out there and looking at ten or so schools he might be interested in... This kid had 25 this summer or whatever. He can say whatever about CU but he was hell bent on leaving. I think we would have saw him at CSU before CU.

Cluess pick IMO. Another Mister Jones coming up.

Not saying they haven't had great teams over the years, but claiming 6 Tennessee championships is being a bit generous. Wiki counts only 7, but only two of those are what they term consensus, since there are so many different varieties of MNCs. For example, by the total count even ASU has 2 and CU only the 1 (which does make your point, just responding for clarity).

This Wiki says Tennessee claims 6 MNCs (3 of those they lost their bowl game :lol:) and the records on this page show no season with more than 7 losses.

Tennessee fan here, I've ran across this board a few times when I've searched for prospects that we have recruited. Figured it was about time for me to chime in if you guys don't mind.

Skipper surprised us & committed last night, we hadn't heard of him until he came to our camp a few weeks ago. He must have impressed our staff b/c he earned an offer there. The worry for some of us is his height, at 6'10" it's usually a concern on if the guy can bend or be athletic enough but once you watch Skippers film that concern goes away. He still needs to fill out his frame some, which is why he will likely be redshirted as a Freshmen. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

I'd also like to add, I'm a huge Patriots fan. I loved our pickup of Nate Solder, he is going to be our anchor at LT for a long time.

Reactions: SCB
Congrats to him, if true. Tennessee's coaching situation seems a bit dicey, but we'll see.

Good luck to the young man if true, but you're right, this should be an interesting one to watch. CO kids, and a non-blue chipper at that, heading into SEC country to try and play ball often produce interesting results. Given the fact that Dooley is already starting to feel the heat, there may be one or two coaching changes in Knoxville before his time there is up.

Dooley is as good as done. That ship won't be righted. Skipper will be on his 2nd coach before the ink has even dried on his scholarship papers. Kids in transition classes tend to be the ones that wash out. Unless this kid was planning on playing baseball too, he was purely jersey chasing. I'm all putting yourself out there and looking at ten or so schools he might be interested in... This kid had 25 this summer or whatever. He can say whatever about CU but he was hell bent on leaving. I think we would have saw him at CSU before CU.

Cluess pick IMO. Another Mister Jones coming up.

I think the "Dooley on the Hot-Seat" is a bit over blown by most fan bases, has Dooley had a rough time so far? Yes he has, but he inherited a MESS in Knoxville that had nothing to do w/ him. We hired 7 new assistants this offseason & all of them but 1 recieved 2 year deals, which likely means that Dooley is the HC at Tennessee through at least 2013. If it hadn't been for the LSU & UNC games in Dooleys 1st season then we end up at 8-5, this past season we had major injures to a handful of our key players that played into our terrible season. No doubt that Dooley HAS to improve the product on the field this season, which IMO will happen.

I think the "Dooley on the Hot-Seat" is a bit over blown by most fan bases, has Dooley had a rough time so far? Yes he has, but he inherited a MESS in Knoxville that had nothing to do w/ him. We hired 7 new assistants this offseason & all of them but 1 recieved 2 year deals, which likely means that Dooley is the HC at Tennessee through at least 2013. If it hadn't been for the LSU & UNC games in Dooleys 1st season then we end up at 8-5, this past season we had major injures to a handful of our key players that played into our terrible season. No doubt that Dooley HAS to improve the product on the field this season, which IMO will happen.
We love excuses around here. Have you heard of Dan HaLkins? He loved them too. However, maybe you are right.

Tennessee fan here, I've ran across this board a few times when I've searched for prospects that we have recruited. Figured it was about time for me to chime in if you guys don't mind.

Skipper surprised us & committed last night, we hadn't heard of him until he came to our camp a few weeks ago. He must have impressed our staff b/c he earned an offer there. The worry for some of us is his height, at 6'10" it's usually a concern on if the guy can bend or be athletic enough but once you watch Skippers film that concern goes away. He still needs to fill out his frame some, which is why he will likely be redshirted as a Freshmen. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

I'd also like to add, I'm a huge Patriots fan. I loved our pickup of Nate Solder, he is going to be our anchor at LT for a long time.

Welcome to the board. We all hope TE best for Skipper, but as you said, his height is a major concern.

Also thanks for Crawley!

That's cute that our message board let you join. Volnation wouldn't let me discuss your slandering of Kenneth Crawley this spring when your fans were trashing him when he chose CU over Tennessee. Good luck with Dooley, I like the man as he's a UVA guy, but I highly doubt we see Dooley in charge 5 years down the road (or 3).

That's cute that our message board let you join. Volnation wouldn't let me discuss your slandering of Kenneth Crawley this spring when your fans were trashing him when he chose CU over Tennessee. Good luck with Dooley, I like the man as he's a UVA guy, but I highly doubt we see Dooley in charge 5 years down the road (or 3).

VN has a quick ban hammer.

Crawley is a great talent, wish he would have been a Vol. We just couldn't take the risk of him not qualifying.

VN has a quick ban hammer.

Crawley is a great talent, wish he would have been a Vol. We just couldn't take the risk of him not qualifying.

Quick is an understatement -- I hadn't even said anything yet!

Good luck with Skipper, and as I said, I'm pulling for Dooley to succeed. He's one of the good guys in the SEC coaching scene. Looks like you guys are facing the uphill climb that we are to get back to our respective traditional success. Been to Knoxville a few times. Wonderful facilities.

As for Crawley, if he can get into CU, he could certainly have handled Tennessee.

Congrats to Dan and the Vols.

Not to sound like sour grapes or anything, but I did just hear through the grapevine that not only are there concerns about Skippers height, but there is also some question of his drive and desire, and that he may take plays off from time to time. That isn't from CU, but rather from some friend of a friend type folks whose kids play with him. Take it with a grain of salt.

Back